Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl code to retrieve text from website Post 302893309 by Corona688 on Tuesday 18th of March 2014 12:25:44 PM
Old 03-18-2014
The shell treats anything beginning with # as a comment. You must quote it to get it treated as a string.

Code:
perl -MLWP::Simple -le '$s=shift;$c=get("http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gtr/tests/508680/$s/");
$c=~/meta content=(.*?)name=\"Test name\"/msg; print length($1),"
\t$1"' "#overview"

It still doesn't work quite right, but now at least you can get $s in the url.

I don't see "test name" tag value anywhere in that URL incidentally. And the only 'meta content=' tag has a value of 'robots' which doesn't look that useful to me.

Last edited by Corona688; 03-18-2014 at 01:57 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

retrieve text after grep

I am trying to search for a pattern in a file containing xml - When I match the search I want to retrieve all the text within the xml brackets.. Whats the best way to read in data between xml tags in a shell script? ie.. xml returned which I have in a file now is something like below:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl website login and session

Hi, I'm currently working on a perl website, and I would need a system where a few users can login into the administration side of the site. about 5-10 users maximum, all pretty simple. I was thinking of using an .htaccess file and a seperate admin folder on the server. I'm wondering if there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LNC
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve what the currently selected item is in a dropdown select list using perl tk

I have a dropdown menu built in perl tk (I am using active state perl). I want to select a value from the dropdown menu and I want to be able to perform some other actions depending upon what value is selected. I have all the graphical part made but I dont know how to get the selected value. Any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lassimanji
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Perl to query a website and parse the result

Hi, I am a JAVA programmer and I have no idea about perl. I did use it a long time ago and I don't even remember the basics. So here is my problem: In my work, I am supposed to build a simple program that opens a website (Gene Ontology)and passes my query and returns the result into a file. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chavanak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl: a way to see a sub code in debug mode: perl -de 0 ?

Is there a way to see or print a sub code? Sometime a sub could be already defined, but in the debug mode (so, interactively) it could be already out of screen. So, I would think about a way to check if the sub is defined (just 'defined' is not a problem) and how it is defined. Also, if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a number or string from file1 and redirect into file2 in perl script?

hello forum members, I am siva ,As i am new to perl scripting i looking help from forum members. i need a sample program are command for pattern matching. I have file name infile1 which some data, I need to search the particular number are string in the file which repeats n number of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: retrieve the data based on regular expression

Hi Friends i have a code below sample $text contains the values test1 PIC X test1 PIC XX test1 PIC XXX test1 PIC X(8) test1 PIC X(12) test1 PIC X test1 X(8) test1 PIC X VALUE 'N'. $text =~ /^\d{6} +(\d{2}) +(+) +PIC +(+)(\((\d+)\)(V(+)| +(COMP\-3).|\.)|( +(COMP\-3).|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i run sql queries from UNIX shell script and retrieve data into text docs of UNIX?

Please share the doc asap as very urgently required. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 24ajay
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Retrieve information Text/Word from HTML code using awk/sed

awk/sed newbie here. I have a HTML file and from that file and I would like to retrieve a text word. <font face=arial size=-1><li><a href=/value_for_clients/Tokyo/abc_process.txt>abc</a> NDK Version: 4.0 </li> <font face=arial size=-1><li><a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sk2code
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search a text in file and retrieve required lines following it with UNIX command?

