Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Solved] Modifying/Removing Timestamps from a filename Post 302889685 by Don Cragun on Sunday 23rd of February 2014 03:07:57 AM
Old 02-23-2014
Perhaps the following examples will help:
Code:
#!/bin/ksh
for infile in test_DD-MM-YY.txt coolbeans_DD-MM-YY.pdf
do      printf "infile:\t\t%s\n" "$infile"
        # Following will work with recent bash and ksh:
        outfile=${infile/_????????/}
        printf "outfile:\t%s\n" "$outfile"
        # Following will work with any POSIX conforming shell:
        Poutfile=${infile%_*}.${infile#*.}
        printf "POSIX outfile:\t%s\n\n" "$Poutfile"
done

which produces the output:
Code:
infile:		test_DD-MM-YY.txt
outfile:	test.txt
POSIX outfile:	test.txt

infile:		coolbeans_DD-MM-YY.pdf
outfile:	coolbeans.pdf
POSIX outfile:	coolbeans.pdf

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort files by Date-timestamps available in filename & pick the sortedfiles one by one

Hi, I am new to Unix shell scripting. Can you please help me with this immediate requirement to code.. The requirement is as given below. In a directory say Y, I have files like this. PP_100000_28062006_122731_746.dat PP_100000_28062006_122731_745.dat PP_100000_28062006_122734_745.dat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chindhu
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Removing extra characters in Filename

Hi, It's my first time here... anyways, I have a simple problem with these filenames. This is probably too easy for you guys: ABC_20101.2A.2010_01 ABD_20103.2E.2010_04 ABE_20107.2R.2010_08 Expected Output: ABC_20101 ABD_20103 ABE_20107 The only pattern available are the ff: 1) All... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joule
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing the trailing date from a filename

Hi I have 3 files (say) in a folder as in the example below abc_01012011.csv def_01012011.csv xyz_01012011.csv I need to move these files to a different folder as follows abc.csv def.csv xyz.csv I am trying to put together a script with a for loop which reads the source filenames... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobsn
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using, modifying and reporting on timestamps to track changes in a filesystem

So, I have a filesystem with an ever growing number of files in it. Multiple users are able to drop new files into this area and I need to know what's changed (a granularity of month by month is ok, more accurately would be better). There are however a few issues, I can't just use the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeeGee
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a range of characters in a filename

hi, I have quite a bunch of files with annoyingly long filenames. I wanted to cut the range of characters from 9-18 and just retain the first 8 characters and the .extension. any suggestion how to do it. thanks much. original filename: 20000105_20000105_20100503.nc.asc output filename:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Paste with filename

Hi all, please help, I have several folders in a directory that have the same set of files (content different but names same). I want to use the paste command to merge the 5th column of all files named xyz from all directories with the directory name as col header. for dir in * do && paste... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gina.lizar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with modifying a filename

Hello, I have a filename that looks like this: ABC_96_20141031_041133.232468 I need to shorten only the "_2014" part of the filename to simply "_14" so the filename looks like: ABC_96_141031_041133.232468 I have to do a search for this string because there are hundreds of files and... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate sequences and modifying a text file

Hi. I've tried several different programs to try and solve this problem, but none of them seem to have done exactly what I want (and I need the file in a very specific format). I have a large file of DNA sequences in a multifasta file like this, with around 15 000 genes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
2 Replies
MAKE_SOCKSFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)

NAME
make_socksfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS clients SYNOPSIS
make_socksfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_socksfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS clients and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/socks.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/socks.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS client programs since they no longer have to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS client starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/socks.fc first . If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/socks.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_socksfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS clients will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_socksfc. FILES
/etc/socks.fc, /etc/socks.conf SEE ALSO
dump_socksfc(8), socks.conf(5), socks.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)