Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Getting ls content into a file using variable Post 302894042 by balajesuri on Sunday 23rd of March 2014 09:44:43 AM
Old 03-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinababy
hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD
what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? Smilie
Please explain a bit more.. $PWD contains the current working directory.. How do you intend to use this information?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to assign the content of a file to a variable?

Hi all, I have a problem here. I have a file and let we take the content of the file is just '32' (only a numeric value in that file). Now I need to assign this numeric value ( value in that file) to a variable. Is that possible? If so, can you plz advice me on this? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable of Content From Part of Other File

I may not being doing this description justice, but I'll give it a try. I created a mailx script; there will be several messages using the same script where the only difference is the content. So I figured I'd make the content of the message a variable retrieved from a separate file. I have five... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royarellano
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get content of a variable into text file (sed)?

Hello, Im working on this problem for 3 days now and i just cant get it to work.. I tried with alot of different sed methods but didnt find any solution. Its proberly verry simple but i just started bash scripting for a month or so.. i have a file called: file.nfo and file.txt the content... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: atmosroll
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put content of file into a variable?

For example, I have a simple text file note: this a note a simple note a very very simple notewhen I use this command, temp=$(cat "note.txt")then I echo temp, the result is in one line. echo $temp note: this a note a simple note a very very simple noteMy variable doesn't have newline. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: 14th
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut the variable from the line and use it to find the file and read the content of that file

Hi, I am working on one script..I am having files in the below format file 1 (each line is separated with : delimeter) SPLASH:SPLASH:SVN CIB/MCH:MCH:SVN Now I want from file 1 that most left part of the first line will store in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
6 Replies

7. Programming

PASSING PART OF FILE CONTENT TO VARIABLE

All, I have a log file containing lots of data now i want to extract all text between block below(names) without the title or end pattern but only names, ++++START++++ SCOTT TIGER HENRY PAUL JARED OTIENO OMOLLO JA NIGERIA ++++END++++ the names i want to return and store in a variable in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scott2000
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi , i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help. I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command. while read line do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
PWD(1P) 						     POSIX Programmer's Manual							   PWD(1P)

PROLOG
This manual page is part of the POSIX Programmer's Manual. The Linux implementation of this interface may differ (consult the correspond- ing Linux manual page for details of Linux behavior), or the interface may not be implemented on Linux. NAME
pwd - return working directory name SYNOPSIS
pwd [-L | -P ] DESCRIPTION
The pwd utility shall write to standard output an absolute pathname of the current working directory, which does not contain the filenames dot or dot-dot. OPTIONS
The pwd utility shall conform to the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 12.2, Utility Syntax Guidelines. The following options shall be supported by the implementation: -L If the PWD environment variable contains an absolute pathname of the current directory that does not contain the filenames dot or dot-dot, pwd shall write this pathname to standard output. Otherwise, the -L option shall behave as the -P option. -P The absolute pathname written shall not contain filenames that, in the context of the pathname, refer to files of type symbolic link. If both -L and -P are specified, the last one shall apply. If neither -L nor -P is specified, the pwd utility shall behave as if -L had been specified. OPERANDS
None. STDIN
Not used. INPUT FILES
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables shall affect the execution of pwd: LANG Provide a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. (See the Base Definitions volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, Section 8.2, Internationalization Variables for the precedence of internationalization variables used to determine the values of locale categories.) LC_ALL If set to a non-empty string value, override the values of all the other internationalization variables. LC_MESSAGES Determine the locale that should be used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. NLSPATH Determine the location of message catalogs for the processing of LC_MESSAGES . PWD If the -P option is in effect, this variable shall be set to an absolute pathname of the current working directory that does not contain any components that specify symbolic links, does not contain any components that are dot, and does not contain any compo- nents that are dot-dot. If an application sets or unsets the value of PWD, the behavior of pwd is unspecified. ASYNCHRONOUS EVENTS
Default. STDOUT
The pwd utility output is an absolute pathname of the current working directory: "%s ", <directory pathname> STDERR
The standard error shall be used only for diagnostic messages. OUTPUT FILES
None. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
None. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values shall be returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS
If an error is detected, output shall not be written to standard output, a diagnostic message shall be written to standard error, and the exit status is not zero. The following sections are informative. APPLICATION USAGE
None. EXAMPLES
None. RATIONALE
Some implementations have historically provided pwd as a shell special built-in command. In most utilities, if an error occurs, partial output may be written to standard output. This does not happen in historical implementations of pwd. Because pwd is frequently used in historical shell scripts without checking the exit status, it is important that the historical behavior is required here; therefore, the CONSEQUENCES OF ERRORS section specifically disallows any partial output being written to stan- dard output. FUTURE DIRECTIONS
None. SEE ALSO
cd, the System Interfaces volume of IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, getcwd() COPYRIGHT
Portions of this text are reprinted and reproduced in electronic form from IEEE Std 1003.1, 2003 Edition, Standard for Information Technol- ogy -- Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX), The Open Group Base Specifications Issue 6, Copyright (C) 2001-2003 by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc and The Open Group. In the event of any discrepancy between this version and the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard, the original IEEE and The Open Group Standard is the referee document. The original Standard can be obtained online at http://www.opengroup.org/unix/online.html . IEEE
/The Open Group 2003 PWD(1P)