Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Monitoring progress of a process in Linux server Post 302897460 by MarkSeger on Monday 14th of April 2014 09:02:35 AM
Old 04-14-2014
kunwar - to be clear, collectl CAN get a lot of data from /proc but as I told you earlier, not all of that information is available by process in /proc, at least not in /proc/pid where collectl gets its data.

Specifically I'm talking about your big 3: open files, system calls and process wait states. Collectl DOES report the number of system calls as reported in /proc/pid/io, but those are only for read/write I/O calls.

There is some process level info on waiting but don't think it's extensive. Furthermore collectl gets most data from stat and io, and a little from status. I've got eliminating reading status on my todo list since reading all this data for nearly 1000 processes can get pretty expensive and I don't want to read more data, I want to read less. My overarching philosophy for collectl is first and foremost 'do no harm' as far as performance goes.

-mark

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux Server Monitoring Script !!!

I am the Linux Admin in my organisation and need to write a shell script which will monitor the machine statistics every day and will send a consolidated report to me on my email id / will display the output into a file. Does anyone have such kind of script fulfilling this kind of purpose? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

process monitoring

hi all, i would like to write the shell script to monitoring the processing, but if i passing the parameter the number of process is incorrect how to slove it? many thx got the correct number of process as following script: ===========================================================... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric_wong_ch
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show progress bar for a running process

Hi, I have 2 shell scripts ,one for taking hot backup of oracle Database while other is for progress bar. But I don't have an idea hoe should I incorporate the shell script of progress bar in my hot backup code . Please help. My shell script for hot backup is as below: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error in script to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's proc

hi friends, I am trying to automate the daily monitoring process of UNIX server and it's processes. the script are below i executed the above script using ksh -x monitortest1.sh in root login . It shows error at some lines . 1. i logged in using root ,but it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhaprakasam
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring awk script progress

Is there a way to have awk output its regular output to a file and some other stuff to a log file to monitor progress? ie: print first field of a file and for every 100000 lines dealt with, print time in file.log (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FrancoisCN
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

HELP - Resource/Performance Monitoring Script - Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server

Hi all, ------------------------- Linux OS Version/Release: ------------------------- Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga) Linux <hostname> 2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jun 23 10:52:51 EDT 2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux I have a server that hosts 30+ Oracle... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

RHEL Linux process activity monitoring tool from windows 7 system

I have 2 RHEL 5.9 system where customized applications are running. These 2 servers are with in a network (LAN) with each other.One application in say Server 1 can talk to another application in server 2 and vice versa. The applications are exchanging data among each other. Recently I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitoring processes in parallel and process log file after process exits

I am writing a script to kick off a process to gather logs on multiple nodes in parallel using "&". These processes create individual log files. Which I would like to filter and convert in CSV format after they are complete. I am facing following issues: 1. Monitor all Processes parallelly.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies
kvm_nextproc(3KVM)                                          Kernel VM Library Functions                                         kvm_nextproc(3KVM)

NAME
kvm_nextproc, kvm_getproc, kvm_setproc - read system process structures SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lkvm [ library...] #include <kvm.h> #include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <sys/proc.h> struct proc *kvm_nextproc(kvm_t *kd); int kvm_setproc(kvm_t *kd); struct proc *kvm_getproc(kvm_t *kd, pid_t pid); DESCRIPTION
The kvm_nextproc() function reads sequentially all of the system process structures from the kernel identified by kd (see kvm_open(3KVM)). Each call to kvm_nextproc() returns a pointer to the static memory area that contains a copy of the next valid process table entry. There is no guarantee that the data will remain valid across calls to kvm_nextproc(), kvm_setproc(), or kvm_getproc(). If the process structure must be saved, it should be copied to non-volatile storage. For performance reasons, many implementations will cache a set of system process structures. Since the system state is liable to change between calls to kvm_nextproc(), and since the cache may contain obsolete information, there is no guarantee that every process structure returned refers to an active process, nor is it certain that all processes will be reported. The kvm_setproc() function rewinds the process list, enabling kvm_nextproc() to rescan from the beginning of the system process table. This function will always flush the process structure cache, allowing an application to re-scan the process table of a running system. The kvm_getproc() function locates the proc structure of the process specified by pid and returns a pointer to it. Although this function does not interact with the process table pointer manipulated by kvm_nextproc(), the restrictions regarding the validity of the data still apply. RETURN VALUES
On success, kvm_nextproc() returns a pointer to a copy of the next valid process table entry. On failure, it returns NULL. On success, kvm_getproc() returns a pointer to the proc structure of the process specified by pid. On failure, it returns NULL. The kvm_setproc() function returns 0 on success and -1 on failure. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
kvm_getu(3KVM), kvm_open(3KVM), kvm_kread(3KVM), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 2 May 2002 kvm_nextproc(3KVM)