Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk: Iterate over all records, stop when value < threshold Post 302895652 by Corona688 on Tuesday 1st of April 2014 03:19:16 PM
Old 04-01-2014
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Bumping up posts or double posting is not permitted in these forums.

Please read the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

You may receive an infraction for this. If so, don't worry, just try to follow the rules more carefully. The infraction will expire in the near future

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

I don't understand what those 'exits' are for.

I also don't understand why you have multiple END sections. END always does the same thing.

I also don't understand why you're suddenly wedging in FNR everywhere, including the END statements. 99% of the data you store in your arrays never gets used for anything!

Every time I post in this thread I get more and more confused to your requirements. If you could post a good example of the output you want and how it's calculated from the input you gave it'd be better than a million posts saying "program doesn't work how do I fix this". I can't tell what you want from a program that doesn't do what you want...

Last edited by Corona688; 04-01-2014 at 04:28 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk | stop after specified number of results

I am searching some rather large text files using grep and or awk. What I would like to know is if there is a way (either with grep, awk, or realy any other unix tool) to stop the search when a predifined number of results are returned. I would like to do this for speed purpuses. When i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evan108
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop awk adding a new line

In a loop, I want to append some text to a file without generating a new line (and then force a new line before re-iterating the loop). In the code below the first 'echo' command is OK as it uses '--n' for no new line. For the 'awk' line I *thought* I could solve it by using printf rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TobyR
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Number of records

Hi, Is it possible to find the total number of records processed by awk at begining. NR gives the value at the end. Is there any variable available to find the value at the begining? Thanks ---------- Suman (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AWK aggregate records

Hy all, I have a problem...can some one help me... I have a file of records sort: 30|239|ORD|447702936929 |blackberry.net |20080728|141304|00000900|2|0000000000000536|28181|0000000006|0000000001|10|1 30|239|ORD|447702936929 |blackberry.net ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaconga
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Iterate a min/max awk script over time-series temperature data

I'm trying to iterate a UNIX awk script that returns min/max temperature data for each day from a monthly weather data file (01_weath.dat). The temperature data is held in $5. The temps are reported each minute so each day contains 1440 temperature enteries. The below code has gotten me as far as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgourley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting records with AWK

I've been working with an awk script and I'm wondeing id it's possible to count records in a file which DO NOT contain, in this instance fields 12 and 13. With the one script I am wanting to display the count for the records WITH fields 12 and 13 and a seperate count of records WITHOUT fields... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting variable value in AWK /start/,/stop/

Hi all u brilient people on the forum... I am trying to call the variable value in awk command for search pattern /start/,/stop/ but i am nt able to do this .... wat i did is ..i have created two variable YESTERDAY and TODAY and passed the y'day n 2'days dates in it...like this ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: whomi
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterate through list of numbers and print specific lines with awk

Could someone please point me in the right direction with the following? I have a program that generates logs that contains sections like this: IMAGE INPUT 81 0 0.995 2449470 0 1726 368 1 0.0635 0.3291 82 0 1.001 2448013 0 1666 365 1 0.0649 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Skip first and last n records with awk

Hi, I have an awk code that reads an input file, checks the 4th column and tells if its fine. #!/bin/ksh { if ($4 == 0) print "fine" else print "some problem" }' FILENAME My problem is that, I dont want to check the first 3 and last 3 lines. This can be hard coded by using BEGIN and END... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotam
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to assign binary values to data above/below a certain threshold?

Hello, I have files containing a large amount of values in columns, and I want to simplify the data by making the values binary, i.e. assigning 1/0 for each value above or below a certain threshold. I am curious to know if it's possible to use awk to do this (or another way in bash). I've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
2 Replies
TEXT2PS(L)																TEXT2PS(L)

NAME
text2ps - convert text files to PostScript SYNOPSIS
text2ps [ options ] [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Text2ps reads the input files (standard input if none are specified) and produces PostScript code which, when fed to a PostScript printer, will print the files. With text2ps it is possible to select any font, point size and number of columns. Options and files can be inter- mixed on the command line. Options are effective for all following files until they are overridden. Options Here follows a list of options that text2ps recognizes. Most numeric arguments are significant to one decimal place. Options are evalu- ated from left to right. Later options override earlier ones. -# n Print n copies of each page. (Default 1.) -c n Print in n columns. (Default 1.) -f font Print using font font. (Default Courier.) -p n Print with point size n. (Default 9.) -v n Use a vertical spacing of n points. If the vertical spacing is set to 0, the spacing will be 1.2 times the point size. (Default 0.) -l n Print n lines per column. When the line count is 0, print as many lines as will fit. (Default 0.) -r [p|l] Set the orientation to either portrait mode (p) or landscape mode (l). (Default p.) -b [+|-] Set page break mode. An argument + will force new files to be always printed on a new page (this is the default). After - new files will be put on the same page if there are still empty columns and the number of columns, the orientation or the number of copies didn't change. New files always start new columns. (Default -.) -mt n The top margin is n points. (Default 63.) -mb n The bottom margin is n points. (Default 63.) -ml n The left margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mr n The right margin is n points. (Default 59.) -mg n The inter-column gap is n points. (Default 25.) -t [+|-] If the argument is + the name of the file being printed will be printed on each page. If the argument is - the file name will not be printed. -t + implies -b +. -T text Print text as title on each page. This implies -t - and -b +. This option can be switched off by specifying -t - or -t +. (Default no title.) -F font Set the title font to font. (Default Helvetica.) -P n Set the title point size to n. (Default 12.) -B n Draw borders around each page. The number n specifies how to draw borders. N can have any of the following values or-ed in: 1 Draw a line along the left of the page. 2 Draw a line along the bottom of the page. 4 Draw a line along the right of the page. 8 Draw a line along the top of the page. 16 Draw a line between columns. This line does not connect to the lines along the top or bottom. 32 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the top. 64 Draw a connecting line between the line between columns and the line along the bottom. When n is 0, no border lines are drawn. (Default no bordering lines.) -w n Tab stops are set every n spaces. Set the width of the TAB character. (Default 8.) -1 Sets up options to print in one column in portrait mode with the Courier font, so that you get 66 lines on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 1 -f Courier -p 9 -v 0 -r p -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59. This is the default. -2 Sets up options to print in two columns in landscape mode with the Courier font, so that you get two 66-line columns on a page. Equivalent to specifying the options -c 2 -f Courier -p 6 -v 0 -r l -l 0 -mt 63 -mb 63 -ml 59 -mr 59 -mg 25. Together with the -1 option, this is probably the most useful option. The name - means standard input. BUGS
Too many options. There is no way to specify where the title will be placed. If the font being used is not a constant width font and there are other characters than just tabs and spaces in front of a tab, the next character may not align properly. TEXT2PS(L)