Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions UNIX script coding HW question Post 302894443 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 25th of March 2014 01:36:16 PM
Old 03-25-2014
Quote:
[ $x = [aA] ] && echo "Add"
Does that really work?
IMHO the standard demands
Code:
if [[ $x == [aA] ]]
then
 echo "Add"
fi

(Also I replaced the quick && by an if statement.) This and the equivalent case statement use shell globbing (not RE).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Coding question for any experts out there

Given this one long stream of data (all one line): <TransactionDetail><TransactionHeader><ErrorLogging>YES</ErrorLogging><HistoryLogging>YES</HistoryLogging><ErrorDetection>NO</ErrorD... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfran1972
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Coding Standard For Unix Shell Scripting!!!

Is there any site on Coding Standard for Shell Scripting in UNIX. Please help me know!!!!! Thanks Om (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Omkumar
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding tip required

Hi! Suppose I am at a location xyz:/abc1/abc2/abc3 Is it possible to move to another location xyz:/mnl1/mnl2/mnl3 by some coding within a script? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: udiptya
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Getting Started in UNIX - incorporating C coding

I'm just starting a 'serious' coding in UNIX, so what I need is to run a C code on UNIX, What do I have to install (app) prior to coding/running the code and how do I compile that code? can I write my c code in UNIX or I need to have a visual studio for this? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peevish
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix coding for triggering informatica

Hi, I have very little knowledge with unix and pmcmd. I need help with a issue. I have to see whether a file has been dropped in a particular location/path. If the file dropped I have to check the last modified time, which should be greater than 8pmEST the prior day. If the file has been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: redwolves
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in shell script coding

I have a file f1.txt that contains string: f1.txt aaa bbb ccc ... I want to write code to search that each string in file f2.txt(this file contains 1000+line codes). file f2.txt .. .. ....aaa...xyz.. ... ... ...ppp... (dots . can be characters ot blank spaces) If particular... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanchit
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX script coding help?

Unix script coding help? i am trying to write a code that will display following menu to user: (A) Add (B) Subtract (C) Multiply (D) Divide (E) Modulus (F) Exponentiation (G) Exit Then ask user for choice (A-F). After taking users choice ask user for two numbers and perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with understand shell script coding

Good afternoon everyone, I am very new to UNIX shell scripting and I am trying to understand the following code. I know what it does but I need to modify it so it will allow me to pass a file name as *FILENAME* Thank for any guidance offered. if ] ; then match=`expr "$file" :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Walter Barona
2 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Coding Style at UNIX.com forums

Hi, as I mentioned in this thread(https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/280737-awk-function-return-permutations-n-items-out-m.html), a helpful coding style may improve overall value and support for people who come here and want to learn things the participants from unix.com have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
2 Replies
IC(1)							      General Commands Manual							     IC(1)

NAME
ic - integer calculator SYNOPSIS
ic [expression] EXAMPLES
ic # Start the calculator ic 250 300+ # Start calculator with 550 on the stack DESCRIPTION
Ic is a simple RPN (Reverse Polish Notation) calculator, used for small calculations and base conversions. All calculations are done using 32 bit integers. The standard input is usually a keyboard and the standard output requires a device with a 'termcap' entry. The program starts by interpreting any <args> as commands, where the separation between arguments is considered to be the same as the ENTER key. For example, "ic 692 784+ After reading the arguments input is from the keyboard. Stack Operations The operation of this program is similar to an RPN calculator. A six level stack is used. The ENTER key pushes the stack up one level. For example, '12+5' is entered as '12 ENTER 5 +". The top two entries on the stack are exchanged by the x command, and the stack is rolled down one (popped) by the p key. The top of the stack may be cleared by pressing the back-space key. The whole stack and the registers are initialized by a z. Numeric Entry The input and output bases are initially decimal, but they may be changed using the i and o commands. The i command changes both bases, but the o command changes just the output base. These commands take a one character argument of h, d, o or b to change to Hexadecimal, Deci- mal, Octal or Binary. While the input base is hexadecimal the letters a through f are used to represent the decimal values 10 through 15. When the input base is decimal: multiply, divide and remainder are signed, otherwise they are performed unsigned. The output base may also be changed to ASCII (a), this causes the least significant 7 bits of a value to be displayed as a character. To input an ASCII value the translate (t) command may be used, it accepts one character as its argument. Calculations The arithmetic operations supported are: Negate ('.'), Add ('+'), Subtract ('-'), Multiply ('*'), Divide ('/'), and Remainder ('%'). The logical (Boolean) operations available are: NOT ('~'), AND ('&'), OR ('|'), and EXCLUSIVE-OR ('^'). After one of these operations the last top of stack value is saved. It may be restored by pressing l (L). Saving Results Ten temporary registers are available. The Store (s) command followed by a digit ('0'..'9') will copy the top of the stack to the specified register. The Recall (r) command pushes the contents of a register onto the top of the stack. If the Store command is followed by a '+' preceding the digit, then the top of the stack will be added to the specified 'accumulator' reg- ister. Values may also be written to a file. The w command writes the top of the stack, using the current output base, to a file called 'pad' in the current directory. If the user does not have write access to the current directory then the file /tmp/pad_$USER is used as the scratch pad. The scratch pad file is erased on the first use of the w command within each new invocation of 'ic'. Miscellaneous The Quit (q) key causes an immediate exit. The m command temporarily leaves ic by invoking the shell as a sub-process. For help while using ic, hit the h key. If an erroneous key is pressed the bell will sound. Command Summary Note that many commands have an alternative key-code available on the extended AT keyboard. This aids entry by including most commands on the right side of the keyboard. ENTER Enter (push up) BS (DEL) Clear top of stack h Help i Input base (h, d, o, b) l (PGDN) Last top of stack m MINIX shell o Output base (h, d, o, b, a) p (DOWN) Pop stack (roll down) q (END) Quit r (LEFT) Recall (0-9) s (RIGHT) Store [+] (0-9) t Translate (char) w (PGUP) Write top of stack to scratch pad x (UP) Exchange top of stack z (HOME) Zero all state . Change sign + (+) Add - (-) Subtract * Multiply / Divide % (sh/5) Remainder (tilde) Not & And | Or ^ Exclusive-or Author Ic was written by Terrence W. Holm. IC(1)