Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remote login and running a script on multiple servers Post 302891453 by weddy on Wednesday 5th of March 2014 10:56:07 PM
Old 03-05-2014
Hi Don,
What we are trying to create is a master script to run other scripts in the back ground on different machines.

to answer your questions
Code:
$host

are the host names of the 3 machines ws1 ws2 ws3. and
Code:
$process.sh

is the script name located on the NIS server which is the 4th machine making the initial call script. So all machines can see and access the script and its not written on each machine saving up needed space.

hope that answered the questions: now I have got some interesting results with the code for rsh

host names are config with Csh which is stty not supported for transit. (not sure what I just said but hope it helps)
and i have a ambiguous output redirect.

IE @Don you mentioned the direct to the null. Short answer is we don't care what the output is from the call, the script outputs to a different files those files are what we are after. But I think your right about having it directed to that null.

The rsh call stops and on the ws4 and creates a PID and waits until never (endless loop in script tracking memory) have to suspend and kill pid to stop it. again its not the problem but it stopping in the master script is.

any ideas I can research in to please throw them at me too. Thanks OJT scripting got to love it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into multiple servers thru script...

I need to login into multiple servers thru a script run couple commands and run find command as root. I only have ssh access to the servers as a user than I can "su" to root. If you have a similar script please post it. Also if you can suggest commands that I should consider please let me know. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

login into multiple servers through script is having some problem

Hi Everybody, I am bit new to shell scripting. I need some help in my script. I have to login into 15 servers and check some logs daily. For that I've written one shell script, somewhere it is having some problems. After log into the first server, the script is not going with the next steps.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.iv85
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the same remote script on multiple servers

Experts, Im trying to remote into a server, run a script that resides on that server and capture the information displayed & store in a local file. I struggled with this yesterday & finally that script is working now. Now, here is a scope creep and the script that I wrote for 1 remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: OMLEELA
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prevent wrong user from using shell script for multiple remote servers

Hi, I am running a shell script from a central server to multiple remote servers using the following code: application_check() { # Linux/UNIX box with ssh key based login SERVERS=`cat /tmp/server-details` # SSH User name USR="user" # create new file > /tmp/abc.log # connect... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mystition
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on multiple remote hosts at once

I have a script on about 15 hosts that I need to run for each host whenever I want (not crontab). Problem is, this script takes 5-10 mins to run for each host. Is there a way I can run the script in parallel for all the hosts instead of 1 at a time? Also, I'm remotely running the script on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Remote execution of a local script on multiple servers

So I have a scriptlet called solaris_command: for i in \ server1 server2 server3 do echo $i ssh $i $1 echo "" done I then use that as a command in multiple scripts to allow for data gathering for all virtual hosts in the environment thusly: solaris_command "cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l"

I need a shell script using expect to login to couple of remote servers and read "crontab -l -u <username>" & "cat /etc/rc.local" & "df -h" and able to create output into a file saved locally with hostname.crontab & hostname.rc.local & disk.status. I can supply a file as list of hostname or IP... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaipsharma
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running set of commands in remote servers in shell script

Hi Wishing to all. I am very new joined in an organization as a unix system administrator. I need a help in preparing a script for a report. i have a file contains all of the linux/ubuntu servers line by line around 140 servers. vi servers.txt nh01 nh02 nh03 bh01 bh04 - - :wq (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumaraswamy
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error running grep on Remote Servers

Im running the below command sshpass -p mypassword ssh -t user1@server2 /bin/bash -c 'echo "mypassword" | sudo -S -l; echo "$?#`grep -iE "user66|dbuser|tomcat|splunk|stash|jira|user2|docadmin" /etc/passwd`"; exit' Below is the error I get: Output: I run this command across a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD