Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX New to AIX need help Installing/Upgrading Samba on AIX 7.1? Post 302889097 by c3rb3rus on Tuesday 18th of February 2014 11:24:44 PM
Old 02-19-2014
I finally got it installed using my original method.. thank you bakunin your pointers were useful in making it a success, especially dealing with the many dependencies from perzl.org.

The problem was with my AIX OS, I accidently copied the content of /etc from another machine to this box and things like the ODM and other various errors were popping all over the place.

It was good practice as I've never installed AIX, pretty trivial with preserve mode to only re-install rootvg.

Now I am battling samba 3.6.22, when I try to start winbindd, smbd and nmbd I get..

Code:
Could not fetch our SID - did we join?

So my first though was to join the AIX server to AD, but it is not working..

Code:
ads_connect: no logon servers
Join to domain is not valid: no logon servers

My /etc/krb5/krb5.conf is setup correctly pretty sure as I can kinit and get a ticket and also login via SSH using AD account (sshd_config set to use Kerberos as well)..

So why I am getting the above error is beyond me right now..

I also tired..

Code:
net rpc testjoin
Unable to find a suitable server for domain WORKGROUP
Join to domain 'WORKGROUP' is not valid: NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

My domain is not WORKGROUP, so confused where its getting that from?

In smb.conf I got..

Code:
workgroup = MYDOMAIN
realm = FQDN
netbios name = my-aix-hostname

More troubleshooting, this time with smbclient..

smbclient -U AD-USER-ID -L DC-IP

I am able to get list of shares on the WIN2008R2 box, however at the bottom I also see..

Code:
session request to 172.16.4.2 failed (called name not present)
session request to 172 failed (called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (called name not present)
NetBIOS over TCP disabled -- no workgroup available

Last edited by c3rb3rus; 02-19-2014 at 12:35 AM.. Reason: mentions

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Upgrading AIX Unix

Hi all, I've got a question about an OS upgrade. I'm planning to do a upgrade from AIX UNIX 4.3.2 to 4.3.3 in a few weeks. I haven't got that much information. Could someone give me some general tips or hints, things I should think of before? Things I should know, or general errors. I know... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erik Rooijmans
9 Replies

2. AIX

Installing Samba on AIX 5.3

Hello, I need assistance installing Samba on AIX 5.3 TL06. Smitty Install produces the following error message: Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. geninstall -I "a -cgNQqwXY -J" -Z -d... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgray71
5 Replies

3. AIX

Using SAMBA in AIX 5.3

Please help, I'm wicked... :confused: I'm trying to get Samba to work on an IBM pseries machine (AIX 5.3) to provide access to the server for a user to retrieve reports from her WinXP desktop. I've made the proper entires in the smb.conf file and tried runing the smbpasswd command to add the user... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trandall
4 Replies

4. AIX

Upgrading AIX 5.2 to AIX 6.1 - GCC compatibility

Hi All, We are in the processing of upgrading our AIX server OS from 5.2.0.0 to 6.1. And we have a set of highly critical running C applications in AIX box. I have a question like whether this upgradation of OS will affect any C code compilation and C runtime enviornment... how does AIX 6.1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikc
1 Replies

5. AIX

Upgrading AIX from 5.3 to 6.1

Hi, I am having 2 Hard disk one for os and another for data,I would like to know for Upgrading AIX 5.3 to 6.1,wheather I have to varry off datavg while upgrading, or any other files needs to be backup. Please suggest Regards, Manoj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

6. AIX

Upgrading from native MPIO to SDDPCM AIX 6.1

We have AIX 6.1 system attached to SAN disks (DS4700 and DS8100) thru SVC. Initially when the system was I forgot to install sddpcm drivers. and wanted to know how can i go with the installation of the sddpcm drivers. My understandin going thru the manual ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

7. AIX

Upgrading from aix 5.3 to ?

