Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Search, and add if present
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search, and add if present Post 302887492 by loba on Saturday 8th of February 2014 06:37:00 AM
Old 02-08-2014
Dear tukuyomi,

yes, position $7 can have a list of possible values not just aa1. The same is true for $8 and $9. I was thinking I could first work on position $7. Save the file and continue with the next one. Your suggestion works the problem is I would have to create a text file for all possible values, safe it and run it. I was wondering if you know a better way? I tired a for loop (and an array) to get all the items for e.g. $7 but it did not work.

---------- Post updated at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:31 PM ----------

Dear Don Cragun,

You are right. I was thinking of doing one list after the other. Like I tried to describe in my last post.

Code:
for ITEMS in 'cat item_at_position_7.list'
do
   ???
done < in.txt > out7.txt

I know the for loop does not work Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search a word in a file present in tar file

i need to search a word in the tar file. if it is present just give me the file name please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junkbuster
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

search pattern present in second field

Hi All, I have a file with following list. example 1 ======== cat 1.txt -------- 0000cab4752c 0000dab47c2c ... ... ... Also i have another file 2.txt in which the data is in this format as shown: cat 2.txt ---------... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: imas
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search Pattern and add column

Hi, I have two files. file1 contents: aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg ddd www eee ggg dde qqq zzz hhh ddd file2 contents: mmm mmm mmm mmm Now I want to add file2 contents to end of lines in file1 where a line contains pattern "ddd" and it should look like this: file3 contents: aaa... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: harjitsingh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a pattern and add new line below

Hi, I have 2 files like below. File A: apple mango File B: start abc def apple ghi end start cba fed (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for string and add the second line below

Hi there, i have an /etc/hosts file that is organised in sections, like this # # Oracle Servers # 1.1.1.1 boxa 2.2.2.2 boxb 9.9.9.9 boxj # # Prod Sybase Servers # 6.6.6.6 boxt 4.4.4.4 boxz I am just trying to write a line of code that will ill be able to pass the comment block... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and add the column in the file

Hi All, I have the Overview.csv file like below format Message ID Sendout Group Name Email Subject Name Type Rcpts Responses Response Rate Open Rate Click Rate 2000009723 01-22-2014 16:14 Test_GroupPQA2013 000123@yahoo.com INFO RISQUE D'INONDATION... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armsaran
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to add to the search path - bin?

Hi, Now I have: /Users/okn/bin for my private shell scripts. How do I add /Users/okn/bin to my PATH? The PATH is right now: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin The .bash_profile doesn't state anything about a PATH (yet). I read about this: PATH=/bin:$PATH
 export PATH or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OmarKN
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add comment if not present

I have a file cat /root/file #import node1 #import node2 import node2 import node4 After sed/awk operation the file should be as follows cat /root/file #import node1 #import node2 #import node2 #import node4 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a file which is also present in another file in UNIX

Hi there, I am new to Unix and had below requirement to finish my task. I have file1.dat which has data as shown below. case1.txt case2.txt case3.txt case4.txt file1.dat has only file names I have folder which has above files mentioned in file1.dat ./all_files case1.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raj028
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to ignore replacing a search string if it is already present

Hello, I am searching the following string Folder^ in a file and replacing it with Folder^/ However if the file already contains Folder^/ I want to avoid replacing it with Folder^// To do this I have to do the following today: 1) echo "Folder^" | sed 's/Folder\^/Folder\^\//g' I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri12
2 Replies
XTERMCONTROL(1) 						   User Commands						   XTERMCONTROL(1)

