Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX Shell script to work with .xml file Post 302902032 by pilnet101 on Saturday 17th of May 2014 04:06:13 PM
Old 05-17-2014
The above post has a few bugs (i.e. Description variable will not show).

This is messy and probably can be condensed a lot, but it was fun to create Smilie. Hope it helps:

Code:
awk 'BEGIN{ORS=" "}1' xml|sed -r 's/<!--[^-]+-->//g'|awk '{gsub(/\/>/,"\n",$0)}1'|awk '{$1=""}1'|sed -r 's/\w+="[^"]+"/&uniQue/g'|awk 'BEGIN{RS="uniQue"}1'|sed 's/^ //g'

This User Gave Thanks to pilnet101 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Text File into XML using Unix Shell Scripts

Hi everyone, If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert a file into xml format using Unix shell scripts. The file has fields with each field having a certain number of bytes, but the fields are not delimited by anything... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Laud12345
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to invoke a shell script from xml file.

hi all, forgive me if this question is not relevant to this section. i have a shell file that will automatically deploy the files that are necessary and will compile them. i need to automate this management process through cruise control, for this i need to know whether it is possible for me to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to nvoke a xml file from a shell script

hi all , i have a shell script that performs all the steps required for deployment of a tar file .. there is a tool that helps me in finding out what files should go in that tar file... this tool is fully in xml as it invokes ant ( a build tool in java ).... i want to invoke that xml file from a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sais
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove xml namespace from xml file using shell script?

I have an xml file: <AutoData xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"> <Table1> <Data1 10 </Data1> <Data2 20 </Data2> <Data3 40 </Data3> <Table1> </AutoData> and I have to remove the portion xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" only. I tried using sed... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary1978
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Xml file wallpaper

Hello, I have a custom background in my Fedora 14 OS. which changes every 10 mins, I was able to edit an Xml file for this purpose. The structure of the Xml file looks as follows : <!-- This animation will start at time shown above. --> <static> <duration>600.0</duration> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to read XML file

Hi unix Gurus, I am really new to Unix Scripting. Please help me to create a shell script which reads the xml file and from that i need to fetch a particular information. For example <SOURCE BUSINESSNAME ="" DATABASETYPE ="Teradata" DBDNAME ="DWPROD3" DESCRIPTION ="" NAME... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmilePlease
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to read an xml file through shell script?

Hey , can we read an xml file and make changes in it through shell script. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramsavi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass the parameter in xml file in UNIX shell script?

Hi, I have an XML file like the following... <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?> <ONDEMAND_JOB VERSION="5.1" LOCALE="en_US"> <IMPORT_JOBSET TC_CONNECTION_NAME="default" ENVIRONMENT="PRD" USERNAME="Administrator" PASSWORD="AdminPassword" CALENDAR="Main Monthly Calendar"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debalina Roy
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX shell script required to read two columns from xml

Hello All, I am new to unix scripting. I need to read FROMINSTANCE, FROMFIELD from below XML code and need to write a script for insert into SQ_EPIC values( "DID", "PROJECT_NAME") Select DID, PROJECT_NAME from EPIC<CONNECTOR TOINSTANCETYPE="Source Qualifier" TOINSTANCE="SQ_EPIC" TOFIELD="DID"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar.lsb
7 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)