Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting CAT 3 files with the same name in 3 different folders Post 302894810 by sea on Thursday 27th of March 2014 11:19:04 AM
Old 03-27-2014
Code:
cat /sharedpath/{unique1,unique2,unique3}/filename > newfile

NOTE: > overwrites existing content in newfile, while >> appends it to whatever was (and still will be) in newfile before.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing old files except configuration files and folders

Dear all, I want to remove files older than 2 months in the /home/member directory. But except the configuration files (like .bash_profile .config/ .openoffice/ .local/ .kde/ etc..) I have tried with the command find . -mtime +60 -wholename './.*' -prune -o -print -exec mv {} \; but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcalicut
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat files

Hi, I was a typical Windows guy. Like to do things just by clicking my mouse:cool:. I got a new job now...where they are big on unix. I am trying to wet my fingures now with unix. Haven't taken the dive yet. I am trying to find a solution for this problem. Please help me with some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep78
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders in Unix

Hi, I had a directory and many subdirectories and files with in it. Now i want to get the timestamp of files from the files and folders recursively. :( Please help me to generate a script fort he above mentioned requirement! Appreciate for ur qick response Thanks in advance! ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cat on specific files only

I am concatenating txt-files using cat: cat *.txt > file.dat However, the same directory has the installation instructions included, which is also a txt file: install.txt I currently have the install.txt file renamed to install._txt, but I prefer a solution using regular expressions. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
FC-CAT(1)																 FC-CAT(1)

NAME
fc-cat - read font information cache files SYNOPSIS
fc-cat [ -rvVh ] [ --recurse ] [ --verbose ] [ --version ] [ --help ] [ [ fonts-cache-%version%-files ] [ dirs ] ... ] DESCRIPTION
fc-cat reads the font information from cache files or related to font directories and emits it in ASCII form. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -r Recurse into subdirectories. -v Be verbose. -h Show summary of options. -V Show version of the program and exit. SEE ALSO
fc-cache(1) fc-list(1) fc-match(1) fc-pattern(1) fc-query(1) fc-scan(1) The fontconfig user's guide, in HTML format: /usr/share/doc/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Patrick Lam <plam@mit.edu>. Aug 13, 2008 FC-CAT(1)