Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to sort a text file if certain columns are blank? Post 302897835 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 16th of April 2014 09:50:32 AM
Old 04-16-2014
Well, I regret that is of little use. I asked you to replace the space and tab characters so we can see the file byte-by-byte. All the white-space and the <Blank> markers just confuse it.

It might make it messy, but perhaps you could run the following:-
Code:
tr " \t" "^~" < filename

It will convert the spaces to a carat ^ and the tabs to a tilde ~ so we can see what is what. Please do not alter the file in any other way to point out blank columns, but feel free to describe them or highlight them with a colour.

If we can read the input clearly, then we can work on helping you.

As an example:-
Code:
$ cat infile
Here is a line then a tab       tab bit

$ tr " \t" "^~" < infile
Here^is^a^line^then^a^tab~tab^bit

Regards,

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank columns from a file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below -- id parent name dba -----------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file using 2 columns

Hi, I am trying to sort a file first by the string column, then by the number column. file: xyz1 2 xyzX 4 xyz2 1 xyz13 3 xyz11 5 xyz13 10 xyz1 1 xyz10 1 xyz4 2 result should be xyz1 1 xyz1 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fargo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert alternative columns and sort text from first column to second?

Hi Everybody, I am just new to UNIX as well as to this forum. I have a text file with 10,000 coloumns and each coloumn contains values separated by space. I want to separate them into new coloumns..the file is something like this as ad af 1 A as ad af 1 D ... ... 1 and A are in one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns from a file if the name dont exist put blank

Hi, I am very new to Unix script. Suppose i have a file with column header: NAME1 NAME2 Address Tel And I always need to make a file with column header: ID NAME1 NAME2 EMail Address Tel For the columns that do not exist in the file, I would still like to make a column with blank. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightrider
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort second columns in file.

File will have two columns key column and second column which is pipe separated and that need to be sorted. Below is input file. 1, D|B|A|C 2, C|A|B 3, E|A|F|G|H|D|B|C 4, A|B|D|C|F Output should be 1, A|B|C|D 2, A|B|C 3, A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H 4, A|B|D|C|F (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish119d
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting blank columns in already present CSV file

Hi, i have a csv file which have headers and values of it like below : headers --> CI Ref SerialNumber LastScanDate values --> VMware-42,VMware-42,Tue, 20 May 2014 11:03:44 +0000 i want to have a above csv in below format : headers --> CI Name CI Description CI Ref... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find blank records in a file except for few columns

I have a file with the following format: X|High|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|Moderate|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|High|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Months X|Med|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Here there are ten columns but I need to print rows having blank records in any of the rows (except for 6th,8th and 9th... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting columns of text to rows, with blank lines

I've spent the past hour trying different things and googling for this solution and cannot find the answer. Found variations of this, but not this exact thing. I have the following text, which is the output from our mainframe. Each field is on a separate line, with a blank line between each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
7 Replies
LSNS(8)                                                        System Administration                                                       LSNS(8)

NAME
lsns - list namespaces SYNOPSIS
lsns [options] [namespace] DESCRIPTION
lsns lists information about all the currently accessible namespaces or about the given namespace. The namespace identifier is an inode number. The default output is subject to change. So whenever possible, you should avoid using default outputs in your scripts. Always explicitly define expected columns by using the --output option together with a columns list in environments where a stable output is required. Note that lsns reads information directly from the /proc filesystem and for non-root users it may return incomplete information. The cur- rent /proc filesystem may be unshared and affected by a PID namespace (see unshare --mount-proc for more details). lsns is not able to see persistent namespaces without processes where the namespace instance is held by a bind mount to /proc/pid/ns/type. OPTIONS
-J, --json Use JSON output format. -l, --list Use list output format. -n, --noheadings Do not print a header line. -o, --output list Specify which output columns to print. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. The default list of columns may be extended if list is specified in the format +list (e.g. lsns -o +PATH). -p, --task pid Display only the namespaces held by the process with this pid. -r, --raw Use the raw output format. -t, --type type Display the specified type of namespaces only. The supported types are mnt, net, ipc, user, pid, uts and cgroup. This option may be given more than once. -u, --notruncate Do not truncate text in columns. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> SEE ALSO
nsenter(1), unshare(1), clone(2), namespaces(7) AVAILABILITY
The lsns command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux December 2015 LSNS(8)