Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Linux copy directory without using cp -r or any variant Post 302892757 by rbatte1 on Friday 14th of March 2014 12:08:36 PM
Old 03-14-2014
The only reason I can think of not to use cp is because it has been deleted or moved. I speak from experience of a production system where a change tried to move / and it's contents into a subdirectory. Smilie It got quite a long way down too, moving /dev amongst other things which made new login impossible even on the console.

Can you explain why you need such an odd thing? It might illicit better responses.

Robin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Please help - System V Release 4 Variant

Sorry for this newbie question, but what exactly is Unix system V release 4 variant, and where do I download or buy this edition? There is alot of Unix info on the web, but the specifics can be a bit diverse. sorry (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tropophyte
1 Replies

2. Linux

Where Can I Find the ar Archiver BSD Variant

I've been trying to get my hands on the source for the BSD variant of the ar archiver, but have not been able to find it anywhere. Does anyone know where I can get it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deluge
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy Last modified directory to another directory

Hi, I have to copy last modified Directory to another directory.How can i Do using pipe or redirect cp -R 'ls -lrt|tail -1' test is not working. please help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaveta
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy directory from Linux to Windows

Hola a todos, soy realmente nuevo programando en bash, y aśn estoy encontrando bastantes baches :o, mi pregunta es simple, supongo, alguien podria decirme si existe una manera facil de copiar un directorio de un server a otro?, sucede que en un server(server1) tengo los backup de las bases de... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yeestrada
7 Replies

5. Linux

BSD Variant of ar (The Archiver)

A while back I posted about trying to find the BSD version of ar (The Archiver): https://www.unix.com/linux/136258-where-can-i-find-ar-archiver-bsd-variant.html I was given a link to the source, found here: ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/ar-20080302.tgz I recently was able... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deluge
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy the directory but not copy certain file

Hi experts cp bin root src /mnt but not copy bin/bigfile any help? ( I post this thread in the "redhat" forum wrongly, I don't know how to withdraw that question in that wrong forum) Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy the files in directory and sub folders as it is to another directory.

How to copy files from one directory to another directory with the subfolders copied. If i have folder1/sub1/sub2/* it needs to copy files to folder2/sub1/sub2/*. I do not want to create sub folders in folder2. Can copy command create them automatically? I tried cp -a and cp -R but did... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh2626
4 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to count successfully copy files source to target location with check directory in Linux?

Hi guys...please any one help me .... how to copy files from source to target location if 5 files copied successfully out of 10 files then implement success=10 and if remaining 5 files not copied successfully then count error=5 how to implement this condition with in loop i need code linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
0 Replies

9. Debian

Which older version and variant ISO image should I use?

Which older version and variant of Debian Linux ISO image should I use? I attempted to install two versions of Debian Linux Operating System onto my older full tower computer. First version, V8.5.0, Amd64, xfce, 32Bit. Second version V7.11.0, i386, 32Bit. When trying to install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jefferyab6
1 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)