Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk creating folders
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk creating folders Post 302897179 by Akshay Hegde on Friday 11th of April 2014 01:03:54 PM
Old 04-11-2014
You can do something like this

Creates 2 folders
Code:
$ awk 'function folder(arg){command = "mkdir \""arg"\"" ; system(command)}BEGIN{folder("First");folder("Second");}'

Code:
$ awk 'function folder(arg){command = "mkdir \""arg"\"" ; system(command)}{folder($1);folder($2);folder($3)}' zodziai.txt

This User Gave Thanks to Akshay Hegde For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP:error while creating folders on remote server

Hi, I am trying to create some folders on remote server with SFTP connection. if the folder is exist then it is not executing the next commands. i.e. if temp/folder is exist then it it not executing mkdir $folder1 mkdir $folder2 commands. here is my code. sftp -b /dev/fd/0 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vgs
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with printing to other folders w/ awk

Again, I am in need of some advice. Earlier I was shown how to have awk create folders for me. That was so cool and helpful, but now I am exploring the posibilities of combining operations with bash scripts. Now, I am creating the directories with the bash script, and then I want awk to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccox85
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating links to multiple folders

Hi All, First of all, I'm a unix newbie so don't be to hard on me :) I'm not even sure if the thing that I want is even possible but here goes nothing: On my linux based NAS I have the following structure: videos |---movie 1 |---movie 2 |---movie 3 | USBDISK |---videos |--- movie... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvb
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cp: preserving file/folder attributes and auto creating folders

Hi, Is there a way to use cp in such a way that when a file is copied to a destination, the required destination folders are automatically created with the proper permissions, and the resulting copied file has the same attributes as the original. For example if I copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating folders based on number of files

I have hundreds of files numbered in consecutive number in one single folder What I would like to do is to make as many subfolders as needed (dependeing on the number of individual files) and name them Folder01, Folder02, etc. Then, move file01 to folder01, file02 to folder02 so on and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script for testing existence of files/folders and creating if neither exist

Hi, I am new to shell-scripting, and doing a lot of reading. I am having some trouble getting started with a simple testing of scripting. I have been experimenting with if, loops, for, test, etc., but still unsure. I seem to have the hang of it when it comes to creating a single file or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2
6 Replies

7. IP Networking

Accessingand creating folders in Machines using IP

Hi all, I am working on a project where I need to access four random machines from a given subnet mask and sending files across the machines similar to peer to peer file systems. Now my question is. Given a subnet mask or If I obtain a random IP address of a machine from Subnet mask, how can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pavan Kumar
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating matrix from folders and subfolders

Hello, Greetings! please help me produce the following solution. I need to produce one big matrix file from several files in different levels. If it helps, the index folder provides information on chromosome index and the data folder provides information on values for chromosomes. there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with creating script to delete log files/folders

Hi I am new to Linux / scripting language. I need to improve our Linux servers at work and looking to claim some space my deleting log files/ folders on a 5 day basis. Can someone help me with creating a script to do so. Any sample script will be helpful.:b: Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinksl
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a sub-folder in multiple folders

Hi I've been trying to find an answer to this question and was hoping someone would be able to help me. I want to add a sub-folder to to an existing structure: for example /toys/toy_1/new /toys/toy_2/new /toys/toy_3/new There are humdreds of theses folders - what i want to do is add a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LouSan
2 Replies
mhpath(1mh)															       mhpath(1mh)

Name
       mhpath - print full pathnames of MH messages and folders

Syntax
       mhpath [ +foldername ] [ msgs ] [ -help ]

Description
       Use the command to display the full pathname of the specified folder.  If you do not specify a folder, displays the pathname of the current
       folder.

If you specify a message with its message number, displays the pathname of the specified message.  You can also specify a  number  of  mes-
       sages,  or  a range of messages.  If the top of the range that you specify is greater than the last message in the folder, displays as much
       of the specified range as possible.

Additionally can take a keyword or a sequence name.  The following keywords are acceptable:

first	 The first message in the folder.

last	 The last message in the folder.

new	 The message after the last message in the folder.  You cannot use new as part of a message range.

cur	 The current message in the folder.

prev	 The message before the current message.

next	 The message after the current message.

all	 All of the messages in the folder.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

Examples
       In the following example, displays message 3 in the folder
       % mhpath +inbox 3
       /r/phyl/Mail/inbox

The following example displays the pathname of messages 2 to 5 in the current folder:
       % mhpath 2-5
       /r/phyl/Mail/inbox/2
       /r/phyl/Mail/inbox/3
       /r/phyl/Mail/inbox/4
       /r/phyl/Mail/inbox/5

Profile Components
       Path:   To determine your Mail directory

Files
       The user profile.

See Also
       folder(1mh)

mhpath(1mh)