Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with using awk to print pattern/occurence Post 302900836 by cpp_beginner on Friday 9th of May 2014 04:36:18 AM
Old 05-09-2014
Help with using awk to print pattern/occurence

Hi,

Do anybody know how to use awk to count the pattern at specific column?
Input file
Code:
M2A928K 419 ath-miR159a,gma-miR159a-3p,ptc-miR159a 60 miR235a

Output file
Code:
M2A928K 419 ath-miR159a,gma-miR159a-3p,ptc-miR159a 60 miR235a 3

I plan to count how many "miR" in column 3 only and print out the count at the last column.
From the above example, column 3 has 3 pattern of "miR" word. Thus it shown 3 at the last column of output file.
Thanks for any advice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to print if the search pattern contains speace

the data file is as below: > cat master.cnf /usr| location for usr|5 /src/ver1| version 1 |10 /src/ver2/log| ver 2 log |25 /src/sys/apps/log| Application log for sys|36 /src/sys/apps/conf| configuration location for app|45 /src/sys/apps/bin| binary location app|55my script is as below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McLan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use to awk to match pattern, and print the pattern

Hi, I know how to use awk to search some expressions like five consecutive numbers, , this is easy. However, how do I make awk print the pattern that is been matched? For example: input: usa,canada99292,japan222,france59664,egypt223 output:99292,59664 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK, print no of records after pattern match.

Hi ALL :). i have a file, cat 3 + dog 5 + rat 6 - i want to print no of record having pattern "+". thanks in advance :confused:. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the continuous occurence of pattern using awk ?

Hello all, I have a input file like this. input file --------------- abc ab001 + ab002 zca acb ab006 + ab007 caz cba ab003 + ab004 zca bac ab004 - ab005 zac bca ab002 - ab003 cza cba ab005 + ab006 acz cba ab005 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: admax
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern between two variables awk sed

I am trying to print text between two variables in a file I have tried the following things but none seem to work: awk ' /'$a'/ {flag=1;next} /'$b'/{flag=0} flag { print }' file and also sed "/$a/,/$b/p" file But none seem to work Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumbaba
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK: Grep Pattern and print help

I wanted to get outcome from a big file with pattern quoted: Line FSP LSP SR RL Test1 100 300 4 4000 Test2 1 300 2 300 Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: rtsiahaan
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print all lines after a pattern is found

Is there a way with aw to print all lines after a string is found There is a file like this ....... ........ 2012/19/11 :11.58 PM some data lne no date 2012/19/11 :11.59 PM some other data 2012/20/11 :12.00 AM some other data some line without dates some more lines without dates... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: swayam123
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between patterns - first occurence, second occurence etc

I have a file # cat asasas AAAAAA 11 22 33 44 BBBBB NILNILNIL AAAAAA 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 BBBBB NILNILNIL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match pattern and print the line number of occurence using awk

Hi, I have a simple problem but i guess stupid enough to figure it out. i have thousands rows of data. and i need to find match patterns of two columns and print the number of rows. for example: inputfile abd abp 123 abc abc 325 ndc ndc 451 mjk lkj... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract whole word preceding a specific character pattern with first occurence of the pattern

Hello. Here is a file contents : declare -Ax NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY=(="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" ="§" .................. ="§"Here is a pattern =I want to extract 'NEW_FORCE_IGNORE_ARRAY' which is the whole word before the first occurrence of pattern '=' Is there a better solution than mine :... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD