Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replacing part of a delimited string Post 302900460 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 7th of May 2014 03:00:08 AM
Old 05-07-2014
awk's standard field splitting is done according to the FS variable. There are several ways to set that variable, one is with the -F directive. The split() function also uses the FS variable, but it can be overridden with a 3rd field to the function, which is done here..

These are just two different approaches, you can use sed's regex to specify the pattern that needs to be substituted (this could also be done with regex in awk for that matter), or you can use awk's field splitting capabilities (which technically also uses regex BTW)..

---
SriniShoo's solution would also need to set the OFS variable to '\t', for it to work properly:
Code:
awk -F "\t" '{split($2, a, ";"); $2 = a[2]}1' OFS='\t' file

Otherwise the end result would be space-separated rather than TAB-separated..

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 05-07-2014 at 04:07 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help regarding replacing a part of string

Hi all suppose i have a string "abacus sabre", i need to replace occurences 'ab' with 'cd' and i need to store this result into same string and i need to return this result from script to the calling function, where as the string is passed from calling function. i tried like this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veerapureddy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing the part of file name?

Hi All One of my script generate following files. These files has static TIMESTAMP 20080227. AccAdd_20080227_1000.dat AccBal_20080227_1000.dat Acc_20080227_1000.dat AccGrpMem_20080227_1000.dat AccToCust_20080227_1000.dat What i need to do is, once the file has been generated, it... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.Sagpariya
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing a field in pipe delimited TEXT File

Hi, I want to replace a field in a text delimited file with the actual number of records in the same file. HDR|ABCD|10-13-2008 to 10-19-2008.txt|10-19-2008|XYZ DTL|0|5464-1|0|02-02-2008|02-03-2008||||F||||||||| DTL|1|5464-1|1|02-02-2008|02-03-2008|1||JJJ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi0435
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing some part of file

Hello, I have two files, consider that as file1 and file2. Here file1 is the master file. file1 will contain data like GS*RA*071000013*102562451P*091130*0520*334052023*X*003050 ST*820*334052023 BPR*C*509.77*C*ACH*CTX*01*071000013*DA*5529085*9000002008**01*071000013*DA*5529085*091130... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: atlantis
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing part of a pattern in sed

Hi I have a piece of xml that has a pattern like this <int>159</int><int>30</int> I want to find this pattern but only substitute the second part of the pattern to {rid1}. Is that possible in sed ? Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:01 PM... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vnn
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing part of the sentence using echo and sed

Hi, Iam using ksh and trying to execute the following syntax to replace one word of the sentence with a new word. But somehow sed is not able to replace the old value with new value. Please let me know where Iam going wrong. Sample Code : --> export line="VORTEX,abcdef" export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajithab
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming Filenames by replacing a part

Hi, I have little experience on Shell scripts, I searched the forum but couldn't make out what I want. I want to rename a set of files to a new file name a_b_20100101 c_d_20100101 ....................... ...................... I want to rename the files to a_b_20140101... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JaisonJ
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing part of filename

Hi guys! I have quite a lot of files like all_10001_ct1212307460308.alf* and I want to get rid of the first number for all at once like: all_ct1212307460308.alf* How can I do this in the shell? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TimmyTiz
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a column in a pipe delimited file

Hi, I have a pipe delimited file as below and I need to replace the 2nd column of each line with null values. 1|10/15/2011|fname1|lname1 2|10/15/2012|fname2|lname2 3|10/15/2013|fname3|lname3 Output file: 1||fname1|lname1 2||fname2|lname2 3||fname3|lname3 I tried this ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: member2014
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help/Advise please for converting space delimited string variable to comma delimited with quote

Hi, I am wanting to create a script that will construct a SQL statement based on a a space delimited string that it read from a config file. Example of the SQL will be For example, it will read a string like "AAA BBB CCC" and assign to a variable named IN_STRING. I then concatenate... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)