Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question on disk size and usage Post 302892019 by rbatte1 on Monday 10th of March 2014 10:42:48 AM
Old 03-10-2014
Personally, I would leave the filesytem overhead to the OS default.

You need to look at clearing space more than anything. Be aware that your server may hang and may not complete the boot with such a full root filesystem.
  • Are you LVM? That gives us more options to consider, but as a first pass:-
  • What other filesystems do you have in the root volume group?
  • Are /opt, /tmp, /var & /usr separate filesystems?
  • Do you have any space left in the root volume group (whatever it's called)?
  • Can you show us the output from:-
    Code:
    vgdisplay

then
    Code:
    vgdisplay -v <root_volume_group>

I've just spent a few hours of down-time to shrink and split our root filesystem to reduce the risk of:-
  • Someone creating a huge file in /tmp that fills the root filesystem.
  • A process looping and generating messages to the syslog (usually in /var) and filling the root filesystem
...so it can be done, but it's a bit messy.

You could also have a look at the output from:-
Code:
du -kx|sort -n

and explore where your space is consumed.

Thanks, in advance,
Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

disk usage

what are the ways to check the disc usage by users. I mean to say how to find the biggest space consumer. Regards. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
4 Replies

2. AIX

basic question about disk usage

how to i find out the disk usage on a server. say in windows examples its like C:/ D:/ and checking out the disk space. how can i find in Unix. can i just use df -k (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk usage

Hi ,.. I am working on a script like.... it has to monitor the disk usage (df -H) and if usage is above 95% then it has to return the particular mount point details... i am in confusion to use awk or sed..... regards rrs (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrs
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk Usage

Hi, I want to retrieve the directory in the shell script that is using maximum space on the disk.I was using du command but it displays all the directories that are using the space on the disk.How can retrieve the only directory which uses the maximum space on the disk?? Thanks in advance. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harikamamidala
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

disk usage

fdisk -l shows me the total disk size. How can I see, how much disk space is free or available? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjay83
5 Replies

6. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

7. Solaris

current CPU usage, memory usage, disk I/O oid(snmp)

Hi, I want to monitor the current cpu usage, monitor usage , disk I/o and network utlization for solaris using SNMP. I want the oids for above tasks. can you please tell me that Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S_venkatesh
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

Disk Usage

Hi Experts, glance is showing disk util 100% on of production domain and while collecting sar data using sar -d 5 5, avserv for some of the disks are more than 10 miliseconds. Need your advise on steps that needs to be taken to reduce the disk utilitzation. device %busy avque r+w/s ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_2507
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Disk usage monitoring and record the disk used in last 24 hour

HI I am Trying to edit the below code to send email every day with difference of disk utilized in for last 24 hours but instead getting same usage everyday. can you please help me to point out where my calculation is going wrong. Thank you. ================= #!/bin/bash TODAY="at $(date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mi4304
0 Replies
QUOTAON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						QUOTAON(8)

NAME
quotaon, quotaoff -- turn filesystem quotas on and off SYNOPSIS
quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaon [-g] [-u] [-v] -a quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] filesystem ... quotaoff [-g] [-u] [-v] -a DESCRIPTION
Quotaon announces to the system that disk quotas should be enabled on one or more filesystems. Quotaoff announces to the system that the specified filesystems should have disk quotas turned off. The filesystem must be mounted and it must have the appropriate mount option file located at its root, the .quota.ops.user file for user quota configuration, and the .quota.ops.group file for group quota configuration. Quotaon also expects each filesystem to have the appropriate quota data files located at its root, the .quota.user file for user data, and the .quota.group file for group data. These filenames and their root location cannot be overridden. By default, quotaon will attempt to enable both user and group quotas. By default, quotaoff will disable both user and group quotas. Available options: -a If the -a flag is supplied in place of any filesystem names, quotaon/quotaoff will enable/disable any filesystems with an existing mount option file at its root. The mount option file specifies the types of quotas that are to be configured. -g Only group quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.group, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -u Only user quotas will be enabled/disabled. The mount option file, .quota.ops.user, must exist at the root of the filesystem. -v Causes quotaon and quotaoff to print a message for each filesystem where quotas are turned on or off. Specifying both -g and -u is equivalent to the default. Quotas for both users and groups will automatically be turned on at filesystem mount if the appropriate mount option file and binary data file is in place at its root. FILES
Each of the following quota files is located at the root of the mounted filesystem. The mount option files are empty files whose existence indicates that quotas are to be enabled for that filesystem. .quota.user data file containing user quotas .quota.group data file containing group quotas .quota.ops.user mount option file used to enable user quotas .quota.ops.group mount option file used to enable group quotas SEE ALSO
quota(1), quotactl(2), edquota(8), quotacheck(8), repquota(8) HISTORY
The quotaon command appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution October 17, 2002 4.2 Berkeley Distribution