Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Paste files of varying lengths Post 302890561 by alister on Thursday 27th of February 2014 11:55:12 AM
Old 02-27-2014
I advise you to use code tags, because both of your samples appear identical without them. Also, you probably made a mistake and typed 678 in place of 789 at some point.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting a varying amount of lines from a list of files

I did search the posts for info on this and while there were some in the ballpark, none addressed this specifically. (also I tried to post this once it said I was logged out, so hopefully I'm not sending a duplicate here). I have a set of files (250 +/-) where I need to delete the first "$x"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: benair
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want

Need a Help with paste 2 files since the output is not what i want ie: i have 2 files pwd /home/pavargaz/alejo/scan01/nokia/2006/abril/bavaria/chu0 $ cat filechu chu0 dia Cantidad 01 257 02 262 03 260 04 58 $pwd ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste 2 files ( it is possible???)

Hello all, I have two files: file1: data1 data2 data3 data4 data5 data6 data7 data8 data9 file2: reference I need to paste both files with the following output: data1 data2 data3 reference data4 data5 data6 reference data7 data8 data9 reference I tried using the paste... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mig28mx
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste several files

Hi everybody: I tried to paste several files which have the same pattern name file like this: down_s1.dat, down_s2.dat, down_s3.dat, down_s4.dat ... down_s10.dat So I have tried to do it as: paste down_s.dat > final.dat But it does not work correctly. Any suggestion. Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tonet
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

paste more than 12 files together

Hi, 1. How can I get around the issue with pasting more than 12 files together? 2. paste file1 file2 > file3........how can I do this with awk?? Thanks! (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste the files

Dear All, I have thousands of files (consists of one column each) and i need to paste all the columns in a single file as follows: I have files - file1, file2, file3, .......file2000. I need to paste all the files in a single file of separate columns as shown below: file1 file2 file3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fredrick
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging data from 2 files of different lengths?

Hi all, Sorry if someone has answered something like this already, but I have a problem. I am not brilliant with "awk" but think it should be the command to use to get what I am after. I have 2 files: job-file (several hundred lines like): 1018003,LONG MU WAN,1113S 1018004,LONG MU... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgb2301
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

paste mutiple files in a loop

file1.txt file2.txt file3.txt desired output is each file is in the same directory, hasthe same number of columns but different rows. i want to be able to paste them into one file. thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge two files with different lengths

Hi there, I have two very long files like: file1: two fields 1 123 1 125 1 234 2 123 2 234 2 300 2 312 3 10 3 215 4 56 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ClaraW
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to paste multiple files in parallel?

Hi all, I am trying to paste thousands of files together into a matrix. Each file has only 1 column and all the files have the same number of rows (~27k rows). I tried paste * > output as well as some other for loops but the output only contains the columns from the 1st and last files. The... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: notimenocall
8 Replies
tbl(1)							      General Commands Manual							    tbl(1)

Name
       tbl - format tables for nroff or *roff

Syntax
       tbl [files...]

Description
       The  preprocessor  is used for formatting tables for or The input files are copied to the standard output, except for lines between .TS and
       .TE command lines, which are assumed to describe tables and are reformatted.

Options
       -TX     Produces output without fractional line motions.  Use when the destination output device or printer or  post-filter  cannot  handle
	       fractional line motions.

-ms     Reads in macros prior to table formatting.

-mm     Reads in the macros prior to table formatting, if your system has the macros installed.

Examples
       As an example, letting 	 represent a tab (which should be typed as a genuine tab) the input

.TS
	      c s s
	      c c s
	      c c c
	      l n n.
	      Household Population
	      Town	Households
	      	Number	Size
	      Bedminster	789	3.26
	      Bernards Twp.	3087	3.74
	      Bernardsville	2018	3.30
	      Bound Brook	3425	3.04
	      Branchburg	1644	3.49
	      Bridgewater	7897	3.81
	      Far Hills	240	3.19
	      .TE

yields

Household Population
		  Town	       Households
			      Number   Size
	      Bedminster	789    3.26
	      Bernards Twp.    3087    3.74
	      Bernardsville    2018    3.30
	      Bound Brook      3425    3.04
	      Branchburg       1644    3.49
	      Bridgewater      7897    3.81
	      Far Hills 	240    3.19

If  no  arguments are given, reads the standard input, so it may be used as a filter.  When is used with or the command should be first, to
       minimize the volume of data passed through pipes.

See Also
       nroff(1)
       "Tbl - A Program to Format Tables," ULTRIX Supplementary Documents, Vol. I:General User

tbl(1)