I have requirement to search for a text in the file and retrieve required lines that is user defined with unix command. Eg: Find the text UNIX in the below file and need to return Test 8 & Test 9 Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4 UNIX Test 5 Test 6 Test 7 Test 8 Test 9 Result can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunkumarsak4
8 Replies
LWP::Simple(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    LWP::Simple(3)

NAME
LWP::Simple - simple procedural interface to LWP SYNOPSIS
perl -MLWP::Simple -e 'getprint "http://www.sn.no"' use LWP::Simple; $content = get("http://www.sn.no/"); die "Couldn't get it!" unless defined $content; if (mirror("http://www.sn.no/", "foo") == RC_NOT_MODIFIED) { ... } if (is_success(getprint("http://www.sn.no/"))) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module is meant for people who want a simplified view of the libwww-perl library. It should also be suitable for one-liners. If you need more control or access to the header fields in the requests sent and responses received, then you should use the full object-oriented interface provided by the "LWP::UserAgent" module. The following functions are provided (and exported) by this module: get($url) The get() function will fetch the document identified by the given URL and return it. It returns "undef" if it fails. The $url argument can be either a string or a reference to a URI object. You will not be able to examine the response code or response headers (like 'Content-Type') when you are accessing the web using this function. If you need that information you should use the full OO interface (see LWP::UserAgent). head($url) Get document headers. Returns the following 5 values if successful: ($content_type, $document_length, $modified_time, $expires, $server) Returns an empty list if it fails. In scalar context returns TRUE if successful. getprint($url) Get and print a document identified by a URL. The document is printed to the selected default filehandle for output (normally STDOUT) as data is received from the network. If the request fails, then the status code and message are printed on STDERR. The return value is the HTTP response code. getstore($url, $file) Gets a document identified by a URL and stores it in the file. The return value is the HTTP response code. mirror($url, $file) Get and store a document identified by a URL, using If-modified-since, and checking the Content-Length. Returns the HTTP response code. This module also exports the HTTP::Status constants and procedures. You can use them when you check the response code from getprint(), getstore() or mirror(). The constants are: RC_CONTINUE RC_SWITCHING_PROTOCOLS RC_OK RC_CREATED RC_ACCEPTED RC_NON_AUTHORITATIVE_INFORMATION RC_NO_CONTENT RC_RESET_CONTENT RC_PARTIAL_CONTENT RC_MULTIPLE_CHOICES RC_MOVED_PERMANENTLY RC_MOVED_TEMPORARILY RC_SEE_OTHER RC_NOT_MODIFIED RC_USE_PROXY RC_BAD_REQUEST RC_UNAUTHORIZED RC_PAYMENT_REQUIRED RC_FORBIDDEN RC_NOT_FOUND RC_METHOD_NOT_ALLOWED RC_NOT_ACCEPTABLE RC_PROXY_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED RC_REQUEST_TIMEOUT RC_CONFLICT RC_GONE RC_LENGTH_REQUIRED RC_PRECONDITION_FAILED RC_REQUEST_ENTITY_TOO_LARGE RC_REQUEST_URI_TOO_LARGE RC_UNSUPPORTED_MEDIA_TYPE RC_INTERNAL_SERVER_ERROR RC_NOT_IMPLEMENTED RC_BAD_GATEWAY RC_SERVICE_UNAVAILABLE RC_GATEWAY_TIMEOUT RC_HTTP_VERSION_NOT_SUPPORTED The HTTP::Status classification functions are: is_success($rc) True if response code indicated a successful request. is_error($rc) True if response code indicated that an error occurred. The module will also export the LWP::UserAgent object as $ua if you ask for it explicitly. The user agent created by this module will identify itself as "LWP::Simple/#.##" and will initialize its proxy defaults from the environment (by calling $ua->env_proxy). CAVEAT
Note that if you are using both LWP::Simple and the very popular CGI.pm module, you may be importing a "head" function from each module, producing a warning like "Prototype mismatch: sub main::head ($) vs none". Get around this problem by just not importing LWP::Simple's "head" function, like so: use LWP::Simple qw(!head); use CGI qw(:standard); # then only CGI.pm defines a head() Then if you do need LWP::Simple's "head" function, you can just call it as "LWP::Simple::head($url)". SEE ALSO
LWP, lwpcook, LWP::UserAgent, HTTP::Status, lwp-request, lwp-mirror perl v5.16.2 2012-02-18 LWP::Simple(3)