Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need a script to check if an argument is valid shell variable Post 302888041 by pingiliarjun on Wednesday 12th of February 2014 11:07:33 AM
Old 02-12-2014
This is what I have written but I am not sure if it is correct as I am new to UNIX
Code:

#!/bin/sh
FirstChar = cut -c1 $1
if [FirstChar -eq A-z] || [FirstChar -eq a-z]|| [FirstChar -eq '%']
then
    Echo "yes"
else
    Echo "no"
fi

Let me know if it is correct.

Thanks

Last edited by vbe; 02-12-2014 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: code tags...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the valid paths in the shell script

Hi i am using a shell script for renaming the files and placing in the remote location(FTP) my code is: cd $1 day=$(date +%d) for i in `ls -1 BBW*` do last=`tail -1 $i` pat=`expr "$last" : '.*(\(.*\)).*'` pat=`echo $pat | sed 's/ /_/'` pat=$pat$day mv $i $pat rm -f $day done... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivsn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to assign script argument to a variable

I have a script file. test.sh I am running it by command sh test.sh 10102004 where 10102004 is the script argument. I wan to assign this 10102004 to a variable. How can i do this? I tried &1 and awks ARGV its not working :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohankit
2 Replies

3. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash shell - Check if value is valid directory.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The script usage will be as follows: library.third source_directory - Your script will display an appropriate error message and exit with status 3 if no parameters are given - Your script will display an appropriate error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: netmaster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check for valid password

I need to check if an account has a valid password. Would something like this work? read ACCNAME if grep -q "^$ACCNAME:\$6:" /etc/shadow; thenI noticed every entry in my shadow file that has a password starts with $6 ... it works for my current setup, but would it always work? I can't test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ADay2Long
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that check the argument passed to it and prints error if test condition is not met

I want to make a script that check for the argument passed to it and generates an error in case any character/string argument passed to it. I am using below code, but its not working. can anyone help. #!/bin/bash if ]; then echo 'An integer argument is passed to the script hence... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable as an argument to another script

Hi, I am trying to pass a variable as an argument to another script. While substitution of variable, I am facing a problem. varaiable "a" value should be -b "FPT MAIN". When we pass "a" to another script, we are expecing it to get substitue as ./test.sh -b "FPT MAIN". But, it is getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manasa Pradeep
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if time format is valid

How can I validate if time (HH:MM:SS) argument is valid? I got this from web but I can't modify it to exit the script if the time argument is invalid. echo $1 | awk -F ':' '{ print ($1 <= 23 && $2 <= 59 && $3 <= 59) ? "good" : "bad" }' ex: ./script.ksh 12:34:21 = okay ./script.ksh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for valid hostnames

Hello, I am trying to develop a script to check for valid hostnames. Below are the prerequisites for a valid hostname which I got from wiki : Hostnames are composed of series of labels concatenated with dots, as are all domain names. For example, "en.wikipedia.org" is a hostname. Each label... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
8 Replies
TPING(1)							   LAM COMMANDS 							  TPING(1)

NAME
tping - Send echo messages to LAM nodes. SYNOPSIS
tping [-hv] [-c count] [-d delay] [-l length] nodes OPTIONS
-h Print the command help menu. -v Turn OFF verbose mode. -c count Send count messages. -d delay Delay delay seconds between each message. -l length Each message is length bytes long. DESCRIPTION
The tping command sends messages to, and collects replies from, a list of nodes, via the LAM echo server. It is similar to the UNIX ping(8) command, and is used as a quick diagnosis of the LAM network. Unless options are specified, tping sends a 1 byte message an infinite number of times, displaying the roundtrip time of each message as it completes, with a delay of 1 second between roundtrips. After the loop is broken (with keyboard interrupt, eg: ^C), tping prints statis- tics about all roundtrip messages. EXAMPLES
tping h Echo messages to the local node. tping -v n7 -l 1000 -c 10 Echo 1000 byte messages to node 7. Stay silent while working. Stop after 10 roundtrips and report statistics. BUGS
There is no built-in timeout and tping will wait forever to receive an echo. If no echo is received, due to a dead link or node, tping hangs. Stop the process with a keyboard suspend signal (eg: ^Z) and terminate LAM with lamhalt(1) or lamwipe(1) (although the use of lamwipe(1) is deprecated). SEE ALSO
lamhalt(1), lamwipe(1) LAM 7.1.4 July, 2007 TPING(1)