Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to combing output of cut commands with a delimiter? Post 302901739 by Yoda on Thursday 15th of May 2014 10:37:50 AM
Old 05-15-2014
Here is an awk approach:
Code:
awk '
        BEGIN {
                D[++c] = "4-6"
                D[++c] = "7-8"
                D[++c] = "9-26"
                D[++c] = "27-28"
                D[++c] = "29-46"
                D[++c] = "47-48"
                D[++c] = "49-51"
                D[++c] = "52-53"
                D[++c] = "54-55"
                D[++c] = "56-64"
                D[++c] = "65-69"
                D[++c] = "70-76"
                D[++c] = "77-81"
        }
        {
                f = 1
                for ( i = 1; i <= c; i++ )
                {
                        split ( D[i], T, "-" )
                        if ( f )
                                printf "%s", substr ( $0, T[1], (T[2] - T[1]) + 1 )
                        else
                                printf ",%s", substr ( $0, T[1], (T[2] - T[1]) + 1 )
                        f = 0
                }
                printf ",%s\n", substr ( $0, T[2] )
        }
' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

\r as delimiter in cut

I need to use \r as a delimiter in the -d option of the cut comand . Any help ? Thanks in advance . SD (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shweta_d
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

use a word as a delimiter with cut

Is there a way to use a word as a delimiter with cut? Or is there a way to use sed or awk with a word as a delimiter? I don't care which program I use for a delimiter I just want to use a word as a delimiter. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut -d with more than 1 delimiter?

I need to cut or otherwise get the 4th and 5th position output of for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done example output is: h;13;1310318701;443;93 I only need ";443;93" from any given run of "for i in `date +%H` ; do vnstat --dumpdb | grep "h;$i" ; done" Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut columns with delimiter

HI, I have a file like below "103865","103835","Zming","","Zhu","103965","Sunnyvale","US", "116228","116227","Morlla","","Kowalski","113228","Paese "(Treviso)""IT" I want to validate the 7th column which is below. "Sunnyvale" "Paese In the above 7th column Paese is not ended with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set output delimiter as tab in cut command

I can not make it work, it prints \t rather than introduce tabs. cut -d "," -f 4,8 Samples.csv --output-delimiter="\t" | sort > out Since I am running this command within a shell script, I tried manually inserting tab in this command, still does not work. I am using bash shell Suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to cut all string after the last delimiter?

hi all, suppose a string: abc/def/ghi/jkl/mn.txt and i want to get the file name without the path. however, different files have different paths, therefore the number of delimiter is uncertain. thanks so much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut delimiter and save

i have list of names in a text file and I wanted to delete the commas en every line. for example: inside the text is a list of names in it with commas after each line. I wanted to delete these commas. which command must I execute for this? unix, dale, shawn, aaron, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garfish
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut cmd with delimiter as |#|

Hi All- We have a file data as below with delimiter as |#| 10|#|20|#|ABC 13|#|23|#|PBC If I want to cut the 2nd field out of this, below command is not working as multiple pipe is causing an issue , it seems cut -f2 -d"|#|" <file_name> can you please help to provide the correct command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Combing Two Commands

I have been digging deeper into Python and want to make my code as efficient as possible. The less line of code the better so I have been experimenting and wanted to ask the Python gurus if this is possible. So: ... ... In : kbfileurl = re.search('<p>For more information about this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
6 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)