Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please help, need to create script to remove lines by date in file Post 302896704 by m3pwr on Wednesday 9th of April 2014 07:38:46 AM
Old 04-09-2014
No this is something I need to manage a file for my personal venture..

---------- Post updated 04-09-14 at 07:38 AM ---------- Previous update was 04-08-14 at 10:56 PM ----------

Does anyone have any suggestions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to create a date script

So I need to create a shell script that can take as input a numeric day, month and year and output the day of the week for the input date. So let's say, I input "programname 19 10 2006" it should output Thursday... I tried messing around with the grep and awk commands, but I can't get it to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mredwardlee
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/Script to remove duplicate lines from the file?

Hello, Can anyone tell Command/Script to remove duplicate lines from the file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rahulpict
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to remove duplicates lines in a file

Hi, I am writing a shell script that needs to remove duplicate lines within a file by category. example: section a a c b a section b a b a c I need to remove the duplicates within th category with out removing the duplicates from the 2 different sections (one of the a's in section... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RichElks
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove all lines from a file before a line starting with pattern

hi,, i hav a file with many lines.i need to remove all lines before a line begginning with a specific pattern from the file because these lines are not required. Can u help me out with either a perl script or shell script example:- if file initially contains lines: a b c d .1.2 d e f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to remove all lines which exceeds a particular date & time

I have a text file which got 6th coloumn as date and 7th coloumn as time. The text contains data for last one week. I need to remove all the data whose date & time is after 03/08/2011 06:00:00 and save it on another file TEXT FILE ======== 6 dbclstr-b IXT_Web Memphis_Prod_SQL_Diff... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajiwww
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sum from successive lines following date header to create data for graphing connections

Hi, I have a log file created from a load balancer showing connections to each member of a two member pool with the following format (where first field is source IP, second field is load balanced IP address and third field is destination member. I need to plot a graph by date/time and number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shog63
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I take out(remove) the date part in the file name in a script?

Hi All, I need to create links between two directories. have multiple files in a specified location. Source Location ex: /opt/xdm/input/ Target Location ex: /opt/xdm input file names: 1. abc_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd 2. abcd_app.aus.apac.yyyymmdd.dtd I need to build a code that reads... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kthri_82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to remove lines within file

AIX. we have multiple files eg B1234567 B1235468 etc. (numbers change daily, only constant is the B prefix) trying to use using sed '/numberrange and length varies /d ' to remove a specific number range out of one of these files , we just don't know which one its in, as it could be in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee2015
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Date in the file with Create date and timestamp

Hello, I have files that with a naming convention as shown below. Some of the files have dates in the file name and some of them don't have dates in the file name. imap-hp-import-20150917.txt imap-dell-gec-import-20150901.txt imap-cvs-import-20150915.txt imap-gec-import.txt... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove Comment Lines From Script/Input File

Hello, I have a SAS code that predominantly has comments line and the real code like below and i want to remove ONLY THE COMMENTS from the code in the single line or spanned across multiple lines. /******************************************************************** *** This Is a Comment... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arooonatr
4 Replies
SCRIPT(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script - make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [options] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything displayed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves the dialogue in this file. If no filename is given, the dialogue is saved in the file type- script. OPTIONS
-a, --append Append the output to file or to typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can supervise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet (do not write start and done messages to standard output). -t[file], --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. NOTES
The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D for the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. It is not recommended to run script in non-interactive shells. The inner shell of script is always interactive, and this could lead to unexpected results. If you use script in the shell initialization file, you have to avoid entering an infinite loop. You can use for example the .profile file, which is read by login shells only: if test -t 0 ; then script exit fi You should also avoid use of script in command pipes, as script can read more input than you would expect. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1) HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. script is primarily designed for interactive terminal sessions. When stdin is not a terminal (for example: echo foo | script), then the session can hang, because the interactive shell within the script session misses EOF and script has no clue when to close the session. See the NOTES section for more information. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux June 2014 SCRIPT(1)