Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checksum Comparison and listing out the differences Post 302886978 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 4th of February 2014 05:26:29 PM
Old 02-04-2014
Can I also suggest:

1. Check command line parameters and print quick usage info, consider -h help parameter and the ability to pass prompted value in as command options.

2 .Proper validation of entered data/parameters, e.g. ensure response to y/n prompts is valid (what are you using d1 and d2 for anyway), ip addresses are pingable

3. Good naming of function and variables - try to describe what they do/store e.g. "comparison" is less than informative.

4. Try to write a manual page that fully describes the script and any pre-requisites.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checksum question

in HPUX: I am copying oracle datafiles from one mountpoint to another the total size is about 250Gb. I wanted to perform a checksum on the target and make sure the files came overy properly. Mountpoints: /s01 to /u01 /s02 to /u02 I tried using "SUM" on these mountpoints but its taking... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
1 Replies

3. SCO

checksum

Does anyone know the answer to this? When I run "sum -r" on a file that I've down loaded from the sco website, the 1st set of numbers differs from the checksum on the download page but the 2nd set matches. If I try to install the patch, I get errors. Anyone has an answer? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jn5519
3 Replies

4. Solaris

checksum

Anyone can tell me the different between "cksum" and "sum" command on Solaris? I read the man pages but still not get it. And how to display the md5 checksum for a file. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redstone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checksum+SFTP

Hi ALL, I use solaris OS and SFTP to get/put files from remote server.I use the below command , sftp user@host<<EOF cd "dir" get --checksum "filename" EOF I am getting a strange error as " get --checksum INVALID paramter". It has been working succesfully since last 3 years but all of a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohanpadamata
1 Replies

7. Solaris

md5 checksum what does it do

Hello good people, I came across md5 checksum. Can anyone please explain to me what it does and if possible an example of how to use it? Thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjashu
1 Replies

8. IP Networking

Wireshark UDP checksum bad checksum

Hello I am communicating with two devices using my computer over UDP protocol. The application is running fine. When I monitored the UDP traffic using Wireshark software, I found that there were too many Checksum errors. Please find attached the png file showing this error. I am about to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AustinCann
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to remove listing of current user cmd from ps -ef listing?

Hi All, Could you please help to resolve my following issues: Problem Description: Suppose my user name is "MI90". i.e. $USER = MI90 when i run below command, i get all the processes running on the system containing name MQ. ps -ef | grep MQ But sometimes it lists... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDMishra
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to get checksum of itself

is there a way to get a script to do a checksum on itself? something like this: #!/bin/sh myexpectedsig=$(cksum $0 | awk '{print $1}') if ; then exit else who uptime date fi im looking for something that would always represent the running script, which is why im... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD