Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to trim the file names?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to trim the file names? Post 302890745 by Corona688 on Friday 28th of February 2014 10:54:35 AM
Old 02-28-2014
Code:
ls | grep "\.filepart$" | while read FILENAME
do
        echo mv "$FILENAME" "${FILENAME/.filepart/}"
done

Remove the 'echo' once you're sure it does what you want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

trim file name extension????

Dear Chaps, What will I do if, I am not sure about the length of the file name, but only one thing that I want to remove only the last extension. e.g. abcdXXXXXX.pqrXXXXX.asc (X is any character) I want to trim only .asc (or,watever) so that resultant file name would be like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_ranjan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trim file

Hi, I have a 6G log , which is unusual to read and I want to minimize it by removing some part on the upper portion( around 4GB). what should i do? can you please help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tungaw2004
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim spaces in a file

Hi, I'm new to shell programming. Need some help in the following requirement: I have a file origFile.txt with values: origFile.txt .00~ 145416.02~ xyz~ ram kishor .35~ 765.76~ anh reid~ kishna kerry Now each row in the file has value for 4 columns with "~" as... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: badrimohanty
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim pathname of the file

I am capturing the files in a directory to an array. I have 2 arrays with list of files in two different directories. Both the directories are supposed to have the same number of files and filenames. I want to check that the same file exists in both the directories. After I capture the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sangtha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

right trim at end of file

Hi, I'have a file as below I need to replace the comma at the end of the file into ) as below Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dvah
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

right trim at end of file

Hi, I'have a file as below I need to replace the comma at the end of the file into ) as below Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trim file using filename

I want to remove first xx letters from filename_xx . How is that possible using linux. I have many files where xx could be same in many but filename is always unique. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keysoon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim a file columnwise

Hi All, I want to trim each columns leading & trailing (like sql trim function) of a ',' separated file.. I've a file like this.. manab , c gi lucky , home babu , maa I want the output as manab,c gi lucky,home babu,maa A one liner would be a great help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manab86
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exclude certain file names while selectingData files coming in different names in a file name called

Data files coming in different names in a file name called process.txt. 1. shipments_yyyymmdd.gz 2 Order_yyyymmdd.gz 3. Invoice_yyyymmdd.gz 4. globalorder_yyyymmdd.gz The process needs to discard all the below files and only process two of the 4 file names available ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravanam
1 Replies
INFO(1) 							   User Commands							   INFO(1)

NAME
info - read Info documents SYNOPSIS
info [OPTION]... [MENU-ITEM...] DESCRIPTION
Read documentation in Info format. OPTIONS
--apropos=STRING look up STRING in all indices of all manuals. -d, --directory=DIR add DIR to INFOPATH. --dribble=FILENAME remember user keystrokes in FILENAME. -f, --file=FILENAME specify Info file to visit. -h, --help display this help and exit. --index-search=STRING go to node pointed by index entry STRING. -n, --node=NODENAME specify nodes in first visited Info file. -o, --output=FILENAME output selected nodes to FILENAME. -R, --raw-escapes don't remove ANSI escapes from man pages. --restore=FILENAME read initial keystrokes from FILENAME. -O, --show-options, --usage go to command-line options node. --subnodes recursively output menu items. --vi-keys use vi-like and less-like key bindings. --version display version information and exit. The first non-option argument, if present, is the menu entry to start from; it is searched for in all `dir' files along INFOPATH. If it is not present, info merges all `dir' files and shows the result. Any remaining arguments are treated as the names of menu items relative to the initial node visited. EXAMPLES
info show top-level dir menu info emacs start at emacs node from top-level dir info emacs buffers start at buffers node within emacs manual info --show-options emacs start at node with emacs' command line options info -f ./foo.info show file ./foo.info, not searching dir REPORTING BUGS
Email bug reports to bug-texinfo@gnu.org, general questions and discussion to help-texinfo@gnu.org. Texinfo home page: http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. There is NO warranty. You may redistribute this software under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING. info 4.3 November 2002 INFO(1)