Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell script/awk to sort text Post 302890208 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 25th of February 2014 05:09:46 PM
Old 02-25-2014
For example. Here sort is called as an external program from within awk
Code:
awk '{print | "sort"}' file

Here the output of awk is ran through sort through a pipeline..
Code:
awk '{print}' file | sort

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sort with awk script

I have a file with four fields and an awk script that strips out one field displaying the remaining three. I have added headings for each of these fields such as Player - Year - RBIs then below it comes the data. What I am trying to do is sort the RBIs field in my script from most to least at the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Trellot
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to use sort command in Shell Script

Hello All, I am creating a shell script that reads a file(test.txt) with the following data, 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.0 10.10.10.1 10.10.10.10 10.10.10.2 10.10.10.3 10.10.10.4 10.10.10.5 10.10.10.6 10.10.10.7 10.10.10.8 10.10.10.9 If I use the sort, the highest value I am getting is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: racbern
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Proccessing with sort,uniq,awk

Hello, I have a log file with the following input: X , ID , Date, Time, Y 01,01368,2010-12-02,09:07:00,Pass 01,01368,2010-12-02,10:54:00,Pass 01,01368,2010-12-02,13:07:04,Pass 01,01368,2010-12-02,18:54:01,Pass 01,01368,2010-12-03,09:02:00,Pass 01,01368,2010-12-03,13:53:00,Pass... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rollyah
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to sort information in one file

Hi to all, anyway to create shell script to sort informations from one file and create new file with the sorted values? from file 30days.out -bash-3.00# more 30days.out user/str4@kl.com/INBOX user/tg1@johor.com/INBOX user/tg2@kedah.com/INBOX user/tg3@titangroup.com/INBOX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_47
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK/Shell script for reading text file

Hello, I have a text file which has list of SQL Commands, from where I have grepped the lines where there is a specific string: grep <string> <file1> >> <file2> A sample of the file2 is: INSERT INTO PS_PWC_SP_ERN_DATA SELECT A.EMPLID ,B.COMPANY ,B.PAYGROUP , B.OTH_PAY FROM... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suddhasatwa_bha
7 Replies

6. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort the timestamp in the filename in shell script?

originally the shellscript #ln_file_name=`echo $ld_interface_date"_"${8}".csv"` #ln_file_name=`echo 201202011527_HL_HLTM1_B04A.csv` ln_file_name="*"`echo ${7}".csv"` get_file_list_1=$log_path"tm1_file_list.gfl1" cd ${source_path} echo "Try to find any file exist in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilhk
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating new users using a text file as imput (using only shell script and/or awk)

I need somebody who could help with an exercise. You have a text file called users.txt with this info inside: users.txt: user1:1234:/home/homedir1 ; user2:1234:/home/homedir2 ; user3:1234:/home/homedir3 ; user4:1234:/home/homedir4 ; The script should create an user using the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcosruiz
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort a content of a text file using a shell script?

I am new to shell scripting. I am interested how to know how to sort a content of a file using shell scripting. I've attached the 'Input file' and the 'expected output' to this thread. Details provided in the expected output file will provide details on how the sort needs to be done. ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkarthik_mnnit
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script to call and sort awk script and output

I'm trying to create a shell script that takes a awk script that I wrote and a filename as an argument. I was able to get that done but I'm having trouble figuring out how to keep the header of the output at the top but sort the rest of the rows alphabetically. This is what I have now but it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
DPKG-AWK(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-AWK(1)

NAME
dpkg-awk - Utility to read a dpkg style db file SYNOPSIS
dpkg-awk [(-f|--file) filename] [(-d|--debug) ##] [(-s|--sort) list] [(-rs|--rec_sep) ??] '<fieldname>:<regex>' ... -- <out_fieldname> .. DESCRIPTION
dpkg-awk Parses a dpkg status file (or other similarly formatted file) and outputs the resulting records. It can use regex on the field values to limit the returned records, it can also be told which fields to output, and it can sort the matched fields. OPTIONS
-f filename --file filename The file to parse. The default is /var/lib/dpkg/status. -d [#] --debug [#] Each time this is specified, it increased the debug level. -s field(s) --sort field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields to sort on. -n field(s) --numeric field(s) A space or comma separated list of fields that should be interpreted as numeric in value. -rs ?? --rec_sep ?? Output this string at the end of each output paragraph. -h --help Display some help. fieldname The fields from the file, that are matched with the regex given. The fieldnames are case insensitive. out_fieldname The fields from the file, that are output for each record. If the first field listed begins with ^, then the list of fields that follows will NOT be output. BUGS
Be warned that the author has only a shallow understanding of the dpkg packaging system, so there are probably tons of bugs in this pro- gram. This program comes with no warranties. If running this program causes fire and brimstone to rain down upon the earth, you will be on your own. This program accesses the dpkg database directly in places, querying for data that cannot be gotten via dpkg. AUTHOR
Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> DEBIAN
Debian Utilities DPKG-AWK(1)