Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat X11 forwarding through a tunnel Post 302895670 by Corona688 on Tuesday 1st of April 2014 05:45:38 PM
Old 04-01-2014
This is a bit different than standard X11 forwarding, you'd need to figure out exactly what port numbers you need and put them under 'tunnels'. I think X11 is 6000 but that can vary.

Under 'source port' you'd put 6000, I think. And under destination you'd put remotehost:6000. This means, when you logged into bastion, and connected to localhost:6000 on your laptop, the SSH tunnel would connect to remotehost:6000. So localhost:6000 would effectively be connecting to remotehost:6000.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

ssh forwarding to X11

Hi, I have issues with running graphical interfaces on my computer being remotely logged into a network via the -X option of ssh. My .cshrc shows DISPLAY=hostname:0 and I think there should be a different number instead of the 0. I changed the ssh_config file already to 'X11 forwarding yes', which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginese
0 Replies

2. Debian

X11 Forwarding Problem

I have 2 Debian boxes. In my ssh.com client and my putty client, I have X11 fowarding turned on for both boxes. When I connect one, I can xterm with no problem back to my pc. On the other, I keep getting: xterm Xt error: Can't open display: xterm: DISPLAY is not set On both... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X11 forwarding not working

Hi, I am using Putty, enabled SSH X11 forwarding and entered the X11 display location as "localhost:0". However I encountered the following error: ------------------------------------ # xclock & 2941 # X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown). + Exit 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: panggou
4 Replies

4. HP-UX

'X11 forwarding' SSHD assigns already used port

Hi, We've been facing a strange issue. Clients use X11 forwarding via SSH on HP server and sometimes the same DISPLAY is assigned to two (maybe more) sessions. As a result, some users can't open their applications, and some have their windows redirected to somebody else. It looks as if sshd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: piooooter
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SSH Tunnel Forwarding with no shell

Hi Experts, I am trying to have the SSH tunnel Remote forwarding command in a shell script. I should be able to do 2 tasks, but unable to get that going. 1) I have 3 servers Server 1, Server 2, Server 3. I have my Database running on Server 1 and my script running on Server 2 which should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scriptingglitch
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X11 forwarding does not work after networking change

Hi all I'm having an issue with X11 Forwarding I have a VM set up on my computer which I usually "ssh -X" to over a home network (192.168.1.*). Client 192.168.1.100 Server 192.168.1.103 This worked perfectly fine for X11 forwarding. However I am not at home now (and have no access to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahambo2005
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with X11 Forwarding

Hello. I installed a Debian box, and its installed remotely. I need to boot up iceweasel from there to do a quick test. I log on using: ssh root@<IP> -X I have modified the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, and added the X11Forwarding yes flag And yet I still get: Error: cannot open... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: dynelight
10 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is it possible that X11 can be forwarded through a SSH tunnel

I communicate with the server via a ssh tunnel, configured via Putty. Recently, I'm trying to forward the X11 through it, but it doesn't work. Is there any one work this way? Searched with google, but didn't find anything. Thx in adv. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sleepy_11
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

X11 forwarding issues

Unable to get X11 activated on my login even after Unix admin has enabled it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomsayer1977
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

X11 forwarding doesn't work

hi, I'm trying to run a bash script that starts GUI. Though it says application started when I run this bash script doesn't show up any GUI. Here is what I've tried so far and please let me know if I'm missing something with the X11 set up here. cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fop4658
8 Replies
CONNECT-TUNNEL(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					CONNECT-TUNNEL(1p)

