Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with Execl system call in a C program? Post 302898503 by bakunin on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 01:06:42 PM
Old 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniviking10
Thanks for the help though..not.
I do not understand how perderabo has earned your ridicule by honestly trying to help you. If you do not understand it than this is probably more your fault than it is his, no?

Having said this: in your script is a typo which prevents it from being executed properly: search for "sameNos" and you should see it yourself.

The "execl()" system call loads (a copy of) an executable file into memory, prepares a runtime environment for it and starts this loaded copy of the file as a process. Obviously to load it into memory it needs the name of the file, not of some directory, no?

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

2. Programming

parent not waiting until child complete executing another program through execl()

Hi, I am calling a program that greps and returns 72536 bytes of data on STDOUT, say about 7000 lines of data on STDOUT. I use pipe from the program am calling the above program. Naturally, I execute the above program (through execl() ) throught the child process and try to read the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vvaidyan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to call another program

Hi, I would like to know how to call a program "cmp_size" ... where to put in progam to run it ex: program checkdisk is below, and it will call a nother problem "cmp_size" Do I just put the cmp_size program at the end of this program. Thank you very much, # check all directory for size... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xitrum
3 Replies

4. Programming

A question about the system call mount in a C program

Dear all, Currently I'm working on a C program (OS = ubuntu 9.0.4)in which a USB key will be mounted and umounted for several times. I read the man page of the mount system call. I use the following test code #include <sys/mount.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { if... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script from C program by calling fork and execl

I need to write a c program that uses the fork and excel system calls to run the shell script mode invoked like this: "./mode 644 ls -l" (that is the argumetns will always be 644 ls -l) here's the mode script: #!/bin/sh octal="$1" shift find . -maxdepth 1 -perm $octal -exec $@ {} \; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: computethis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call a mainframe program

Is it possible to call a mainframe program in UNIX script. I am using HP-UNIX. If so can any let me know the way to do it. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atlantis
1 Replies

7. Programming

Notification email in C program, via system call? or?

Hello everyone! I'm quite new here, but this forum helped me a lot before without registering :-) I'll go directly to my problem, I have been searching a bit about this issue but I was not successful. I need to write a program in C code to notificate me (to my email) when some action is done... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoNNo
7 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

program to send messages to parent using pipes and select system call

Write a program using select, which will create some number of child processes that continuously send text messages to the parent process using pipes. Each child has its own pipe that it uses to communicate with the parent. The parent uses select () to decide what pipes should be processed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ripssingh
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

printf before execl system call

main() { printf("before execl"); execl("/home/nirmala/os/fact","fact"); printf("this line will not be printed"); } for the above program ,the obj file of fact.c is getting loaded correctly.am getting the output as... factorial =6 but in ouput am not getting the string given in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pnirmala
2 Replies

10. Programming

call program

I would need to call the program 'ethtool' in my C++ program, does anyone know how to do that (if its even possible)? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Freaky123
1 Replies
EXECL(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  EXECL(3)

NAME
execl, execv, execle, execlp, execvp, exec, execve, exect, environ - execute a file SYNOPSIS
execl(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn; execv(name, argv) char *name, *argv[]; execle(name, arg0, arg1, ..., argn, 0, envp) char *name, *arg0, *arg1, ..., *argn, *envp[]; exect(name, argv, envp) char *name, *argv[], *envp[]; extern char **environ; DESCRIPTION
These routines provide various interfaces to the execve system call. Refer to execve(2) for a description of their properties; only brief descriptions are provided here. Exec in all its forms overlays the calling process with the named file, then transfers to the entry point of the core image of the file. There can be no return from a successful exec; the calling core image is lost. The name argument is a pointer to the name of the file to be executed. The pointers arg[0], arg[1] ... address null-terminated strings. Conventionally arg[0] is the name of the file. Two interfaces are available. execl is useful when a known file with known arguments is being called; the arguments to execl are the char- acter strings constituting the file and the arguments; the first argument is conventionally the same as the file name (or its last compo- nent). A 0 argument must end the argument list. The execv version is useful when the number of arguments is unknown in advance; the arguments to execv are the name of the file to be exe- cuted and a vector of strings containing the arguments. The last argument string must be followed by a 0 pointer. The exect version is used when the executed file is to be manipulated with ptrace(2). The program is forced to single step a single instruction giving the parent an opportunity to manipulate its state. On the VAX-11 this is done by setting the trace bit in the process status longword. Exect is not available on the PDP-11. When a C program is executed, it is called as follows: main(argc, argv, envp) int argc; char **argv, **envp; where argc is the argument count and argv is an array of character pointers to the arguments themselves. As indicated, argc is convention- ally at least one and the first member of the array points to a string containing the name of the file. Argv is directly usable in another execv because argv[argc] is 0. Envp is a pointer to an array of strings that constitute the environment of the process. Each string consists of a name, an "=", and a null-terminated value. The array of pointers is terminated by a null pointer. The shell sh(1) passes an environment entry for each global shell variable defined when the program is called. See environ(7) for some conventionally used names. The C run-time start-off routine places a copy of envp in the global cell environ, which is used by execv and execl to pass the environment to any subprograms executed by the current program. Execlp and execvp are called with the same arguments as execl and execv, but duplicate the shell's actions in searching for an executable file in a list of directories. The directory list is obtained from the environment. FILES
/bin/sh shell, invoked if command file found by execlp or execvp SEE ALSO
execve(2), fork(2), environ(7), csh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
If the file cannot be found, if it is not executable, if it does not start with a valid magic number (see a.out(5)), if maximum memory is exceeded, or if the arguments require too much space, a return constitutes the diagnostic; the return value is -1. Even for the super- user, at least one of the execute-permission bits must be set for a file to be executed. BUGS
If execvp is called to execute a file that turns out to be a shell command file, and if it is impossible to execute the shell, the values of argv[0] and argv[-1] will be modified before return. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution August 4, 1987 EXECL(3)