Hey guys, since AIX 5.3 reaches EOS on april 2012, I really need to update my systems asap. Any experience on upgrading directly to 7.1, with sap/db2/oracle? could do fresh installs and import my sap/db vgs, but this would be a lot of work cheers Funksen (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: funksen
4 Replies

8. AIX

Regarding Upgrading RAM in AIX 6.1

Hi Folks, Currently we are having the below configuration in one of our AIX 6.1 server. RAM:- 8 GB Paging space :- 19 GB CPU processor:- 1 CPU type: 64 bit But we would like to upgrade the configuration to below to improve the system performance and resolve some memory issues. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanmca2006
11 Replies

9. AIX

Upgrading to AIX 7 vs migrating

Hi all, I have this weird notion that upgrading the TL does not cause the machine to wipe, but upgrading a major version (from aix 6 to 7) means it's actually a fresh install and will wipe the date and i have to install the software again (TSM server, for instance). Trying to google it, i came... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tde3000
3 Replies

10. AIX

Samba 3.6 on AIX 7.1 - Windows 10 Access to AIX file shares using Active Directory authentication

I am running AIX 7.1 and currently we have samba 3.6.25 installed on the server. As it stands some AIX folders are shared that can be accessed by certain Windows users. The problem is that since Windows 10 the guest feature no longer works so users have to manually type in their Windows login/pwd... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxsnake
14 Replies
SMBCONTROL(1)															     SMBCONTROL(1)

NAME
smbcontrol - send messages to smbd, nmbd or winbindd processes SYNOPSIS
smbcontrol [ -d <debug level> ] [ -s <smb config file> ] -i smbcontrol [ -d <debug level> ] [ -s <smb config file> ] destination message-type [ parameter ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. smbcontrol is a very small program, which sends messages to an smbd(8) an nmbd(8) or a winbindd(8) daemon running on the system. OPTIONS
-d <debuglevel> debuglevel is an integer from 0 to 10. -s <smb.conf> This parameter specifies the pathname to the Samba configuration file, smb.conf(5) This file controls all aspects of the Samba set- up on the machine. -i Run interactively. Individual commands of the form destination message-type parameters can be entered on STDIN. An empty command line or a "q" will quit the program. destination One of nmbd smbd or a process ID. The smbd destination causes the message to "broadcast" to all smbd daemons. The nmbd destination causes the message to be sent to the nmbd daemon specified in the nmbd.pid file. If a single process ID is given, the message is sent to only that process. message-type One of: close-share, debug, force-election, ping , profile, debuglevel, profilelevel, or printer-notify. The close-share message-type sends a message to smbd which will then close the client connections to the named share. Note that this doesn't affect client connections to any other shares. This message-type takes an argument of the share name for which client con- nections will be closed, or the "*" character which will close all currently open shares. This may be useful if you made changes to the access controls on the share. This message can only be sent to smbd. The debug message-type allows the debug level to be set to the value specified by the parameter. This can be sent to any of the des- tinations. The force-election message-type can only be sent to the nmbd destination. This message causes the nmbd daemon to force a new browse master election. The ping message-type sends the number of "ping" messages specified by the parameter and waits for the same number of reply "pong" messages. This can be sent to any of the destinations. The profile message-type sends a message to an smbd to change the profile settings based on the parameter. The parameter can be "on" to turn on profile stats collection, "off" to turn off profile stats collection, "count" to enable only collection of count stats (time stats are disabled), and "flush" to zero the current profile stats. This can be sent to any smbd or nmbd destinations. The debuglevel message-type sends a "request debug level" message. The current debug level setting is returned by a "debuglevel" message. This can be sent to any of the destinations. The profilelevel message-type sends a "request profile level" message. The current profile level setting is returned by a "pro- filelevel" message. This can be sent to any smbd or nmbd destinations. The printer-notify message-type sends a message to smbd which in turn sends a printer notify message to any Windows NT clients con- nected to a printer. This message-type takes an argument of the printer name to send notify messages to. This message can only be sent to smbd. parameters any parameters required for the message-type VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8) and smbd(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/ <URL:ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/>) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 SMBCONTROL(1)