Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Power failure: file damage?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Power failure: file damage? Post 302894968 by raylier on Friday 28th of March 2014 06:47:09 AM
Old 03-28-2014
Power failure: file damage?

~#hello -all,
Many UNIX/Linux/BSD/etc books warn about turn off the puter without a proper shutdown. This can damage files which are open at that moment. Seems logical to me. My question is.. does the system warn you when there are damaged files when the system is up again? I had a power failure this week (twice) while my Linux and freeBSD servers were running. (for study so no power backup). Everything works fine. But is it possible that there are damaged files I don't know of but can cause trouble later on? Thanks for reading.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xstartup file failure - HELP !!

Hi, dear Experts ! I need some help, again. Earlier in my work I experienced that one script included in '/etc/dt/config/Xstartup' file caused some serious troubles. But this is another story. The point here is: I changed the script so that it worked again. But... After restart of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restart on power failure

How do I configure my workstation (Solaris 9) to restart and perform any check disk automatically if there is a power failure? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: here2learn
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Automatic reboot does not work after power failure

Hi all, I have a server SUN FUJITSU in solaris 10 ; result of uname -a is : SunOS MOBD1 5.10 Generic_118833-03 sun4us sparc FJSV,GPUZC-M I have configured the eeprom to auto-boot as usual and this automatic reboot does not work in case of power failure. I must type "boot" on the prompt "ok"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writting a shell script to delete damage files

hi, I have 100 files say File1.mp3, File2.mp3 .......file100.mp3 i found that File1.mp3 to File50.mp3 are damaged. I want to delete the damaged files from the directory using sed with regex how can i do this. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba
5 Replies

5. SCO

file system not getting mounted in read write mode after system power failure

After System power get failed File system is not getting mounted in read- write mode (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gtkpmbpl
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

boot up failure unix sco after power failure

hi power went out. next day unix sco wont boot up error code 303. any help appreciated as we are clueless. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredthayer
11 Replies

7. Solaris

After power failure, SunFireV240 with SOLARIS 5.9 cannot start

SUNW, Sun Fire V240 Spare Sun OS Release 5.9 After a power failure we try to start the server We have the following messages: Thanks for your assistance (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: doudou2012
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure of sftp send to log file

I want to transfer all details of sftp connection into a log file and spawn sftp $PCMSu@$FTP_LOC >> log_file is not working for me. Please suggest how to send the data to a log file that has all information if sftp connection is successful or not? Script that I am using: #!/usr/bin/expect... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geeta Yadav
7 Replies
powerd(1M)																powerd(1M)

NAME
powerd - power manager daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/power/powerd [-n] The powerd daemon is started by pmconfig(1M) to monitor system activity and perform an automatic shutdown using the suspend-resume feature. When the system is suspended, complete current state is saved on the disk before power is removed. On reboot, the system automatically starts a resume operation and the system is restored to the same state it was in immediately prior to suspend. Immediately prior to system shutdown, the daemon notifies syslogd(1M) of the shutdown, which broadcasts a notification. The following option is supported: -n No broadcast mode. The daemon silently shuts down the system without notifying syslogd(1M). /etc/power.conf Power Management configuration information file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWpmu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pmconfig(1M), dtpower(1M), syslogd(1M), power.conf(4), attributes(5), cpr(7), pm(7D) Using Power Management 15 Oct 1999 powerd(1M)