NAME
xtermcontrol - dynamic control of XFree86 xterm properties. SYNOPSIS
xtermcontrol [OPTIONS]... DESCRIPTION
xtermcontrol makes it easy to change colors, title, font and geometry of a running XFree86 xterm(1), as well as to report the current set- tings of the aforementioned properties. Window manipulations de-/iconify, raise/lower, maximize/restore and reset are also supported. To complete the feature set; xtermcontrol lets advanced users issue any xterm control sequence of their choosing. OPTIONS
--fg=COLOR Set foreground color (see also COLOR NAMES). --bg=COLOR Set background color. --colorN=COLOR Set N'th [0-15] color. --highlight=COLOR Set highlight color. --cursor=COLOR Set cursor color. --mouse-fg=COLOR Set mouse pointer foreground color. --mouse-bg=COLOR Set mouse pointer background color. --font=FONT Set font name (see also FONT NAMES). Alternatively it is possible to specify a fontmenu index as '#[0-6]' or navigate the fontmenu by relative sizes as '#+N' or '#-N', where N is an optional integer. --title=STRING Set window title. Note that mechanisms like the bash(1) PROMPT_COMMAND may overwrite the title. --geometry=WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF Set size and/or position. Through its control sequences the xterm only recognize positive XOFF and YOFF offsets, which are pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. xtermcontrol is therefore unable to handle negative offsets as described in the X(7x) GEOMETRY SPECIFICATIONS and therefore truncates negative values to zero. --get-fg Report foreground color. --get-bg Report background color. --get-colorN Report N'th [0-15] color. --get-highlight Report highlight color. --get-cursor Report cursor color. --get-mouse-fg Report mouse pointer foreground color. --get-mouse-bg Report mouse pointer background color. --get-font Report font. --get-title Report window title. --get-geometry Report size and position. The size of the text area is reported in characters and the position is reported in pixels relative to the upper left hand corner of the display. --maximize Maximize window. --restore Restore maximized window. --iconify Iconify window. --de-iconify De-iconify window. --raise Raise window. --lower Lower window. --reset Full reset. --raw=CTLSEQS Issue raw control sequence (see also XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES). --file=FILE Force xtermcontrol to read configurations (see also CONFIGURATION) from FILE instead of the standard personal initialization file ~/.xtermcontrol. --force, -f Skip TERM environment variable check. --verbose, -v Print verbose reports. --help, -h Print help message and exit. --version Print the version number and exit. CONFIGURATION
xtermcontrol reads a default, ~/.xtermcontrol, or a user specified configuration file on startup. Each line in the file is either a com- ment or contains an attribute. Attributes consist of a keyword and an associated value: keyword = value # comment The valid keyword/value combinations are: foreground="COLOR" background="COLOR" highlight="COLOR" cursor="COLOR" mouse-foreground="COLOR" mouse-background="COLOR" geometry="WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF" font="FONT" color0="COLOR" color1="COLOR" color2="COLOR" color3="COLOR" color4="COLOR" color5="COLOR" color6="COLOR" color7="COLOR" color8="COLOR" color9="COLOR" color10="COLOR" color11="COLOR" color12="COLOR" color13="COLOR" color14="COLOR" color15="COLOR" Whitespace is ignored in attributes unless within a quoted value. The character '#' is taken to begin a comment. Each '#' and all remaining characters on that line is ignored. FONT NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) FONT NAMES. Font names like '-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--10-100-75-75-m-60-iso8859-1' are very cumber- some to write, so it is convenient to make use of aliases, e.g. 'fixed' or '8x13', if present in fonts.alias files of the font directo- ries. COLOR NAMES
xtermcontrol accepts any X(7x) COLOR NAMES. Basically this means that colors are specified by name or rgb value, e.g. 'blue', 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF' or '#00F'. Colors are typically reported by the xterm in a device-dependent numerical form, e.g. 'rgb:0000/0000/FFFF'. Note that old syntax rgb values should always be quoted to avoid '#' being interpreted as the beginning of a comment by the shell (see also FILES). XTERM CONTROL SEQUENCES
The secret behind xtermcontrol is xterm control sequences. All the possible (there are a plethora of them) control sequences are documented in ctlseqs.txt, found in the xterm(1) distribution (see also FILES). TROUBLESHOOTING
If read/write permissions on the tty's are changed so that special group membership is required to be able to write to the pseudo terminal, the easiest workaround is to install xtermcontrol setuid root. Xterm(1) has three resources, allowWindowOps, allowTitleOps, and allowFontOps, that enables or disables special operations which xtermcon- trol relies on. If any of these resources are set (or defaults) to 'false' xtermcontrol may hang. The resources corresponds to xtermcon- trol options as: allowWindowOps: --raise --lower --restore --maximize --iconify --de-iconify --get-title --geometry --get-geometry allowTitleOps: --title allowFontOps: --font --get-font All three resources can usually be enabled for the current xterm session via a menu; ctrl+rightclick and look for menu item names like 'Allow Window Ops'. To set these resource values persistently you can add the following to either your local ~/.Xdefaults file, or to a system-wide resource file like /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm: *VT100.allowWindowOps: true *VT100.allowTitleOps: true *VT100.allowFontOps: true FILES
<XRoot>/X11/rgb.txt Default rgb color name file location. ctlseqs.txt Xterm control sequences documentation. Distributed with xterm from http://dickey.his.com/xterm/ SEE ALSO
xterm(1), X(7x) COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2009 Jess Thrysoee <jess@thrysoee.dk> xtermcontrol 2.10 October 17, 2009 XTERMCONTROL(1)