Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Having trouble with simple grep search Post 302892576 by rbatte1 on Thursday 13th of March 2014 01:25:26 PM
Old 03-13-2014
If you have something to match and something to exclude, you can achieve this in two connected commands:-
Code:
grep -E "a" file | grep -Evc "h"

The v flag is a negation, so the above will first find all records that match the condition (i.e. contain a) then count all records that do not match the second condition h

I hope that this helps,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble with search and substitute

Hi there, I have a file with 1800+ lines and all are something like this: drwx--x--x 12960 4096 Oct 6 2006 palfvoet drwx--x--x 67205 4096 May 9 05:21 pallsopp drwx--x--x palmgren 4096 Oct 6 2006 palmgren now, as you... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: besgal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep : having trouble with a single quote

Hi, I search for the string below which contains a single quote, some text '/home/myuser in the file myfile.txt as another user with the grep command as follows su - myuser -c "grep 'some text \'/home/myuser' myfile.txt" I also tried using two backslashes su - myuser... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cimcmahon
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Strucked in Simple if

Whats the wrong with the following code: if ; then echo "File XYZ Exist" if ] ; then echo "File abc is not empty, script continues" else echo "File abc is empty, script aborts" exit 0 fi else echo "File XYZ does not exist" exit 0 Error: testscript.ksh:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Simple while loop does not exit

spath="/home/user/k/${1}" dpath="/home/user/seq/Nov17/${1}" cd $dpath ls -1 $spath > list c=1 while read list newlist=`echo $list | sed 's/.gz//' ` newnewlist=`echo $newlist | sed 's/.fastq//' ` do echo $c echo $list c=$(($c+1)) (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Emergency grep/delete trouble!!!

Hi everyone, thank you so much for reading. I built a user reference page from /etc/password for a class project. Now I need two shell scripts: 1) Add names to the reference page 2) Delete names from the reference page. I know grep -v is involved somehow and some piping but I am super stuck. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsmpdx
1 Replies

6. Linux

[SOLVED] Trouble adding Tun module

So I have Ubuntu running on a sheevaplug develop kit, but the damn kernel thing doesn't come with /dev/tun enabled. It was suggested that I look into using module assistant to compile & get this set up but I'm having issues. Linux ubuntu 2.6.39.4 #2 PREEMPT Fri Aug 5 19:05:11 MDT 2011 armv5tel... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dpreviti
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a little trouble with grep

I am trying to make a script that has grep finding lines that I get from the cat command, that start with something and end with an argument. I can get the first part, but whenever I try to add on the part that looks at the end of the line too, it stops working. Any ideas why? Here is my script: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammythesp3rmy
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with simple cutting, joining

Made a file called assignment1.sh and this is what's inside - #!/bin/bash $ cut -c 2 sales.txt > regionalsales.txt $ cut -c 6 sales.txt > regionalsales.txt $ cut -c 1 territory.txt > terrsummary.txt $ cut -c 2 territory.txt > terrsummary.txt $ cut -c 3 territory.txt > terrsummary.txt $ sort... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: htzdruk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep trouble in Bash

PH=(6H 0 0 JD 9S 0 KD 0) #input from .txt file In the above array, I am trying to get the computer to tell me at what indices the non-zeros are at. I don't understand why this doesn't work... grep -v -b "0" ph.txt > position.txt Isn't grep -v supposed to show non matches in Bash?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cogiz
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with tail and grep

Good Morning, i ran into some trouble this morning while 'improving' my monitoring stuff. i would like to get a warning when the number of mails sent (outbound) by postfix is above a certain number. so far, so easy. to test that i simply put cat /var/log/mail.info | grep 'to=<' | grep -v -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mike
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)