Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Place the results of a CUT command into a variable Post 302891747 by Don Cragun on Friday 7th of March 2014 05:10:36 PM
Old 03-07-2014
Is this a homework assignment?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting the Results of a Command to a Variable

Hi, Hi, I run the command: hostname to get the host back from the server: db201 Now, I need to take that result and set it to a variable. Can anyone help me with this?? I need to be able to use the same script on multiple servers so I do not want to hardcode the hostname result into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stky13
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut Command value assign to variable

Hi, I am new to UNIX Scripting. I have been trying to use the CUT command to retrieve part of the header from a file and assign it to a variable. I have tried searching a lot, but I am still unsuccessful. Sample Header: HJAN BALANCE 20090616 I need to retrieve the date here, which always... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragz_82
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract and place in variable

If i wanted to extract the number of collisions from the eth0 section of the ifconfig file and have the output placed in a variable how would i do this? I can get the output displayed using: /sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep "collisions" What command would i now use to place the output in a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warlock129
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Place 'find' results within TeX command

Hi, In an effort to collect all my .java-files and place them in a LaTeXfile (using the listings environment of latex), i tried to use ex. So what i have now is: find . -name "*\.java" > latex ex latex <<HERE %s/\(.*\)/\\lstinputlisting{\1} wq HERE So i try to escape the '\' with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HannesBBR
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut text file in place

I have a file that i want to take only the first part of it and discard the rest, to be accurate,I need the first 137097 lines but I cant use split because I dont have enough space on my disck. I need sth to cut the file in its place (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Heidi Heweidy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and cut command in variable

hi, i want to remove 12 and 13 column from psv files and dump them in new folder ls -ltr *GTDA_Dly_Pmix_*.psv>filename.xls var1=`cat filename.xls` for i in $var1 do var3=`echo "$i" |cut -d '|' -f12,13 |sort -u` sed -e 's/"|$var3"//g... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renuk
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in a variable and using cut/awk

Hi, My aim is to get the md5 hash of a file and store it in a variable. var1="md5sum file1" $var1 The above outputs fine but also contains the filename, so somthing like this 243ASsf25 file1 i just need to get the first part and put it into a variable. var1="md5sum file1"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustALol
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Results of ldapsearch piped to grep are cut off

ldapsearch -x -LLL -E pr=200/noprompt -h abc-loc.somecompany.com -D "account@somecompany.com" -w password -b "cn=groupname,ou=Resource,ou=groups,dc=abc,dc=somecompany,dc=com" | grep member Results are: member: CN=Hanson\, Joe,OU=End Users,OU=Accounts,DC=abc,DC=somecompany,DC=com member:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: who10
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use cut output as variable piped awk command

Hi, I would like use the output of my cut command as a variable in my following awk command. Here's what I've written. cut -f1 info.txt | awk -v i=xargs -F'' '{if($6 == $i) print $20}' summary.txt Where obviously the 'xargs' doesn't do what I want. How can I pass my cut result to my awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heyooo
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to add a variable for the results from the formula of one variable and results of another var

Good morning all, This is the file name in question OD_Orders_2019-02-19.csv I am trying to create a bash script to read into files with yesterdays date on the file name while retaining the rest of the files name. I would like for $y to equal, the name of the file with a formula output with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibrahim A
2 Replies
emacs(1)						      General Commands Manual							  emacs(1)

NAME
emacs, xemacs - emacs editor DESCRIPTION
The emacs software is unsupported software that is provided as part of Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will fix problems in this unsupported software only if they are specific to Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not fix problems that are integral to the software itself or that occur when the com- ponent is used on UNIX systems other than Tru64 UNIX. Compaq will not add functionality to this software. Except for this reference page, other reference pages that Tru64 UNIX supplies for emacs are passed through without changes. The reference pages distributed as part of this software are available in the directories /usr/share/doclib/annex/man/man[1-9]. You should use this directory stem in the man command or add it to the MANPATH environment variable to make these files available to the man command. Note Compaq is not responsible for the content or quality of reference pages and other documents installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory and does not revise this material in response to customer problem reports. Reference pages installed under the /usr/share/doclib/annex/man directory are not available from Compaq in book form; for example, they are not included in the reference manu- als that you receive when you order the Tru64 UNIX documentation set as hard copy books. Problems related to the content or quality of any documentation installed in the /usr/share/doclib/annex directory tree should be sent to the developers of the documentation. The format for changing the search path with the man command is: man -P /usr/share/doclib/annex/man [section] title... If you are using the Bourne, Korn, or POSIX shells, use the following command sequence to modify your environment: MANPATH=$MAN- PATH:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man export MANPATH If you are using the C shell, enter the command: setenv MANPATH `echo $MANPATH`:/usr/share/doclib/annex/man See the reference pages for the man(1) command for additional information on the search path used to locate files. The reference pages associated with this product are not included in the whatis data base created by the catman command. Therefore, the man -k and apropos commands will not locate reference pages included with this product. SEE ALSO
Commands: apropos(1), catman(8), man(1) emacs(1)