Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Populating a BASH array with a list of files including spaces-in-the-name Post 302898098 by ckmehta on Friday 18th of April 2014 03:48:52 PM
Old 04-18-2014
Populating a BASH array with a list of files including spaces-in-the-name

For the record, I already tried telling mgmt and the users to disallow spaces in filenames for this script, but it isn't happening for a number of ID10T-error-based reasons.

I have simple list of 3 files in a directory that are named like this:
Code:
bash-3.2$ ls -1 file*
file1
file1 part2
file1 part3

I tried this cmd to populate the array:
Code:
fileNameArray=( `ls -1 file*` )

However, I get the following results with 5 elements when I try this for-loop,
Code:
for x in ${fileNameArray[@]}
> do
> echo $x
> done
file1
file1
part2
file1
part3

So is there a way I can populate the array so the for-loop gives me 3 elements like this:
Code:
file1
file1 part2
file1 part3

Last edited by Don Cragun; 04-18-2014 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Change INDENT tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files including spaces

I am accessing two files. I am using read command to read from the files. For the first file, I need read the fields delimited by spaces, and for the other file, I need to read the whole line as a single field including the spaces. When I used read command for the second file, the spaces... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumariak
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

including spaces in awk output

I need to tweek my awk output: #cat filename ab cd ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs #cat filename | awk '{ for(i=3;i<NF+1;i++) printf $i}' ef:ghi:jklm:nopqrs I would like the ouput to include the original spaces from columns 3 on: ef:ghi:jk lm:nop qrs any suggestions? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a line including spaces

Hi All, I have a script that reads a file and echo it back to std out. Test.txt 1aaaaaaaaaaa . The script is ReadLine.sh #!/bin/ksh cat $1 | while read file do echo $file done I invoke the script as ReadLine.sh Test.txt The output that I get is (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aksarben
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

populating array using awk

Hi. I have a file with the following structer: DB DISK LOCATION SIZE ============================================ PROD DATA_01 /dev/dm-23 10 PROD DATA_02 /dev/dm-24 10 PROD DATA_03 /dev/dm-25 10 DEV DATA_04 /dev/dm-26 10 DEV DATA_05 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating array raised an error

Hi, The following test case populate an array named: array3. Since array1 and array2 are equal in length and values array3 will remain empty. #!/usr/bin/ksh test() { set -A array1 "A" set -A array2 "A" NUM_1=`echo ${#array1}` print "num elenemt in NUM_1 is ${NUM_1}" i=1 for ELE2 in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Populating an Array

Guys, I need to iterate populate an array while going over files in directory. Can someone please tell me syntax I tried this but it isn't working ==> for F in `ls -p "${directory1}" | grep -v "\/"` do cd "${directory2}" cmp "${directory2}"/"${F}" "${directory1}"/"${F}" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash replace spaces in list.txt with \

I'm trying to run a Linux virus scan on a list of files/folders I have ported to list.txt in a format: some file with spaces some other file but I need to feed my scanning script in the format: some\ file\ with\ spaces/ some\ other\ file/ so I would like to read in list.txt and output... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Pre-populating an array from system command output

So, here's a scenario that requires the same logic as what I'm working on: Suppose that you have a directory containing files named after users. For awk's purposes, the filename is a single field-- something parse-friendly, like john_smith. Now, let's say that I'd like to populate an array in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of files with spaces

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to list the file with spaces? Like I want to "ls" only the 2008 files. 2008 _overview102.jpg 2008 _overview103.jpg 2008 _overview106.jpg 2008 _overview677.jpg 2008 _overview680.jpg 2008 _overview110.jpg 2008 _overview682.jpg 2009 _overview4373.jpg 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fspalero
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AWK print last field including SPACES

I have simple test.sh script, see below: bill_code=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $1}'` Fullname=`echo $record | awk -F"|" '{print $3}'` email=`echo $record | awk -F\ '{print $4}'` The last field contains spaces: see csv below: A0222|Y|DELACRUZ|-cc dell@yahoo.com-cc support@yahoo.com ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: quay
9 Replies
FTP_NLIST(3)								 1							      FTP_NLIST(3)

ftp_nlist - Returns a list of files in the given directory

SYNOPSIS
array ftp_nlist (resource $ftp_stream, string $directory) DESCRIPTION
PARAMETERS
o $ftp_stream - The link identifier of the FTP connection. o $directory - The directory to be listed. This parameter can also include arguments, eg. ftp_nlist($conn_id, "-la /your/dir"); Note that this parameter isn't escaped so there may be some issues with filenames containing spaces and other characters. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of filenames from the specified directory on success or FALSE on error. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ftp_nlist(3) example <?php // set up basic connection $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); // login with username and password $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); // get contents of the current directory $contents = ftp_nlist($conn_id, "."); // output $contents var_dump($contents); ?> The above example will output something similar to: array(3) { [0]=> string(11) "public_html" [1]=> string(10) "public_ftp" [2]=> string(3) "www" SEE ALSO
ftp_rawlist(3). PHP Documentation Group FTP_NLIST(3)