Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Named pipe hanging?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Named pipe hanging? Post 302893532 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 19th of March 2014 03:45:30 PM
Old 03-19-2014
What return code are you trying to capture?
What are you trying to capture in the log file? (What you have seems to want to capture the output from the echo commands, but not the output from the ls command.)
It would seem that:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

touch test.file

LOG=./tmp.log

echo "Hello world"  >${LOG}  2>&1

ls -ltr test.file

echo "Goodbye world"  >>${LOG}  2>&1

would be much simpler than what you're doing and produce the same results.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666);) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
1 Replies

2. Programming

IPC using named pipe

Hi All, I am facing a vague issue while trying to make two process talk to each other using named pipe. read process ========= The process which reads, basically creates FIFO using mkfifo - ret_val = mkfifo(HALF_DUPLEX, 0666) func. It then opens the pipe using open func - fd = open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharanbr
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named PIPE

Gurus, I've a File Transaction Server, which communicates with other servers and performs some processing.It uses many Named PIPE's. By mistake i copied a named PIPE into a text file. I heard that PIPE files shouldn't be copied.Isn't it? Since it's a production box, i'm afraid on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tamil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named Pipe contents to a file

I want to copy the contents of a named pipe to a file. I have tried using: cat pipe.p >> transcript.log but I have been unsuccessful, any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: carl_vieyra
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filtering mail into a named pipe

Hello, On my machine, all mail is stored in my /var/spool/mail. IS there a way to direct all mail that goes there into a namep pipe? Thank you, Dado (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadoprso
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe to file named with date

I would like to pipe (redirect ? - what is the right term?) the output of my script to a file named with the current date. If I run this at a command prompt: date +'%Y%m%d" ...it returns "20110429" OK, that's good... so I try: ./script.sh > "'date +%Y%m%d'.csv" I get a file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Named pipe in shell script

Hi, I want to use a Named pipe to get input from a growing file for further processing. When I prototype this scenario using a while loop, the data is not written to the named pipe. This the script I use to get data into the Named pipe: #!/bin/ksh mkfifo pipe while (( n <= 10 )) do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Named pipe performance

Hi, I am getting data into a Named pipe. Does Named pipe have any size restriction; I know it does not have any storage and it just passes on the data to the next process. I want to know, if there will be a difference in the Named pipe performance if the data input is more. (I am using DB2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
1 Replies

9. Programming

Named pipe behavior in Linux

Hi All ! I try to collect importent events from syslog and in my syslog conf, there is something like this: *.* |/logs/ipes/SLpipe1 I have a program, which opens this pipe and reads the messages from it. But how this pipe works ? Where can I probably read something about the details,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mabra
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to test named pipe file?

Hi ALL, How can I test a given file name exists and if it is a named pipe file in shell script ? Thanks............ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mycode.in
2 Replies
IPROP-LOG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      IPROP-LOG(8)

NAME
iprop-log -- maintain the iprop log file SYNOPSIS
iprop-log [--version] [-h | --help] command iprop-log truncate [-c file | --config-file=file] [-r string | --realm=string] [-h | --help] iprop-log dump [-c file | --config-file=file] [-r string | --realm=string] [-h | --help] iprop-log replay [--start-version=version-number] [--end-version=version-number] [-c file | --config-file=file] [-r string | --realm=string] [-h | --help] DESCRIPTION
Supported options: --version -h, --help command can be one of the following: truncate -c file, --config-file=file configuration file -r string, --realm=string realm Truncates the log. Sets the new logs version number for the to the last entry of the old log. If the log is truncted by emptying the file, the log will start over at the first version (0). dump -c file, --config-file=file configuration file -r string, --realm=string realm Print out all entries in the log to standard output. replay --start-version=version-number start replay with this version --end-version=version-number end replay with this version -c file, --config-file=file configuration file -r string, --realm=string realm Replay the changes from specified entries (or all if none is specified) in the transaction log to the database. last-version -c file, --config-file=file configuration file -r string, --realm=string realm prints the version of the last log entry. SEE ALSO
iprop(8) Heimdal February 18, 2007 Heimdal