Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Understanding the concept behind subshells Post 302888850 by RudiC on Monday 17th of February 2014 05:51:58 PM
Old 02-17-2014
Posting your /etc/passwd here wouldn't be a good idea.
Using several grep processes to read some fields from it is no good idea either. And assigning fields to enumerated variables can exceed the number of variables if you don't exactly know how many data lines you are going to read. Grepping for 5000 just along the line may not be specific enough; unwanted fields may fulfill this condition and give false hits.
Why don't you try sth like
Code:
while IFS=: read UN X UID GID USER REST; do echo Username: $UN, $UID, $USER; done </etc/passwd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing parent shells from subshells (KSH)

Hi all, I have a shell script which calls other shell scripts, depending on the input. Within a.sh, I have a command which calls b.sh (ie. ksh b.sh) Normally, we use the exit function to terminate a shell. However, if I choose to call exit from b.sh, I will return to the parent shell who... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

semaphore concept

Hi All, I am going through the semaphore concept and have a doubt regarding the same and hope to get a resolution here. I have a file which has a number of records. I want to write an application (in C) which will be able to do concurrent read/write on these records. Of what I have... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverix
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The Concept of thread

Hi all This is my first thread here.i confused with the concept of thread.Can anyone tell me this concept in detail.my Quation may be at primary level. Thanx in advance for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question regarding shells and subshells when a script is run

I have the following script running with nohup on one of my servers: #!/bin/bash #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #set log number #i=1 #\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ #Check if log exits, if so incrememnt log number up so we don't clobber #while... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identifying the commands creating subshells

Hi all, This is the basic question. I have read many books which advised to avoid creating sub shells. e.g: use wc -l<filename rather than using cat file|wc -l. So, how to identify whether a command creates subshell or not? so,is it better to use tail -n+1 file in stead of using cat.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Looping concept please help

Hi Gurus, Please help me in below requirement. Instance =5 (it is user parameter) total=52 (it is user parameter i need to split this to 5 and reminder as 1 instances totally 6 for example i need to splitt to each 52/5=10.4 1-10 11-20 21-30 31-40 41-50 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion with the concept of wc -c and wc -m

Is wc -c and wc -m same ? Shellscript::cat file1 hello Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -c 6 Shellscript::cat file1 | wc -m 6 Shellscript::file file1 file1: ASCII text Shellscript::uname -a Linux was85host 2.6.27.45-0.1-vmi #1 SMP 2010-02-22 16:49:47 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/LinuxAtleast... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellscripting
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Errexit APPEARS set in subshells

Hi there, Everyone knows that errexit is NOT inherited by subshells. But does anyone know why errexit still appears as set with set +o? The following example highlights the fact that errexit appears set in a subshell (set +o) even though it's actually unset (it does NOT exit with false). $... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variables to subshells

So i have a script that is like this: #!/bin/sh VARA="elementary 1 elementary 2 nursery A nursery B highschool AZ" echo "${ContentOfADifferentSCRIPT}" | sh i do not have control over the script that is inside the variable "${ContentOfADifferentSCRIPT}". however, i know that the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - read a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
var ... DESCRIPTION
reads a single line from standard input. The line is split into fields as when processed by the shell (refer to shells in the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are more fields than there are specified var operands, the remaining fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are more vars than fields, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var operands affect the current shell execution environment. Standard input to can be redirected from a text file. Since affects the current shell execution environment, it is usually provided as a normal shell special (built-in) command. Thus, if it is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment similar to the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environment: Options recognizes the following options: Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Opperands recognizes the following operands: var The name of an existing or nonexisting shell variable. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: 0 Successful completion. >0 End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
Print a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line. while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
read(1)