Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Issue deleting blank line from a file Post 302895056 by in2nix4life on Friday 28th of March 2014 10:48:55 AM
Old 03-28-2014
Try adding set -x to the top of your script below the #!/bin/sh line, run it again, and provide the output.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
set -x

This User Gave Thanks to in2nix4life For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the blank line in a file and counting the characters....

Hi, I am trying to do two things in my script. I will really appreciate any help in this regards. Is there a way to delete a last line from a pipe delimited flat file if the last line is blank. If the line is not blank then do nothing..... Is there a way to count a word that are starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a line in file with blank line

Hi I nned cmd to which will help me to replace a line in file with blank line e.g. file1 a b c d e after running cmd I shud get file1 b c d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

4. Solaris

deleting blank space in beginning of line in vi

How can we delete all the blank spaces in the beginning of some lines in a text in vi? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL sorrting issue, and unwanted blank line above heading

Hi, I am running a shell script on Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1A. I have attached the shill script with the sql script it is calling to extract some data(hyp_dta_Extr.sql), and the results. I need the file to be tab delimited. (please note that I have renamed hyp_dta_Extr.sql to hyp_dta_Extr.txt to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dazz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank lines ONLY at the end of the file

Hi Guys, I have a quetion which was already discussed in the forum, but for some reason all approches suggested fail for me. I have a file which have blank lines at the body of the text as well as at the end. I need to delete ONLY blank lines at the end. Unfortunatly the approach below does not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue deleting all lines (having a specific string) in a file

I'm trying to create a script. There are 2 files - fileA.log & fileB.log fileA.log has the below data : aaaa cccc eeee fileB.log has the below data : cjahdskjah aaaa xyz jhaskjdhas bbbb abc ajdhjkh cccc abc cjahdskjah ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pandee
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Deleting the last non blank line from a file

PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17 131633|2017-08-21 PGW|PGW_CDR_|2017-06-23 141946|2017-07-17... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi reddy1
6 Replies
NET(5)								File Formats Manual							    NET(5)

NAME
net - format of .net files read/written by Magic's netlist editor DESCRIPTION
Netlist files are read and written by Magic's netlist editor in a very simple ASCII format. The first line contains the characters `` Netlist File'' (the leading blank is important). After that comes a blank line and then the descriptions of one or more nets. Each net contains one or more lines, where each line contains a single terminal name. The nets are separated by blank lines. Any line that is blank or whose first character is blank is considered to be a separator line and the rest of its contents are ignored. Each terminal name is a path, much like a file path name in Unix. It consists of one or more fields separated by slashes. The last field in the path is the name of a label in a cell. The other fields (if any), are cell instance identifiers that form a path from the edit cell down to the label. The first instance identifier must name a subcell of the edit cell, the second must be a subcell of the first, and so on. Instance identifiers are unique within their parent cells, so a terminal path selects a unique cell to contain the label. However, the same label may appear multiple times within its cell. When this occurs, Magic assumes that the identical labels identify electrically equivalent terminals; it will choose the closest of them when routing to that terminal. Further, after connecting to one of these termi- nals Magic may take advantage of the internal wiring connecting them together and route through a cell to complete the net's wiring. An example netlist file follows below. It contains three distinct nets. ---------------------------------------- Netlist File alu/bit_1/cout alu/bit_2/cin regcell[21,2]/output latch[2]/input This line starts with a blank, so it's a separator. opcode_pla/out6 shifter/drivers/shift2 ---------------------------------------- SEE ALSO
magic(1) 4th Berkeley Distribution NET(5)