Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Last occurrence of a string Post 302891768 by Don Cragun on Friday 7th of March 2014 09:08:53 PM
Old 03-07-2014
A simple way to do things like this is with ed or ex. Your requirement to
Quote:
add "file was changed by $appid" to newline
could be interpreted several ways. Assuming that what you meant was to add a new line containing that text after the last line in the file containing SR2-13451, the following does that (and also adds a timestamp saying when the file was updated):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
file=${1:-file}
appid='J_ang_script'
ed -s "$file" <<EOF > /dev/null
        w $file.backup
        /pwddb=/s/\(pwddb=\)[^ ]*/\1PWDDB_Replacement/
        /pwdapp=/s/\(pwdapp=\)[^ ]*/\1PWDAPP_Replacement/
        ?SR2-134561?a
file was change by $appid $(date)
        w
        q
EOF

Note that it saves a backup copy of your file before making any changes.

If the file data.txt contains:
Code:
SR2-134561
pwddb=Lar1wod (need to replace string after =)
SR2-134561
pwdapp=Wde2xe 
SR2-134561
SR2-134561

then running the above script with:
Code:
./script_name data.txt

will save the original contents of data.txt in data.txt.backup and change the contents of data.txtto:
Code:
SR2-134561
pwddb=PWDDB_Replacement (need to replace string after =)
SR2-134561
pwdapp=PWDAPP_Replacement
SR2-134561
SR2-134561
file was change by J_ang_script Fri Mar  7 18:06:06 PST 2014

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace to first occurrence of string

Hi all, I have a very large; delimited file. In vi I would like to replace: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_3;#;A with: CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;Average... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilmord
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

last occurrence of a string across multiple files

Hello: Thank you for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: porphyrin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying only First Occurrence of a String

Hi, My requirement is that I should search for a particular string and display the string only once if there is more occurrence of the same string in a file. e.g In the given below log file,the string AMQ5037 comes twice.I want to search for this string and display it only once.grep will... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charudpss
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string

Hello Folks.. I need your help .. here the example of my problem..i know its easy..i don't all the commands in unix to do this especiallly sed...here my string.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj_vw_dec2_dfgh_dwq desired output is.. dwc2_dfg_ajja_dfhhj it's a simple task with tail... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Sed/awk print between patterns the first occurrence

Guys, I am trying the following: i have a log file of a webbap which logs in the following pattern: 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla bla 2011-08-14 21:10:04,535 blablabla ERROR blablabla bla bla bla ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppolianidis
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting occurrence of characters in a string

Hello, I have a string like this 0:1:2:0:2:2:4:0:0:0:-200:500...... what i want is to break down how many different characters are there and their count. For example for above string it should display 0 - 5 times 1 - 1 times 2 - 3 times 4 - 1 times . . . I am stuck in writing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: exit86
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Replace first occurrence after match

hey guys, i have been trying to work this thing out with sed with no luck :confused: i m looking for a way to replace only the first occurrence after a match for example : Cat Realized what you gotta do Dog Realized what you gotta do Sheep Realized what you gotta do Wolf Realized... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Awk: count occurrence of each character for every field

Hi, let's say an input looks like: A|C|C|D A|C|I|E A|B|I|C A|T|I|B as the title of the thread explains, I am trying to get something like: 1|A=4 2|C=2|B=1|T=1 3|I=3|C=1 4|D=1|E=1|C=1|B=1 i.e. a count of every character in each field (first column of output) independently, sorted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append a particular string after occurrence of particular string.

Hi Friends, Good morning. Appended a particular string after occurrence of particular string in a file. my file abc.sql as below create or replace function f1(p_cust_no IN VARCHAR) RETURN number IS DECLARE v_country country.customer_tbl%TYPE; begin begin select... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram0106
4 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)