Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert date/time header at top of file Post 302890992 by kramer65 on Monday 3rd of March 2014 03:25:53 AM
Old 03-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SriniShoo
use double quotes instead of single quotes in sed
Code:
sed -i "1s/^/********** $(date) **********\n\n/" $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME

Thanks. Yep of course 5 min after I post the question I come across the answer.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Time and Date Stamp

I have a directory with following files in it ABC.000.DAT ABC.001.DAT ABC.002.DAT ABC.003.DAT I want to insert time and date stamp in file names like ABC.000.YYYYMMDDHHMM.DAT I able to insert the time and date stamp at the end of filename Kindly help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert date/time within a filename

Hi Guys, I need to script the renaming of files as followins: files: firstjd secondjo thirdjv My script needs to insert the date/time infront of the last 2 characters of the filenames above, any ideas greatly received :) the letters before the last 2 characters could change, I'm only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooperman
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi?

when directing some text into a file can you choose where it goes like the top of the file (which is text aswell) or the middle?? if so how - especially would like to know how to do so in vi (text editor) If i were to enter an argument ($1) into a another argument ($2) would it would be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rprules
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processing a log file based on date/time input and the date/time on the log file

Hi, I'm trying to accomplish the following and would like some suggestions or possible bash script examples that may work I have a directory that has a list of log files that's periodically dumped from a script that is crontab that are rotated 4 generations. There will be a time stamp that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: primp
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert a header in a huge data file without using an intermediate file

I have a file with data extracted, and need to insert a header with a constant string, say: H|PayerDataExtract if i use sed, i have to redirect the output to a seperate file like sed ' sed commands' ExtractDataFile.dat > ExtractDataFileWithHeader.dat the same is true for awk and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepaktanna
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time in reoccurring blocks of lines

Hi folks, I have a little problem, that is kinda bugging me :( ... I have a logfile, that looks kinda "crippled" in the raw format ... So far, I've managed, to get it in a format like this: PRI_PTA01,2W,30,30,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whizzler
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)