Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Splitting strings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Splitting strings Post 302896560 by RudiC on Tuesday 8th of April 2014 06:53:58 AM
Old 04-08-2014
Try also
Code:
 awk '{for (i=0;i<int(length($2)/5);i++) print $1, substr($2,i*5+1,5)} ' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

splitting strings

Hi you, I have the following problem: I have a string like the followings: '166Mhz' or '128MB' or '300sec' or ... What I want to do is, I want to split the strings in a part with the numbers and a part with letters. Since the strings are not allway three digits and than text i couldn't do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bensky
3 Replies

2. Programming

Splitting strings from file

Hi All I need help writing a Java program to split strings reading from a FILE and writing output into a FILE. e.g., My input is : International NNP Rockwell NNP Corp. NNP 's POS Tulsa NNP unit NN said VBDExpected output is: International I In Int Inte l al... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting Concatenated Words With Largest Strings First

hello, I had posted earlier help for a script for splitting concatenated words . The script was supposed to read words from a master file and split concatenated words in the slave/input file. Thanks to the help I got, the following script which works very well was posted. It detects residues by... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting tab delimited strings

hi i have a requirement to input a string to a shell script and to split the string to multiple fields, the string is copied from a row of three columns (name,age,address) in an excel sheet. the three columns (from excel) are seperated with a tab when pasted in the command prompt, but when the ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun19
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Splitting strings

Hi All, There is a file with a data. If the line is longer than 'n', we splitting the line on the parts and print them. Each of the parts is less than or equal 'n'. For example: n = 2; "ABCDEFGHIJK" -> length 11 Results: "AB" "CD" EF" GH" "IJ" "K" Code, but there are some errors.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: booyaka
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting strings based on delimiter

i have a snippet from server log delimited by forward slash. /a/b/c/d/filename i need to cut until last delimiter. So desired output should look like: /a/b/c/d can you please help? Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_1
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)