Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat [Solved] I am not able to hear any sound from CentOS 5.9 Post 302891734 by Perderabo on Friday 7th of March 2014 01:55:04 PM
Old 03-07-2014
We have a bunch of Dell Optiplex 980's that are running RedHat 5.1. The sound was not working and I had to get it working. According to my notes what I did was:

Step 1 is to Upgrade the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) subsystem by installing the following packages:
Code:
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el5.i386.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-lib-devel-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps alsa-utils-1.0.24.2-24.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps libasound2-1.0.24.1-35.el5.x86_64.rpm

Step 2 is to upgrade the kernel:
Code:
rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64.rpm
rpm -Uvh kernel-devel-2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.x86_64.rpm

Step 3 is to reinstall the NVIDIA video driver which the new kernel just overlaid:
Code:
/bin/sh /tmp/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-270.41.19.run -a --ui=none -X -q -z

Run alsamixer and ensure that the volumes are up and unmuted. You can test the sound with: speaker-test -l10 -c6 -twav

This exact procedure probably won't help you. But it might give you an idea where to start.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help is Hear

i made a program called Unix Unlocked for mac osx networks / home computers safe yes you can get it at my site www.geocities.com/huntermadison2002/unix.html :) you can sen me new bits of coad that i will try to run on it at my forms (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepicoman
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

How to Upgrade Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image on Vmware workstation

Dear Linux Experts, On my windows 7 desktop with the help of Vmware workstation (Version 7.1), created virtual machine and installed Centos 5.7 successfully using ISO image. Query : Is this possible to upgrade the Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image to Centos version 5.8?.. if yes kindly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthcn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Solved] Cannot install KVM guest on CentOS/RedHat

Hi, I've a CentOS Server and I need to create KVM guest machine without X. /usr/sbin/virt-install --name server1 --ram 4000 --vcpus=8 --file=/srv/virtual/server1.img --file-size=20 --cdrom /tmp/server1.iso --mac=52:54:00:fd:48:7c The iso was created with cobbler... So, now the machine is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiddenshadow
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] ls -l in CentOS 6.4 after upload using sftp

Hi everyone, Something rather interesting just happened to me. I uploaded a file to a server through sftp. I closed the connection and then logged on to the server via ssh. So far so good. When I typed ls -l in the remote server to retrieve a directory listing, the file that was previously... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
2 Replies
RPMDB(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  RPMDB(8)

NAME
rpmdb - RPM Database Tool SYNOPSIS
rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} DESCRIPTION
The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root DIRECTORY] Use --initdb to create a new database if one doesn't already exist (existing database is not overwritten), use --rebuilddb to rebuild the database indices from the installed package headers. SEE ALSO
popt(3), rpm(8), rpmkeys(8), rpmsign(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmbuild(8), rpmspec(8), rpm --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc 29 June 2010 RPMDB(8)