Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Edit the file in shell script Post 302897365 by Abdul Navaz on Sunday 13th of April 2014 05:57:26 PM
Old 04-13-2014
Edit the file in shell script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:

I am trying to automate hadoop installation procedure using shell script. It involves go to perticular directory and add some more lines to the file /etc/sysctl.conf. How this can be done?

2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms:

Need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf while running script.

3. The attempts at a solution (include all code and scripts):
I have tried it using vi and i am not able to do this.

4. Complete Name of School (University), City (State), Country, Name of Professor, and Course Number (Link to Course):
University of Houston , Texas, USA, Dr. Deniz Gurkan,ELET6300

Note: Without school/professor/course information, you will be banned if you post here! You must complete the entire template (not just parts of it).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to edit txt file by shell script?

What I want to do is just delete some lines from a text file, I know it's easy using copy and redirect function, but what I have to do is edit this file (delete the lines) directly, as new lines may be added to the text file during this period. Can AIX do this ? # cat text 1:line1 2:line2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dupeng
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit the content of a file

Hi I need some help using shell script to edit a file. My original file has the following format: /txt/email/myemail.txt /txt/email/myemail2.txt /pdf/email/myemail.pdf /pdf/email/myemail2.pdf /doc/email/myemail.doc /doc/email/myemail2.doc I need to read each line. If the path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit a config file using shell script

I need to edit a config file using shell script. i.e., Search with the 'key' string and edit the 'value'. For eg: below is what I have in the config file "configfile.cfg". Key1=OldValue1 Key2=OldValue2 I want to search for "Key1" and change "OldValue1" to "NewValue1" Thanks for your... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshomallur
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit file and delete entry

Can anyone provide me a shell script to edit a xml file and delete one entry. To do manually i can edit(vi editor) the file and 'dd' will delete the file.But I wiluld to know if I can do with a script. Thanks in advance Tannu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to edit particular cell of csv file using shell script

I have one csv file and in that I want update particular cell. I know the row and coloumn number for that respective. Please help me... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepak_p86
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we edit crontab using a shell script

Hi, Can some one tell me if we can configure the jobs in crontab using a shell script. I know it can be done easily by using "crontab -e", but i just want to know whether we can add a job into the crontab using a shell script. If it can be done, plz suggest the procedure to do it. If it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudrarajumk
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to edit a file

Hello, I have a big file in wich I would like to rename inside this exactly the string '_ME' and not rename in case we have 'ABC_MELANGE'. Is there a way to do it by using a shell script? Any tip will be apreciated. The file is like described bellow, after using command more filename : ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Titas
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to edit a file

i have a file called number which contains data as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 0 1 2 3 4 needed a shell script to print the output as 1 7 7 1 4 and (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating using shell script : edit the file in a directory

I am trying to automate hadoop installation procedure using shell script. It involves go to perticular directory and add some more lines to the file /etc/sysctl.conf. How this can be done? Regards Navaz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abdul Navaz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open and edit a file using a shell script

Hello Folks, I have a file named as date.dat present at /tmp/abc location which has following data - 20161030,20161031,20161101 I need to remove this line and replace it with something like below - $param1,$param2,$param3 Param1, Param2 and param3 stores the date based on some calculation in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
1 Replies
ldapscripts(5)							File Formats Manual						    ldapscripts(5)

NAME
ldapscripts - Scripts to manage POSIX accounts in your LDAP directory. DESCRIPTION
The ldapscripts are a set of shell (sh) scripts designed to manage POSIX accounts in an OpenLDAP directory. They can be used as standalone tools or within Samba 3.x's smb.conf file. REQUIREMENTS
The main requirements are the OpenLDAP client tools (ldapadd, ldapsearch, ldapdelete, ...). Other commands are called in the scripts but should come with your OS (sed, grep, cut, ...). CONFIGURATION
The main configuration of the ldapscripts is usually the file /etc/ldapscripts/ldapscripts.conf (or /usr/local/etc/ldapscripts/ldap- scripts.conf, depending on your system). Modify it to fit your needs before using the scripts. Each script also uses a "runtime" file, usu- ally /usr/lib/ldapscripts/runtime (or /usr/local/lib/ldapscripts/runtime). You don't need to modify this file. TEMPLATES
Each script that adds information to the directory uses a template. Templates are directly embedded at the end of the scripts but it is also possible to use external template files (see GTEMPLATE, UTEMPLATE and MTEMPLATE variables in the configuration file). Each template consists of a preformatted LDIF file using special keywords that will be replaced on-the-fly. Sample files are provided for your conve- nience : ldapaddgroup.template.sample, ldapadduser.template.sample and ldapaddmachine.template.sample. It is strongly advised to use those files instead of modifying the embedded (default) templates in the scripts. Sample templates include every keyword you can use. One special additional keyword is the <ask> keyword that will trigger user input to get the attribute value interactively. USING AS STANDALONE TOOLS
Each script can be used as a standard command-line tool. Check their man pages to get help. USING WITH SAMBA 3.x Each Samba 3.x smb.conf "xxx script" option has a matching script. Modify you smb.conf file this way to call them : # [...] add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapaddmachine '%u' sambamachines add user script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapadduser '%u' sambausers add group script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapaddgroup '%g' add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapaddusertogroup '%u' '%g' delete user script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapdeleteuser '%u' delete group script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapdeletegroup '%g' delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapdeleteuserfromgroup '%u' '%g' set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/ldapsetprimarygroup '%u' '%g' rename user script = /usr/local/sbin/ldaprenameuser '%uold' '%unew' # [...] SEE ALSO
ldapdeletemachine(1), ldapmodifymachine(1), ldaprenamemachine(1), ldapadduser(1), ldapdeleteuserfromgroup(1), ldapfinger(1), ldapid(1), ldapmodifyuser(1), lsldap(1), ldapaddusertogroup(1), ldaprenameuser(1), ldapinit(1), ldapsetpasswd(1), ldapaddgroup(1), ldapdeletegroup(1), ldapsetprimarygroup(1), ldapmodifygroup(1), ldaprenamegroup(1), ldapaddmachine(1), ldapdeleteuser(1). AVAILABILITY
The ldapscripts are provided under the GNU General Public License v2 (see COPYING for more details). The latest version of the ldapscripts is available on : http://contribs.martymac.org BUGS
Sometimes, that kind of message may appear in the log file : Additional information: value does not conform to assertion syntax . Setting slapd's debug level to 32 shows additional details : get_ava: illegal value for attributeType uidNumber . This is *not* a bug : the ldap- scripts tend to use the power of LDAP filters to easily find users (or groups) using either a uidNumber (numerical value) or a uid (string value). The following filter (used by ldapfinger(1)) will generate the above message if $_USER is a login : "(|(&(objectClass=posixAc- count)(|(uid=$_USER)(uidNumber=$_USER))) (&(objectClass=posixGroup)(|(cn=$_USER)(gidNumber=$_USER))))" because filter part "(uidNum- ber=$_USER)" requires an integer but gets a string. You can mostly ignore those warnings. January 1, 2006 ldapscripts(5)