Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk Question: How to remove lines in which $3 == $1 +4 Post 302887914 by livbaddeley on Tuesday 11th of February 2014 02:15:11 PM
Old 02-11-2014
I apologise for not being more specific.

I am using Linux, bash shell.

I get no error message when implementing, however the output file I get is completely blank, although I know for sure that there are lines in the input file that match the pattern.

I use awk in otherways by just typing "awk" and it works fine.

Many thanks,
Liv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove all blank lines in shell or awk.

Hi there, I want to trim space between lines in unix. I have a file named abc.txt with 2,00,000 lines.But useful are only a few. Please tell me how to delete the blank lines.:o (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tushar_tus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited

Awk to remove Blank lines in pipedelimited Help me correct this. nawk -F"|" '{a=$0; gsub(FS, "",a); if(length(a)) print}' file1 nawk -F"|" '{gsub(FS, "",$0);if(length($0)) print}' file1 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove lines before and after with awk / sed ?

Hi guys, I need to remove the pattern (ID=180), one line before and four lines after. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashimada
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove duplicate lines using awk

Hi, I came to know that using awk '!x++' removes the duplicate lines. Can anyone please explain the above syntax. I want to understand how the above awk syntax removes the duplicates. Thanks in advance, sudvishw :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom using AWK?

How to remove x lines form top and y lines form bottom. This works, but like awk only cat file | head -n-y | awk 'NR>(x-1)' so remove last 3 lines and 5 firstcat file | head -n-3 | awk 'NR>4' (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk to remove lines

Hi, I have a file with contents. file1: <2013 tttaaa abc123 <2013 gggdddd <2013 sssssss <2013 eeeee I need to remove the lines which do not have the word "tttaaa" can some one help ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from output in files using awk

I have two large files (~250GB) that I am trying to remove the where GT: 0/0 or 1/1 or 2/2 for both files. I was going to use a bash with the below awk, which I think will find each line but how do I remove that line is that condition is found? Thank you :). Input 20 60055 . A ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk to remove lines from file that match text

I am trying to remove each line in which $2 is FP or RFP. I believe the below will remove one instance but not both. Thank you :). file 12 123 FP 11 10 RFP awk awk -F'\t' ' $2 != "FP"' file desired output 12 11 (6 Replies)
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD