Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting a delimited text file Post 302899305 by lupin..the..3rd on Monday 28th of April 2014 03:50:57 PM
Old 04-28-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrow
Code:
awk 'NR>1 {print > (OFN=FILENAME"."(NR-1)); close(OFN)}' RS="--dump[^\n]*" file

EDIT:
... implemented this above ...
On my system (HP-UX 11.31) I get:

awk: Input line Disposition: attachm cannot be longer than 3,000 bytes.
The input line number is 53. The file is qsubmit.processed.dump.
The source line number is 1.

FYI the input file has emails as large as several megabytes (because of mime encoded attachments).

Thanks!

---------- Post updated at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
It is hard to get csplit (and split) to drop the delimiter lines.
Dropping them is ideal, but not necessarily a problem for me, as I can "grep -v" to remove them in a second pass.

---------- Post updated at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:48 AM ----------

Ok, I got what I needed using this. Thank you all for the helpful ideas, it got me pointed down the right path.

Code:
csplit -n 5 $1 /-dump-/ {*}

for i in $(ls xx*); do
  awk 'NR > 2' $i > ./output/$i.eml
  rm $i
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting a pipe delimited file in unix

Could one of you shad some light on this: I need to split the file by determining the record count and than splitting it up into 4 files. Please note, this is not a fixed record length but rather a "|" delimited file. I am not sure as how to handle reminder/offset for the 4th file. For... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddedic
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting tab-delimited file with awk

Hi all, I need help to split a tab-delimited list into separate files by the filename-field. The list is already sorted ascendingly by filename, an example list would look like this; filename001 word1 word2 filename001 word3 word4 filename002 word1 word2 filename002 word3 word4... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: perkele
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting text file into smaller ones

Hello We have a text file with 400,000 lines and need to split into multiple files each with 5000 lines ( will result in 80 files) Got an idea of using head and tail commands to do that with a loop but looked not efficient. Please advise the simple and yet effective way to do it. TIA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert text to columns in tab delimited text file

Hello Gurus, I have a text file containing nearly 12,000 tab delimited characters with 4000 rows. If the file size is small, excel can convert the text into coloumns. However, the file that I have is very big. Can some body help me in solving this problem? The input file example, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
6 Replies

5. Linux

Splitting a Text File by Rows

Hello, Please help me. I have hundreds of text files composed of several rows of information and I need to separate each row into a new text file. I was trying to figure out how to split the text file into different text files, based on each row of text in the original text file. Here is an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvdrevilla
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a text file with irregular spacing into a space delimited text file?

I have a text file with irregular spacing between values which makes it really difficult to manipulate. Is there an easy way to convert it into a space delimited text file so that all the spaces, double spaces, triple spaces, tabs between numbers are converted into spaces. The file looks like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting tab delimited strings

hi i have a requirement to input a string to a shell script and to split the string to multiple fields, the string is copied from a row of three columns (name,age,address) in an excel sheet. the three columns (from excel) are seperated with a tab when pasted in the command prompt, but when the ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting delimited string into rows

Hi, I have a requirement that has 50-60 million records that we need to split a delimited string (Delimeter is newline) into rows. Source Date: SerialID UnidID GENRE 100 A11 AAAchar(10)BBB 200 B11 CCCchar(10)DDD(10)ZZZZ Field 'GENRE' is a string with new line as delimeter and not sure... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a text file into smaller files with awk, how to create a different name for each new file

Hello, I have some large text files that look like, putrescine Mrv1583 01041713302D 6 5 0 0 0 0 999 V2000 2.0928 -0.2063 0.0000 N 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5.6650 0.2063 0.0000 N 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.5217 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
csplit(1)							   User Commands							 csplit(1)

NAME
csplit - split files based on context SYNOPSIS
csplit [-ks] [-f prefix] [-n number] file arg1... argn DESCRIPTION
The csplit utility reads the file named by the file operand, writes all or part of that file into other files as directed by the arg oper- ands, and writes the sizes of the files. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f prefix Names the created files prefix00, prefix01, ..., prefixn. The default is xx00 ... xxn. If the prefix argument would create a file name exceeding 14 bytes, an error results. In that case, csplit exits with a diagnostic message and no files are created. -k Leaves previously created files intact. By default, csplit removes created files if an error occurs. -n number Uses number decimal digits to form filenames for the file pieces. The default is 2. -s Suppresses the output of file size messages. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of a text file to be split. If file is -, the standard input will be used. The operands arg1 ... argn can be a combination of the following: /rexp/[offset] Create a file using the content of the lines from the current line up to, but not including, the line that results from the evaluation of the regular expression with offset, if any, applied. The regular expression rexp must follow the rules for basic regular expressions. Regular expressions can include the use of '/' and '\%'. These forms must be properly quoted with single quotes, since "" is special to the shell. The optional offset must be a positive or negative integer value representing a number of lines. The integer value must be preceded by + or -. If the selection of lines from an offset expression of this type would create a file with zero lines, or one with greater than the number of lines left in the input file, the results are unspecified. After the section is created, the current line will be set to the line that results from the evaluation of the regular expression with any offset applied. The pattern match of rexp always is applied from the cur- rent line to the end of the file. %rexp%[offset] This operand is the same as /rexp/[offset], except that no file will be created for the selected section of the input file. line_no Create a file from the current line up to (but not including) the line number line_no. Lines in the file will be numbered starting at one. The current line becomes line_no. {num} Repeat operand. This operand can follow any of the operands described previously. If it follows a rexp type operand, that operand will be applied num more times. If it follows a line_no operand, the file will be split every line_no lines, num times, from that point. An error will be reported if an operand does not reference a line between the current position and the end of the file. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of csplit when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Splitting and combining files This example creates four files, cobol00...cobol03. example% csplit -f cobol filename '/procedure division/' /par5./ /par16./ After editing the ``split'' files, they can be recombined as follows: example% cat cobol0[0-3] > filename Note: This example overwrites the original file. Example 2: Splitting a file into equal parts This example splits the file at every 100 lines, up to 10,000 lines. The -k option causes the created files to be retained if there are less than 10,000 lines; however, an error message would still be printed. example% csplit -k filename 100 {99} Example 3: Creating a file for separate C routines If prog.c follows the normal C coding convention (the last line of a routine consists only of a } in the first character position), this example creates a file for each separate C routine (up to 21) in prog.c. example% csplit -k prog.c '%main(%' '/^}/+1' {20} ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of csplit: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sed(1), split(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
The diagnostic messages are self-explanatory, except for the following: arg - out of range The given argument did not reference a line between the current position and the end of the file. SunOS 5.10 4 Dec 2003 csplit(1)