Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Creation of directories Post 302892864 by simkazw on Saturday 15th of March 2014 07:08:36 AM
Old 03-15-2014
[Solved] Creation of directories

i am having trouble creating a directory with last months date as the folder name.
what i am using is
Code:
echo `date +%b%y`

which gives
Code:
Mar14

as the result but i want to get Feb14 as the result.Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 03-15-2014 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creation of multiple directories

I have a folder structure like the below /test/test1/test2/app /test/test3/app /test/test4/test5/app .. I need to create a new folder under "app" in all the above listed directory structure at one shot by the name "subapp" . How can we acheive this using a script . New to unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshnatarajan
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved] Script creation (how to include options in the script)

Hi guys i have written a script which takes the options given to him and execute itself accordingly. for example if a script name is doctortux then executing doctortux without option should made doctortux to be executed in automatic mode i.e. doctortux -a or if a doctortux is needed to run in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories with given string, sort by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, which directories name has given particular string. Example: Directories with name "Build" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order. I tried with; find . -type d -name "Build*" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Finding the Files In the Same Name Directories

Hi, In the Unix Box, I have a situation, where there is folder name called "Projects" and in that i have 20 Folders S1,S2,S3...S20. In each of the Folders S1,S2,S3,...S20 , there is a same name folder named "MP". So Now, I want to get all the files in all the "MP" Folders and write all those... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva Sankar
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

Symbolic link creation between 2 directories on different machines

I am trying to link 2 directories using: ln -s /net/<hostname>/srcdir/ /net/<desthostname>/dstdir/ I get the following error: ln: /net/<desthostname>/dstdir: Function is not available What is it that i am trying to do wrongly in the above operation? Please use next time code tags (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit Kulkarni
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating creation of directories

I have a top-level directory called work and I would like to create subdirectories work1 work2... under this directory. Also I would like to create subdirectory under work1 -- test, work2 -- test etc., Can I automate this using a command-line script? work |_work 1 |_test |_work 2 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharone
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Perform an operation to all directories

Sorry, about this thread - I solved my own problem! Thanks for taking a look. edit by bakunin: no problem, but it would have been a nice touch to actually tell us what the solution was. This would have been slightlich more educating than just knowing that you found it. I changed your title to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blue Solo
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Find the newest file in two directories

Hi i have two directories and files inside them Directory 1: Directory 2: These files are the same but song.mp3 in Directory 1 is newer than song.mp3 in Directory 2, and work.txt in Directory 2 is newer than work.txt in Directory 1. Now is my question. How i can compare these files... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Falstaff
10 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)