Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Phantom space usage in /
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Phantom space usage in / Post 302897779 by keefbaker on Wednesday 16th of April 2014 02:17:04 AM
Old 04-16-2014
Phantom space usage in /

Hi everyone,

Got an interesting one (well, interesting to me)

I have a box with a 5Gb / mount point. Checking for large files I found nothing and in fact when I did a full du I found that there was only 1.6Gb in use! And yet 100% used in /

So there's an unaccounted 3.4Gb somewhere!

The box isn't running oracle but I thought I'd check lsof |grep deleted anyway and found nothing in that mount point.

Did an inode check and only 14% of inodes are in use.

Any idea what i can do to track down phantom files or do you think I might just have to bounce the box and see if something has held some disk space open for some reason? I'd rather not bounce it as it's running a live service.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting space usage/available reports

I'm really, really new to writing scripts, but have been asked to generate a report that will show available space for a disk, space used by particular subdirectories on the disk and totals. I can get the information I need with du and df and output it to a text file but I'm stumped as to how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DesperateDBA
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding disk space usage

How would I go about finding the about of disk space occupied by a certain directory? For example, /u1/cvera => 530 MB Thanks =) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvera8
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to determine the disk space usage

how can we determine the disk space used by a certain directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Usage - Space Used

Hi all, FreeBSD7.1 @ sh. In a backup script I am trying to get the blocks used by the backup once completed. I am using the function: #!/bin/sh spaceused() { du -d 0 "${1}" | awk -F"+" '{ print $1 } } to return the blocks used of said directory and contents. Via. command line... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Festus Hagen
7 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Issue with disk space usage

Issue with disk space usage I have the following line in my "df -h" output: Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/ad4s1a 496M 495M -39M 109% / What is the issue with having 9% excess utilisation? How can I find out what this partition is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Space usage in MB or GB

hi, In HP unix, how can check the space usage in Mb bdf will give me the output in Bytes i guess. Also, how can i check the directory size in hp unix. Thx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bang_dba
4 Replies

9. AIX

FS space usage

Hello. I have a clean-up script that deletes > 5days old files on /archive/idocs directory. This script runs twice a week, Tuesday and Friday. This creates a log file that shows the current space usage before and after the files were deleted from the directory. On Feb 3, the script ran and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to display space usage

Hi all, I am looking for help with a script for displaying the space available from a df - h command for / (root). The problem is: If it is below 700 MB I have jobs that are failing... Is there a way I can do a calculation? If it above 700 MB it is good, if it is below 700 MB it will fail.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gartie
5 Replies
BOUNCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BOUNCE(8)

NAME
bounce - Postfix message bounce or defer daemon SYNOPSIS
bounce [generic Postfix daemon options] DESCRIPTION
The bounce daemon maintains per-message log files with non-delivery status information. Each log file is named after the queue file that it corresponds to, and is kept in a queue subdirectory named after the service name in the master.cf file (either bounce or defer). This pro- gram expects to be run from the master(8) process manager. The bounce daemon processes two types of service requests: o Append a recipient status record to a per-message log file. o Post a bounce message, with a copy of a log file and of the corresponding message. When the bounce is posted successfully, the log file is deleted. The software does a best effort to notify the sender that there was a problem. A notification is sent even when the log file or original message cannot be read. Optionally, a client can request that the per-message log file be deleted when the requested operation fails. This is used by clients that cannot retry transactions by themselves, and that depend on retry logic in their own client. STANDARDS
RFC 822 (ARPA Internet Text Messages) RFC 1894 (Delivery Status Notifications) DIAGNOSTICS
Problems and transactions are logged to syslogd(8). BUGS
The log files use an ad-hoc, unstructured format. This will have to change in order to easily support standard delivery status notifica- tions. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this program. See the Postfix main.cf file for syntax details and for default values. Use the postfix reload command after a configuration change. bounce_notice_recipient The recipient of single bounce postmaster notices. 2bounce_notice_recipient The recipient of double bounce postmaster notices. delay_notice_recipient The recipient of "delayed mail" postmaster notices. bounce_size_limit Limit the amount of original message context that is sent in a non-delivery notification. mail_name Use this mail system name in the introductory text at the start of a bounce message. notify_classes Notify the postmaster of bounced mail when this parameter includes the bounce class. For privacy reasons, the message body is not included. SEE ALSO
master(8) process manager qmgr(8) queue manager syslogd(8) system logging LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA BOUNCE(8)