Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Variable substitution problem Post 302901264 by chacko193 on Tuesday 13th of May 2014 05:20:13 AM
Old 05-13-2014
${var?message} will display the "message" when "var" is not set.
Code:
[root@it misc]# echo ${aVarNotSet?"aVarNotSet is not set"}
-bash: aVarNotSet: aVarNotSet is not set

${var+message} will substitute "message" if "var" is set, i.e., it will say that "var" contains "message" instead of the value that is stored in "var"
Code:
[root@it misc]# aVarNotSet="aVarNotSet is set"
[root@it misc]# echo ${aVarNotSet+"aVarNotSet is not set"}
aVarNotSet is not set
[root@it misc]# echo ${aVarNotSet}
aVarNotSet is set

As to your question, in the second case you are assigning the value to "parameter". So, now the "parameter" contains "this is two", and thus it is set.

In the third case it do not assign any value to "parameter", just substitute "this is three" instead of "this is two" and thus "parameter" remains unchanged.
In the last case it just checks is "parameter" is set, if not, prints the error message, "this is three". Since in this case "parameter" is set, you will not see the error message.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Substitution in a variable

Hey All, I'm trying to clean up a variable using sed but It dosn't seem to work. I'm trying to find all the spaces and replace them with "\ " (a slash and a space). For Example "Hello World" should become "Hello\ World". But it does nothing. If I put it directly into the command line it works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: spragueg
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variable substitution

Hi everyone, I have a simple question to ask : In a script that I'm writting, I need to create variables on-the-fly. For instance, for every iterartion of the following loop a var_X variable should be generated : #!/bin/ksh a="1 2 3" for i in $a do var_${i}=$i echo "${var_$i}" done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ck-18
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

I have run into a wall with my iptables firewall scripting. I am blocking all of the private side IP addresses on the WAN interface on systems running NAT. However, if the system is not running NAT and needs to allow access to the local LAN on the WAN interface, I need to block all but one of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garak
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable substitution

Hi, That might be pretty simple. How can I generate a variable name and get their value ? Thanks a lot. Something like: >CUSTOMER_NF=26 > object=CUSTOMER > echo ${object}_NF CUSTOMER_NF > echo ${${object}_NF} ksh: ${${object}_NF}: 0403-011 The specified substitution is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leo_NN
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed variable substitution problem

Hi, I am facing a strange problem. I have a script that used the following to search and replace text: sed 's/'"${find_var_parm}"'/'"${find_var_filter}"'/g' $ParmFile > $TempFile The values of $find_var_parm and $find_var_filter are set based on search criteria. The above seems to be working... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Substitution

Hi , I have a variable as follows, Temp=`cat ABC.txt | cut -c5-` This will yeild a part of the date. say , 200912. I would like to substitute this variable's value in a filename. eg: File200912F.zip when i say File$TempF.zip , it is not substituting. Any help ? Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution

Hi, I have to write a shell script in which I have to substitute a variable within a variable. For example, var1=aaa var2=file.$var1.txt The output should be, echo $var2 file.aaa.txt Can someone please help me in getting this. I tried using eval, but it didnt work. I might be using it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable substitution problem

Hi I am having a file like this ############################## j=1 while ] do temp_5=MODULE$j awk ' $1 ~ /'${!temp_5}'/ { do something }1' file1 > file2 ((j = j +1 )) done ################### Setting the variables like this (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
8 Replies
INTVAL(3)								 1								 INTVAL(3)

intval - Get the integer value of a variable

SYNOPSIS
int intval (mixed $var, [int $base = 10]) DESCRIPTION
Returns the integer value of $var, using the specified $base for the conversion (the default is base 10). intval(3) should not be used on objects, as doing so will emit an E_NOTICE level error and return 1. PARAMETERS
o $var - The scalar value being converted to an integer o $base - The base for the conversion Note If $base is 0, the base used is determined by the format of $var: o if string includes a "0x" (or "0X") prefix, the base is taken as 16 (hex); otherwise, o if string starts with "0", the base is taken as 8 (octal); otherwise, o the base is taken as 10 (decimal). RETURN VALUES
The integer value of $var on success, or 0 on failure. Empty arrays return 0, non-empty arrays return 1. The maximum value depends on the system. 32 bit systems have a maximum signed integer range of -2147483648 to 2147483647. So for example on such a system, intval('1000000000000') will return 2147483647. The maximum signed integer value for 64 bit systems is 9223372036854775807. Strings will most likely return 0 although this depends on the leftmost characters of the string. The common rules of integer casting apply. EXAMPLES
Example #1 intval(3) examples The following examples are based on a 32 bit system. <?php echo intval(42); // 42 echo intval(4.2); // 4 echo intval('42'); // 42 echo intval('+42'); // 42 echo intval('-42'); // -42 echo intval(042); // 34 echo intval('042'); // 42 echo intval(1e10); // 1410065408 echo intval('1e10'); // 1 echo intval(0x1A); // 26 echo intval(42000000); // 42000000 echo intval(420000000000000000000); // 0 echo intval('420000000000000000000'); // 2147483647 echo intval(42, 8); // 42 echo intval('42', 8); // 34 echo intval(array()); // 0 echo intval(array('foo', 'bar')); // 1 ?> NOTES
Note The $base parameter has no effect unless the $var parameter is a string. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | Throws E_NOTICE and returns 1, when an object is | | | passed to $var. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boolval(3), floatval(3), strval(3), settype(3), is_numeric(3), Type juggling, BCMath Arbitrary Precision Mathematics Functions. PHP Documentation Group INTVAL(3)