Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Redirect to a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirect to a file Post 302900437 by Rossdba on Tuesday 6th of May 2014 07:46:36 PM
Old 05-06-2014
Redirect to a file

Hi,

Is there a way to redirect the output of a set of commands to a file instead of using << at every command in bash shell. For eg

Code:
(echo hostname 
echo "Comparing 2 files"
comm -3 file1 file2) >>file3

Last edited by Don Cragun; 05-07-2014 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Change HTML tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to Redirect the error messages from Syslog file to our own Application Log File

Hello, I am New to Unix. I am Using HP-UX 9000 Series for my Application. I am Currently Facing an Issue that the error messages are being written in the syslog file instead of the Application Log File. The Codes for that Syslog.h is written in Pro*C. I want to know how to Redirect these... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramaniam
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix

how to redirect the growing contents of log file to another file in unix (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare and redirect to new file

hi i have two file a.txt 123,b,c,d,e 111,c,d,e,f, 456,a,k,j,h b.txt 123 678 987 321 456 i want to compare these two files(match content of b first coloum with a ) and o/p should be like 123,d,e 456,j,h pls help.....:) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anish19
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

TOP redirect to file

Okay, this is what I have and what I need. top -p 11111 >> test.txt Unfortunately, when I do that in a script, when I run my next command, could be just an 'ls -l' it says that the process stops and it doesn't write to the test.txt file anymore. I guess the first part isn't as big of a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect lines to another file

Hi, I have a file with a size of 10 mb and I need to redirect some specific lines to a new files. For eg. Executed Restore for 11227.EDCS.551.01.201110 from /tmp/bk/restore/CR81500/content/S24U15VA2.2010-10-29.16:49.EDT/ArchiveFile_11227.EDCS.551.01.201110.zip Operation output: <U+FEFF>Oct... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh- redirect stderr to file and then modify the file

I have the following: remsh $host -n 2>>syslog_issue_list.txt grep -i -e "EMS" -e "error" -e "warning" -e "excessive" /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk /"$DATE1"/ | awk -vhost="$host" '!/remsh|telnetd/{print host "\n", $0 >> "syslog_issue_list.txt"}' I am creating a health script that has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipblah84
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Variable Value to a File

I have shell script generate.sh that has var="HP-UX" I am following example 19-8 in the below document. Here Documents The output.txt is generated however I want the value of variable var to be reflected in the contents of the output.txt file cat <<'EOF' #!/bin/bash connect("Welcome... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from input and redirect to output file

Hi , i am having an file which contains 5 file_name data, i need to read the file name and will perform certain operation and generate out file names with named as 5 individual file_names for eg: file.txt contains file_name1.txt|hai file_name2.txt|bye file_name3.txt|how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)