Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help w/ Reading Matrix & Storing in dynamic array Post 302896322 by innvert on Sunday 6th of April 2014 03:37:58 PM
Old 04-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
  1. Are there headers in these files that specify the number of rows and columns of data present in the file, or are you supposed to determine the dimensions by reading the entire file?
  2. Are there headings on the 1st few rows of these files that describe what is in the underlying columns?
  3. What type of data is in the tables (integers, floating point values, single characters, strings of characters, ...)? What range of values need to be processed? What precision? If integers, signed or unsigned?
  4. What is the format of the data in the files?
  5. What separates elements in rows in the files (comma, single space, one or more spaces, tabs, ...)?
  6. Show us a few lines from the start of some sample text files that you want your program to process.
1. No headers will be present, dimensions must be determined by reading the entire file.
2. No headings to label columns, the only text in the file will be the matrix itself.
3. They will be ints, range should be something like -100 to 100.
4. I'm not sure what you mean by this?
5. Single spaces will be the separator.
6. Something as simple as:
Code:
10 20 30 40
50 60 70 80
90 100 10 20

should work just fine.
This User Gave Thanks to innvert For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing variables in array.Please help

Hi All, I need some help with arrays. I need to take input from the user for hostname, username and password until he enters .(dot) or any other character and store the values in the variable array. I would further connect to the hostname using username and passwd and copy files from server to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies

3. Programming

Creating an array to hold posix thread ids: Only dynamic array works

I am facing a strange error while creating posix threads: Given below are two snippets of code, the first one works whereas the second one gives a garbage value in the output. Snippet 1 This works: -------------- int *threadids; threadids = (int *) malloc (num_threads * sizeof(int)); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmehta
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing records in awk array

hi i have a file as follows: 1 2 3 4 5 6 i want to store all these numbers in an array using awk.. so far i have: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {a=$1}} END {for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {printf("%1.11f",a)}}' 1.csv > test however, i am getting all values as zero in the "test" file..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Reading out rows of a file into a dynamic array and check first literal

Hello, i have a file "Movie.ini" looking e.g. like follows * MOVIE A bla bla MOVIE B blubb blubb MOVIE C I'd like to read the file "Movie.ini" with cat and grep and check whether it includes the string MOVIE only with a '*' at the beginnig. By doing "cat Movie.ini| grep MOVIE... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading from a file and storing it in a variable

Hi folks, I'm using bash and would like to do the following. I would like to read some values from the file and store it in the variable and use it. My file is 1.txt and its contents are VERSION=5.6 UPDATE=4 I would like to read "5.6" and "4" and store it in a variable in shell... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptfriend
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting columns from a matrix and storing each column in a separate file

Hi All, I have a huge matrix file consisting some some millions rows and 6000 columns. The contents are just floating point numbers in the matrix. I want to extract each column (i.e. 6000 of them) and store each column in a separate file. For example, 1.dat will consist of elements from column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

8. Programming

Reading Scientific notation from file and storing in array

Hi, I am trying to read a set of numbers that are in scientific notation into a file so I can do some math on them, but when I display the array contents the numbers aren't the same as the numbers in the file. Could someone explain why? Thanks. int main() { double fArray; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Filter500
3 Replies

9. Programming

C; storing strings in an array

I am trying to get userinput from stdin and store the lines in an array. If i do this: using a char **list to store strings allocate memory to it #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(int argc, char *argv) { char *prog = argv; char **linelist; int... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tornow
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to output the array result into a matrix

I have a file like this: ASSPASVFETQY,hTRBV12-4,hTRBJ2-5,2 ASSPASTGGDYGYT,hTRBV18,hTRBJ1-2,2 ASSPASGDGYT,hTRBV5-1,hTRBJ1-2,2 ASSPASFPEDTQY,hTRBV27,hTRBJ2-3,2 ASSPARVNYGYT,hTRBV5-1,hTRBJ1-2,2 ASSPARTSGGLNEQF,hTRBV6-4,hTRBJ2-1,2 ASSPARQSYNEQF,hTRBV11-1,hTRBJ2-1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
3 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-[csCS][x] [kKgGw][N] tTeEnyjhHmz] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
The rs utility reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array accord- ing to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The following options are available: -cx Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -sx Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -Cx Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be `^I'. -Sx Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -kN Ignore the first N lines of input. -KN Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -gN The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -GN The gutter width has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Normally, the output is padded with blanks. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -wN The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -z Adapt column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
The rs utility can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell(1), du(1), file(1), look(1), nm(1), who(1), and wc(1)) into a convenient ``window'' format, as in % who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use % rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with % jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T > tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try % rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) HISTORY
The rs utility first appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. Multibyte characters are not recognized. Lines longer than LINE_MAX (2048) bytes are not processed and result in immediate termination of rs. BSD
February 25, 2011 BSD