Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Difference: 'source file.sh' or './file.sh' Post 302898435 by emily on Tuesday 22nd of April 2014 07:24:38 AM
Old 04-22-2014
Thanking you very much, it explain a lot about what I was observing..:-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get file from source server and delete the ftp file

Hi there Everyone, I need some help/information/advise for the following questions: I'm writing the following script: #Beginning of the script ftp -n <source server> > ${log_dir}/test_get.log << END user <user_name>@<IP Address> <passwd> verbose bin !echo "'List Files Before Getting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Post Shell programming: Question about source a file and read data from the file

This is shell programming assignment. It needs to create a file called .std_dbrc contains STD_DBROOT=${HOME}/class/2031/Assgn3/STD_DB (which includes all my simple database files) and I am gonna use this .std_dbrc in my script file (read the data from the database files) like this: .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccwq
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use of format file to extract columns from a source file

hi experts lets say my format file is B B ========= column no,name,type,length 1,ee,N,12 3,hj,N.4 4,kl,N,5 source file ======== d e f g h i 5 8 9 7 6 5 1 3 4 5 6 6 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting columns using pattern file from source file

Hi experts,Please help me for the below requirement. i have a source file.(lets say contains 50 columns). I am extarcting five columns from the source file by using pattern file. for example input file:--------a,b,c,d,"a,g","v b",s,koutputfile=======a,"a,g","v b",s,kThanks in advance subhendu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync - update file on backup when file renamed on source

hi all, Please help me with rsync. I configured rsync to preserve timestamps using the -a option. When i renamed fileA to fileB on source machine I have to copies at the backup server. The aim is to keep the most recent file. fileA & fileB has same contents. When i renamed fileB to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
2 Replies

6. Programming

how to copy downloaded file into my source file folder (putty/unix)

I need to "Ensure that when you download libchat.a from the VLE you have copied it to the same folder on ius as your source files. You then refer to the library (and the libraries it needs) with: gcc -o outputfile sourcefile.c -L. -lchat -lsocket -lnsl" But I have no idea what this means! (I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fakuse
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File by Pattern with File Names in Source File... Awk?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Shell scripting and I need some help to split a source text file into multiple files. The source has a row with pattern where the file needs to be split, and the pattern row also contains the file name of the destination for that specific piece. Here is an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8er
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Match the amount fields in the source file vs trigger file

Hello, I have to write a script to compare the sum of the amount fields in a source file and the amount field in another file. details are: based on the name of the source file (say SALES as an example), a file already available in a path will be grabbed (say SALES_ParmFile) and this file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaylak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the source definition file with data file

Hi How to compare the source definition file in unix with the data file . Please can you share me example if some one has done it before (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj4fusion
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX utility to find difference in folder, file and contents of file against a base version

Hi, I am trying to find out whether there are any Unix utilities that compares folders, files and contents within the file and provides a comprehensive report. The comparison can be against base version of a folder and file with content. Can you please let me know of such a utility? Thanks,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sripathi_ks
6 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)