Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] List Files With Multiple Name Patterns Post 302892111 by jerome_rajan on Tuesday 11th of March 2014 04:42:32 AM
Old 03-11-2014
[Solved] List Files With Multiple Name Patterns

Hi,

We have created a script that would accept the an indicator as a parameter and archive files present in a directory. The indicator would drive what the name pattern of the files to be archived should be.
If the indicator is 1, then the pattern to look out for is FACT*.
If the indicator is 2, then the patterns to look out for are IMS* and DWH*.

Now I would like to know if there's a way to tar 2 sets of patterns in one command. So, when the indicator is 2, my command would look like

Code:
tar -cvzf $ARCHIVE_FILE_NM (IMS* or DWH*)

Kindly advise

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep multiple patterns in number of files

Hi, I want to list the files containing a no of pattern like for single string i can use grep -l "string" * This command will enlist the files containg this string. Similarly i would like to use for multiple string. I like to enlist file names having string1 and string 2 Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikash_k
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for multiple patterns in files

I have a situation where I need to search for multiple strings (error messages) such as 'aborted' 'file not found' etc in directory having logs. I have put all the error messages in a text file and using the command. grep -f <textfile> <filetobegrepped> I'm doing this thru a script where I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bornon2303
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to search patterns inside list of files

>testfile while read x do if then echo $x >> testfile else fi if then echo $x >> testfile else fi done < list_of_files is there any efficient way to search abc.dml and xyz.dml ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr46014
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search multiple patterns in multiple files

Hi, I have to write one script that has to search a list of numbers in certain zipped files. For eg. one file file1.txt contains the numbers. File1.txt contains 5,00,000 numbers and I have to search each number in zipped files(The number of zipped files are around 1000 each file is 5 MB) I have... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] moving multiple files? mv

HI I have a list of files that are incorrectely names and I need to move them to new name .. I tried few things that has not worked so far can you help ? I need to rename all thes eifle ( tere are over 100 ) xldn0357bap.orig.new xldn0389bap.orig.new xldn0439bap.orig.new... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] HP-UX awk sub multiple patterns

Hi, I am using sub to remove blank spaces and one pattern(=>) from the input string. It works fine when I am using two sub functions for the same. However it is giving error while I am trying to remove both spaces and pattern using one single sub function. Working: $ echo " OK => " |awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Multiple input files and output files

Hi, I have many test*.ft1 files to which I want to read as input for a script called pipe2txt.tcl and print the output in each separate file. For example, pipe2txt.tcl < test001.ft1 > test001.txt How can I read many files in this maner? thank you very much, Best, Pahuja (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pahuja
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find matched patterns in multiple files

Hi, I need help to find matched patterns in 30 files residing in a folder simultaneously. All these files only contain 1 column. For example, File1 Gr_1 st-e34ss-11dd bt-wwd-fewq pt-wq02-ddpk pw-xsw17-aqpp Gr_2 srq-wy09-yyd9 sqq-fdfs-ffs9 Gr_3 etas-qqa-dfw ddw-ppls-qqw... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing matched patterns in multiple files with awk

Hello all, I have since given up trying to figure this out and used sed instead, but I am trying to understand awk and was wondering how someone might do this in awk. I am trying to match on the first field of a specific file with the first field on multiple files, and append the second field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlmalowned
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files not matching multiple patterns and then delete anything older than 10 days

Hi, I have multiple files in my log folder. e.g: a_m1.log b_1.log c_1.log d_1.log b_2.log c_2.log d_2.log e_m1.log a_m2.log e_m2.log I need to keep latest 10 instances of each file. I can write multiple find commands but looking if it is possible in one line. m file are monthly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wahi80
4 Replies
PTARGREP(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					       PTARGREP(1)

NAME
ptargrep - Apply pattern matching to the contents of files in a tar archive SYNOPSIS
ptargrep [options] <pattern> <tar file> ... Options: --basename|-b ignore directory paths from archive --ignore-case|-i do case-insensitive pattern matching --list-only|-l list matching filenames rather than extracting matches --verbose|-v write debugging message to STDERR --help|-? detailed help message DESCRIPTION
This utility allows you to apply pattern matching to the contents of files contained in a tar archive. You might use this to identify all files in an archive which contain lines matching the specified pattern and either print out the pathnames or extract the files. The pattern will be used as a Perl regular expression (as opposed to a simple grep regex). Multiple tar archive filenames can be specified - they will each be processed in turn. OPTIONS
--basename (alias -b) When matching files are extracted, ignore the directory path from the archive and write to the current directory using the basename of the file from the archive. Beware: if two matching files in the archive have the same basename, the second file extracted will overwrite the first. --ignore-case (alias -i) Make pattern matching case-insensitive. --list-only (alias -l) Print the pathname of each matching file from the archive to STDOUT. Without this option, the default behaviour is to extract each matching file. --verbose (alias -v) Log debugging info to STDERR. --help (alias -?) Display this documentation. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2010 Grant McLean <grantm@cpan.org> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2018-08-17 PTARGREP(1)