Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Line number in sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Line number in sed Post 302901269 by chacko193 on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 05:30:06 AM
Old 05-13-2014
Assuming that the whatever follows "week" is the line number, try:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
 echo "enter week" 
read week 
line=$(echo $week | awk '$1 ~ /week/ {print $2}')
[ ! -z $line ] && sed -n "$line p" inputfile >>file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number a list at end of line using 'sed'

Hi All I have a script which has produced a list, I have used 'sed' to number my list, but i want to list at end of line with the first line starting at zero (0) and brackets round it ie My List i want Hello (0) this (1) day (2) can (3) be (4) sed '/./=' filename | sed '/./N; s/\n/) /'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chassis
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED: Update Last Line with Number Lines in File

Hi, I have to update last line of a text file with the number of lines in that file. This last line will have text such as 0.0000 and I should replace this with number lines. If lines are 20 then it should be replaced with 00020. Any sed or awk cmd help would be appreciated (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkux
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert comment at defined line number

Hi there, may someone easily help me on this : I want to insert a text in a specific line number like : linenumb2start=`cat memory_map.dld | nl -ba | egrep -i "label" | cut -f1` line2insert=`expr $linenumb2start + 2` and now I need to replace something like {} with {comment} at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homefp
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to get a line number to delete, piping through sed

Alright, I'm sure there's a more efficient way to do this... I'm not an expert by any means. What I'm trying to do is search a file for lines that match the two input words (first name, last name) in order to remove that line. The removal part is what I'm struggling with. Here is my code: echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lazypeterson
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script - print the line number along with the line

Hi, I want to print the line number with the pattern of the line on a same line using multi-patterns in sed. But i don't know how to do it. For example, I have a file abc def ghi I want to print 1 abc 2 def 3 ghi I know how to write it one line code, but i don't know how to put... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntpntp
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on Sed/awk/getting line number from file

I Have file1 with below lines : #HostNameSelection=0 :NotUsed #HostNameSelection=1 :Automatic #HostNameSelection=3 :NotForced I have file2 which has similar lines but with different values I want to copy the changes from file1 to file2 ,line by line only if line begins with '#'. for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvr
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

pass a variable line number to sed

num=10 sed -n '$num p' test.txt sed -n '10 p' test.txt works however i am putting the sed command in a loop and the line number is not static Can someone please help me how to achive this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: figure20012
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed print range of lines between line number and pattern

Hi, I have a file as below This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> This is the line three This is the line four <\XMLTAG> Output of the SED command need to be as below. This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> Please do the need to needful to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RMN
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies
cronosplit(1m)															    cronosplit(1m)

NAME
cronosplit - split log files into cronolog-compatible files SYNOPSIS
cronosplit --template=TEMPLATE [--print-invalid] [--help] [--version] file ... DESCRIPTION
cronosplit is a simple program that reads lines from a set of input log files, which must be in Common Log Format or NCSA Combined/XLF/ELF Format and write each lines to an output files, the name of which is constructed using the template specified and timestamp from the the line. The template uses the same format specifiers as the Unix date(1) command (which are the same as the standard C strftime library function). Options cronosplit accepts the following options and arguments: --template=TEMPLATE specifies the template for the output log files (using the format specifiers described below). --print-invalid print invalid log file entries to the standard error stream. --utime update modification time of output file according to last parsed log entry. --verbose print additional status messages to the standard error stream. --debug print debug messages to the standard error stream. --help print a help message and then exit. --version print version information and exit. Template format Each character in the template represents a character in the expanded filename, except for date and time format specifiers, which are replaced by their expansion. Format specifiers consist of a `%' followed by one of the following characters: % a literal % character n a new-line character t a horizontal tab character Time fields: H hour (00..23) I hour (01..12) p the locale's AM or PM indicator M minute (00..59) S second (00..61, which allows for leap seconds) X the locale's time representation (e.g.: "15:12:47") Z time zone (e.g. GMT), or nothing if the time zone cannot be determined Date fields: a the locale's abbreviated weekday name (e.g.: Sun..Sat) A the locale's full weekday name (e.g.: Sunday .. Saturday) b the locale's abbreviated month name (e.g.: Jan .. Dec) B the locale's full month name, (e.g.: January .. December) c the locale's date and time (e.g.: "Sun Dec 15 14:12:47 GMT 1996") d day of month (01 .. 31) j day of year (001 .. 366) m month (01 .. 12) U week of the year with Sunday as first day of week (00..53, where week 1 is the week containing the first Sunday of the year) W week of the year with Monday as first day of week (00..53, where week 1 is the week containing the first Monday of the year) w day of week (0 .. 6, where 0 corresponds to Sunday) x locale's date representation (e.g. today in Britain: "12/04/96") y year without the century (00 .. 99) Y year with the century (1970 .. 2038) Other specifiers may be available depending on the C library's implementation of the strftime function. SEE ALSO
apache(1m) cronolog(1m) date(1) strftime(3) environ(5) More information and the latest version of cronolog and cronosplit can be obtained from http://www.ford-mason.co.uk/resources/cronolog/ If you have any suggestions, bug reports, fixes, or enhancements, please mail them to the author. More about Apache Documentation for the Apache http server is available from http://www.apache.org AUTHOR
Andrew Ford <A.Ford@ford-mason.co.uk> cronosplit is based on a script called splitlog by Roy Fielding, which is part of the wwwstat package. March 1998 cronosplit(1m)