Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed command problem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers sed command problem Post 302898777 by scriptor on Thursday 24th of April 2014 12:49:11 AM
Old 04-24-2014
Hi

the suggested command still not working

Code:

$ sed -n 'p:n' alarm 
sed: 1: "p:n": extra characters at the end of p command
$

scriptor

below snippet takem from online tutorial which i am using for learning sed

Code:

If we want to print every other line, we can specify the interval after the "~" character. The following line will print every other line starting with line 1: 
sed -n '1~2p' BSD

can ypu please explain me this line also . what does it mean here
Code:
If we want to print every other line,

by saying every other line i am not getiing their point

Last edited by scriptor; 04-24-2014 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: adding some more info

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command problem

Hi! here is my problem : $ more file yopyop:FIToB8df02f:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh $grep yopyop file | sed s/FIToB8df02f/passe/ yopyop:passe:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh $more file yopyop:FIToB8df02f:10200:351:yoyo:/home/yopyop:/usr/bin/ksh ...when i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tomapam
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command problem

I am cating a file with passwords into another file. I want to replace the the password with **** and it is not working. Here is my command cat testing | sed 's/`echo ${pass}`/*****/'>>out1 ${pass} is the password that I want to replace before it goes into out1 Anyone know what I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command problem

hi I am using "sed" command to find and replace a text in a file. if the searched string is in the last line with no newline character in the end, it doesn't retrive this line. What is the solution to this? i am using sed as: sed -e "s/abc/ABC/g" test.txt where i am replacing abc with ABC (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharmesht
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem while using Sed command

I want to write the output of From_Date_Parm and To_Date_Parm to the target file. I want to write a script by passing the filename. In my case the file is TransactionParams I tried it through command line. noofdays=TransactionParams sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopskrish
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

where is the problem in my sed command....

for example i have the file that contain several line..and i want to swap the first word and the second word than i store it into new file.. on the command i wrote: sed -e "s/^\(*\)\(*\)/\2\1/g" file > swapfile i think its already correct... but i got the error sed: -e expression... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: P_W
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in sed command

Hi, i have a script to replace a string. $ cat List.txt /DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/abcdefgh /DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/abcd /DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/abcdefghijk /DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/xyz $ ind=`/DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/abcd` $ replace=`#/DIR1/DIR2/DIR3/abcd` $ sed "s|$find|$replace|g" List.txt>cat NewList.txt The aim of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsaravanan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with sed command

Hi, I used sed command to replace õ character. sed -n '1,$s/õ/o/gp' inputfile > outputfile The problem is there are 5 records in input file and 2 records has that õ character. So after using the sed command, in output file Iam getting only those records which has character õ replaced by o.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need help in sed command problem

i use 'sed' with this syntax " sed "/$lineerr/d" $fileerr > $fileerr"_Bak" && mv $fileerr"_Bak" $fileerr" it's work to remove the line that have the word in $lineerr but it also remove my last line in file too. - -" my input File $ cat fileerr.txt xx|1111111111 xx|2222222222... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chalot99
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sed command

Hi, I have a file with data demo_abc demo abc demo-abc abc Now i need to extract only abc from all the lines and print. i used the pattern /*$/ . Can any one help me how to extract text "abc" only. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Problem with using sed command

I have tried to print the commands which are executed today from history file using sed command by putting the range but i am unable to get it.can anyone help with this is script.I am pasting the script below that i have tried . today=$(date "+%F") echo $today yest=$(date --date="yesterday" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iosjsk
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)