NAME
connect-tunnel - Create CONNECT tunnels through HTTP proxies SYNOPSIS
connect-tunnel [ -Lv ] [ -A user:pass ] [ -P proxy:port ] [ -C controlport ] [ -T port:host:hostport ] DESCRIPTION
connect-tunnel sets up tunneled connections to external hosts by redirecting connections to local ports towards thoses hosts/ports through a HTTP proxy. connect-tunnel makes use of the HTTP "CONNECT" method to ask the proxy to create a tunnel to an outside server. Be aware that some proxies are set up to deny outside tunnels (either to ports other than 443 or outside a specified set of outside hosts). OPTIONS
The program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes. -A, --proxy-authentication user:password Proxy authentication information. Please note that all the authentication schemes supported by "LWP::UserAgent" are supported (we use an "LWP::UserAgent" internally to contact the proxy). -C, --control-port controlport The port to which one can connect to issue control commands to connect-tunnel. See "CONTROL CONNECTIONS" for more details about the available commands. -L, --local-only Create the tunnels so that they will only listen on "localhost". Thus, only connections originating from the machine that runs connect-tunnel will be accepted. That was the default behaviour in connect-tunnel version 0.02. -P, --proxy proxy[:port] The proxy is required to connect the tunnels. If no port is given, 8080 is used by default. See also "ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES". -T, --tunnel port:host:hostport Specifies that the given port on the local host is to be forwarded to the given host and hostport on the remote side. This works by allocating a socket to listen to port on the local side, and whenever a connection is made to this port, connect-tunnel forwards it to the proxy (with the credentials, if required), which in turn forwards it to the final destination. Note that this does not imply the use of any cryptographic system (SSL or any other). This is a simple TCP redirection. The security if any, is the one provided by the protocol used to connect to the destination through connect-tunnel. On Unix systems, only root can forward privileged ports. Note that you can setup tunnels to multiple destinations, by using the --tunnel option several times. -U, --user-agent string Specify User-Agent value to send in HTTP requests. The default is to send "connect-tunnel/version". -v, --verbose Verbose output. This option can be used several times for more verbose output. EXAMPLES
To connect to a SSH server running on "ssh.example.com", on port 443, through the proxy "proxy.company.com", running on port 8080, use the following command: connect-tunnel -P proxy.company.com:8080 -T 22:ssh.example.com:443 And now point your favorite ssh client to the machine running connect-tunnel. You can also emulate a "standard" user-agent: connect-tunnel -U "Mozilla/4.03 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.89 i586)" -P proxy.company.com:8080 -T 22:ssh.example.com:443 connect-tunnel can easily use your proxy credentials to connect outside: connect-tunnel -U "Mozilla/4.03 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.89 i586)" -P proxy.company.com:8080 -T 22:ssh.example.com:443 -A book:s3kr3t But if you don't want anybody else to connect to your tunnels and through the proxy with your credentials, use the --local-only option: connect-tunnel -U "Mozilla/4.03 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.89 i586)" -P proxy.company.com:8080 -T 22:ssh.example.com:443 -A book:s3kr3t -L If you have several destinations, there is no need to run several instances of connect-tunnel: connect-tunnel -U "Mozilla/4.03 [en] (X11; I; Linux 2.1.89 i586)" -P proxy.company.com:8080 -A book:s3kr3t -L -T 22:ssh.example.com:443 -T 222:ssh2.example.com:443 But naturally, you will need to correctly set up the ports in your clients. Mmm, such a long command line would perfectly fit in an alias or a .BAT file. ";-)" ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The environment variable "HTTP_PROXY" can be used to provide a proxy definition. The environment variable is overriden by the --proxy option, if passed to connect-tunnel. AUTHOR
Philippe "BooK" Bruhat, "<book@cpan.org>". I seem to have re-invented a well-known wheel with that script, but at least, I hope I have added a few interesting options to it. SCRIPT HISTORY
The first version of the script was a quick hack that let me go through a corporate proxy. Version 0.02 and version 0.03 were released on CPAN in 2003. Version 0.04 sits half-finished in a CVS repository at home: I couldn't decypher the spaghetti of my data structures any more. ":-(" Version 0.05 (and higher) are based on "Net::Proxy", and included with the "Net::Proxy" distribution. Even though it's not rocket science, connect-tunnel has been cited in at least one academic works: o HTTP Tunnels Through Proxies, Daniel Alman Available at SANS InfoSec Reading Room: Covert Channels <http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/covert/> Direct link: <http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/covert/1202.php> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003-2007, Philippe Bruhat. All rights reserved. LICENSE
This module is free software; you can redistribute it or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2009-10-18 CONNECT-TUNNEL(1p)