Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to sort a text file if certain columns are blank? Post 302897631 by huiyee1 on Tuesday 15th of April 2014 07:42:35 AM
Old 04-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarloM
It looks like full rows have 2 tabs between fields 1 and 2, but rows with missing data have only 1 tab before what appears to be field 2.

Is that the case, or is it just a formatting artifact and the file is really (single) tab-delimited?
Dear CarloM,

For some rows, column 2 is blank. For some some rows, column 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13 are blank.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank columns from a file

Hi, I have a sample file as shown below -- id parent name dba -----------------------------------... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort file using 2 columns

Hi, I am trying to sort a file first by the string column, then by the number column. file: xyz1 2 xyzX 4 xyz2 1 xyz13 3 xyz11 5 xyz13 10 xyz1 1 xyz10 1 xyz4 2 result should be xyz1 1 xyz1 2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fargo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to insert alternative columns and sort text from first column to second?

Hi Everybody, I am just new to UNIX as well as to this forum. I have a text file with 10,000 coloumns and each coloumn contains values separated by space. I want to separate them into new coloumns..the file is something like this as ad af 1 A as ad af 1 D ... ... 1 and A are in one... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract columns from a file if the name dont exist put blank

Hi, I am very new to Unix script. Suppose i have a file with column header: NAME1 NAME2 Address Tel And I always need to make a file with column header: ID NAME1 NAME2 EMail Address Tel For the columns that do not exist in the file, I would still like to make a column with blank. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightrider
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort second columns in file.

File will have two columns key column and second column which is pipe separated and that need to be sorted. Below is input file. 1, D|B|A|C 2, C|A|B 3, E|A|F|G|H|D|B|C 4, A|B|D|C|F Output should be 1, A|B|C|D 2, A|B|C 3, A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H 4, A|B|D|C|F (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish119d
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting blank columns in already present CSV file

Hi, i have a csv file which have headers and values of it like below : headers --> CI Ref SerialNumber LastScanDate values --> VMware-42,VMware-42,Tue, 20 May 2014 11:03:44 +0000 i want to have a above csv in below format : headers --> CI Name CI Description CI Ref... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank columns from a tab delimited text file

Hello, I have some tab delimited files that may contain blank columns. I would like to delete the blank columns if they exist. There is no clear pattern for when a blank occurs. I was thinking of using sed to replace instances of double tab with blank, sed 's/\t\t//g' All of the examples... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find blank records in a file except for few columns

I have a file with the following format: X|High|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|Moderate|2|GIC|DM||XHM|||6 Months X|High|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Months X|Med|2|GCM|DM||XSF|||6 Here there are ten columns but I need to print rows having blank records in any of the rows (except for 6th,8th and 9th... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatwithsaurav
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting columns of text to rows, with blank lines

I've spent the past hour trying different things and googling for this solution and cannot find the answer. Found variations of this, but not this exact thing. I have the following text, which is the output from our mainframe. Each field is on a separate line, with a blank line between each... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
7 Replies
dp(8mh) 																   dp(8mh)

Name
       dp - parse dates RFC 822-style

Syntax
       /usr/lib/mh/dp [ -form file ] [ -format string ] [ -help ] [ -width columns ] dates

Description
       The command parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard.  It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by
       TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using It is useful for seeing how MH will interpret a date.

The program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official RFC 822 format.  Hence, it is  usually  best	to
       enclose each argument in double quotes (") for the shell.

Options
       -form file
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified file.  This must be
		 a format file; see

-format string
		 Overrides the default output format of The output is formatted according to the instructions in the specified string.	This  must
		 be a format string; see

The  argument to the -format option must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes Therefore, you should usually
		 place the argument to this option inside double quotes (").

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

-width columns
		 Specifies the width of the screen in columns.

The defaults for this command are as follows:

-width defaults to the width of the terminal

Examples
       This is the default format string used by
       %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(pretty{text})%>

When an error is detected, this prints error: and the date that is in error.  Otherwise, it outputs the proper RFC 822 format of the date.

Files
       User profile.

See Also
       ap(8mh)
       Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC 822)

dp(8mh)